Author Topic: John Stanley Exell  (Read 14536 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Stanley Exell
« Reply #63 on: Friday 13 October 17 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi to everyone reading this thread,

Here is a link to a thread that is currently locked and which had already been marked complete.  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=780337.0 
Even a cursory reading shows that much of the info posted there is duplicating (triplicating) the earlier efforts of several volunteer RChatters.  I am sure we can all empathise with our fellow RChatters who are concerned about the apparent disregard and disrespect shown for much of the research already undertaken.   I see that the original poster of THIS thread has not made many posts, and has not posted recently.  That does NOT mean that the info they posted is any less valid or stale or unwelcome, and so it should be considered with integrity.  I mention this because it is apparent that that OP holds the 1903 marriage cert and the 1903 birth cert.  And that the 23 year old groom did NOT provide the given names of either of his parents nor the maiden name of his mum when marrying in 1903 at Stanley, Tasmania.  I too hope that the chap Dundee has suggested is able to assist further with any further details about the groom’s parents (reply #14 on ‘other’ thread).. 

Back about eight years ago quite a number of regulars on this Australia board helped with suggestions towards the “HOW TO” thread that is stickied to this board.  Here is the link: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=368728.0  part of reply #1 there reads:
We all know how frustrating it can we to desperately require information that is not forthcoming. Duplicate Requests do cause problems.  Our volunteers can become grumpy when they realize that they have just used their time and resources on a problem which has been answered elsewhere. We also have those posting the queries becoming upset when somebody mentions the duplication. The last thing we want is anger and hurt feelings. We all want a smooth running board with queries being answered as quickly and efficiently as possible. Far better for the Poster's and for the Look up Volunteers alike.
If you do have other threads where you previously received help with this person, please be sure to add the link(s) your new thread.

I see no reason for ignoring that advice.  I do not understand why any person who posts seeking help with some aspect of their own family history needs to overlook Good Manners or to trample down on the goodness of our family history community by using derogatory comments to hector any other RChatter. I certainly agree with Kezzza (#17 ‘other thread’) that people need to reread what they post before they do.  I see that Kezzza has been a member of RChat since 6 September 2017, so about six weeks.   I am quite sure that there’s no reason to post that any RChatter thinks they know ‘EVERYTHING’ as I am quite sure that no RChatter believes that about themselves.  I feel sure that given time and experience that Kezzza will come to the view that there is no reason to become aggrieved.  RChatters who look up their own resources and or visit archives or fund their own subscriptions or purchase certificates to help advance others requests are simply our fellow members and do not deserve to be admonished or derided or adversely criticised for mentioning on the public board that the answers have already been provided by other RChatters.   I have mentioned it elsewhere on RChat, that I see nothing wrong in any RChatter preparing their own family history in the way and with the information and sources that they choose.   I become concerned though when any RChatter asks in the public forum for help with their own research and then berates one or two of those who respond.   

I am turning off notifications to this thread.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 13 October 17 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Majm,

I think you may have misunderstood my intention of the post.

I am very greatly for everyone's effort which I have expressed many times before.

What infuriates me is the way certain people talk to others. Did I aim it at anyone in particular? I choose to not point it at anyone in particular because then I would just be as bad as the people who I am talking about.

All I was saying is people do not need to be rude to each other and to stop and read what they post before they do.

Your point about me only been a member of this forum for a short time (I have in fact been using this forum for a long time but had not signed up, but that's beside the point) there is no reason why I do not have the right to point out an issue which is happening not just on threads I am looking for information on but also on other threads I have read. Sadly I can see there are 2 or 3 people who treat people poorly on here. No one has the right to sit behind a keyboard and be rude to people. Which is why I suggest to you and other people that in any platform before you post something to think about this 'Would I say what I am posting to their face?' I bet if you did that you would change the way you write things I know it has made me think about what I write.

Have a lovely day. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 13 October 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
I acknowledge receipt of a PM from Kezza. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kezzza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Stanley EXELL
« Reply #66 on: Friday 13 October 17 05:29 BST (UK) »
No worries, Raylen.....   ;)

Here's the marriage.....

John Stanley EXELL aged 49 and divorced married Hildegarde Myra COX aged 46 and divorced on 31st January 1936 at the Registry Office, Adelaide.
Fathers = John William EXELL & Henry Robert COX
Ref = Ade 364/354

Dee   :)

Hi Dee,

It is interesting that he has put his age down as 49 as that would make his birth in 1887 and not 1879/1880 that we had thought it was. It is possible that he lied about his age at the time of the marriage but its a big difference.

What are your thoughts?

Kerryn

Online sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 13 October 17 07:06 BST (UK) »
Quote from Kezza on the locked post- Reply #17 Page 2

".......The reason I marked this as completed is that I am sick of the b*****ness and attitudes of some people.......

I can honestly say in all my many, many years on Rooschat, I have never seen this word used on the public board. Nor have I come across it used in any Private Message.
The PM system I am quite sure,  used to have an automatic filter system which converted the word  (to  something inoffensive)  if it were typed in any Personal Message.   I do not know whether the filter still exists, I will make inquiries.

I wonder if sufficient pre-thought and pre-reading  was given prior to clicking that 'post' button on that particular reply.

I feel most uncomfortable about seeing such language in this forum and I will strive to have it deleted.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 13 October 17 11:04 BST (UK) »
The swear word has been removed, it was one naughty word that we had not thought of. This topic is now locked for the same reason the other topic has been locked.

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk