Author Topic: Henry Quinn - What is going on?  (Read 5400 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Quinn - What is going on?
« on: Friday 30 July 10 15:56 BST (UK) »
Hi chatters,

I'm seeking some clarity please, on what i have literally just discovered about my gt gt grandfather, Henry Quinn.

Looking at his war pension papers today, on September 9th 1914 when he was examined, Henry Quinn, a bricklayer born in Ireland (Belfast so he states) but living in Scotland with his wife Ellen, says he is 44 years and 93 days old. I calculate that to mean he was born around June 1870, and census records for him 1881-1901 in Scotland, and his death certificate all point towards him being born in 1870/71.

However, I have never been able to find his birth. I've tried as some other chatters have to locate it in Antrim under his parents, Henry and Margaret Ann (nee McGuigan), but no luck.

Now this is where I believe the answer to lie. Henry's parents as mentioned, Henry and Margaret Ann, were actually married in Scotland, but were both Irish born. This cert has Margaret changing her name to McGee, and the marriage took place in St. Mary's Chapel, Glasgow. The registration district is Bridgeton, and both Henry and Margaret at the time are living together at 33 Green Street, Calton. This marriage was in December 1870, some six months before Henry Jnr's birth (if the war record is to be believed). So now it seems Henry 1870/1 was born outside of wedlock.

Yet still I am unable to find a certificate reference for him on the rootsireland site (formerly brs). To add further confusion to the mix, Henry Snr is listed as a widower on his marriage in Scotland. Here is a summary:

Henry Quinn marriees Margaret McKenna at Portadown RC Church, Drumcree, Lurgan, Armagh on October 13 1867, and they have Catherine Ann Quinn, born in Belfast a year later, almost exactly. I do not know what happened to Margaret McKenna or Catherine, but between Catherine's birth and December 1870, Henry has fathered a child around June 1870, and then moved to Scotland to marry Margaret Ann McGuigan.

Can anybody advise me where to go from here please? Mum and I are sitting here completely baffled!
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Quinn - What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 July 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
have you tried the Civil BMD Index for his birth ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 July 10 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I have tried the Civil Indexes yes, and unless I am blind, have always been unsuccessful :-\ I've never been able to fathom it out, I cannot even find a registration for a Henry McGuigan either, given it seems he was born out of wedlock.

By the way, that's a nice thread you have there. Nice one!! :)

Matt

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 July 10 16:34 BST (UK) »
Have you already tried ordering the certs for the Henry Quinns born in Antrim/Down around 1870 ?

e.g.

Name: Henry Quinn
 Registration District: Belfast
 Event Type: birth
 Year: 1870
 volume : 16 / page : 359

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 July 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I did not order the cert but had a look on the rootsireland site a few months ago and found this :

Name Henry Quinn
Gender Male
Birth date 09 Dec 1870
Birth place Antrim, Ireland
Father name Henry Quinn
Mother name Alice Mc Cann
Batch number C01211-6
Record group Ireland-EASy
Film number 101215
Reference number v 16-1 p 359

As you can this is a different Henry Quinn. I remember thinking "I've got him" then only to see Alice McCann as mother.

Regards,

Matt

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 July 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
I did not order the cert but had a look on the rootsireland site a few months ago and found this :

Name Henry Quinn
Gender Male
Batch number C01211-6
Record group Ireland-EASy
Film number 101215
Reference number v 16-1 p 359

based on the reference details that record looks like it's an extracted record from the familysearch website, rather than RootsIreland (IFHF)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 July 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Apologies, familysearch is where it comes from. I bought the record from rootsireland a few months back and that record has since gone out of view (as they do), which matched Alice as that particular Henry's mother.

Matt.

Offline Mightyquinn81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 September 15 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt, how are you doing? I've been researching my family tree on and off for about a year, and have found that I have a Henry Quinn as my great great grandfather too. He was from Armagh and settled in Belfast around 1900 also.

Just wondering did you solve your problem above and if you have any info that may help me connect some dots too?

Best wishes

Phil Quinn

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 September 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
I'm not being cheeky but are you sure you have a correct marriage.....

"Now this is where I believe the answer to lie. Henry's parents as mentioned, Henry and Margaret Ann, were actually married in Scotland, but were both Irish born. This cert has Margaret changing her name to McGee, and the marriage took place in St. Mary's Chapel, Glasgow. The registration district is Bridgeton, and both Henry and Margaret at the time are living together at 33 Green Street, Calton. This marriage was in December 1870"

It just seems to be a bit out with the surname from McGuigan to McGee.
I could understand a change/transcription error for a name like McKiggan/McGuigan but McGee just seems so far out.

Just a thought  ???

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"