Author Topic: McDonald  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDonald
« on: Tuesday 03 August 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Trying to find information on Murdock McDonald born probably Skye 1834.   Murdock McDonald immigrated to Prince Edward Island about 1858.  He married a Jessie MacDonald daughter of Charles MacDonald and Mary Buchanan and their first son Alexander was born in 1861 in PEI.
Murdock is a widower in the 1881 census and Charles is living with him and listed as a widower also.
Murdock settled in lot 60 in a place called Glenmartin.  Jessie died around 1880 and Murdoch married an Annie MacLeod in 1884.

Thanks, Jane

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 15:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Jehane,

you might want to consider trying to contact Donald Campbell on the Isle of Harris he has a lot of family history about the MacDonalds.
My grgrans sister married a James Hamilton they had two children. Agnes married a Neill MacDonald from Harris and his parents were Roderick MacDonald and Catherine Campbell
One of Rodericks brothers was called Murdo, as was his uncle etc. etc.
Donald keeps his family tree on Genes, but I think that there is also a site which there may be a link to from RC where it lists most of the names on that tree, or you can join and submit your entries for family research.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Jehane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch McDonald
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 March 16 18:42 BST (UK) »
It's been several years since my last posting on Murdoch McDonald and I've found a lot of information  on his life after he immigrated from Skye to Prince Edward Island in 1858. A newspaper article on his death says he immigrated by himself.    According to his death certificate he was born on the Isle of Skye on March 17/1834 and died in Boston Feb 14/1911.  No parents named on the death certificate and his remains were shipped back to PEI for burial in Valleyfield Cemetery accompied by his grandson Hubert Bears.  Have tried Scotlands People but not much luck a few possibilities but expect he was born in Kilmuir-Uig area on Skye.  Many settlers who came to PEI around 1858 were from that area of Skye just wondering if anyone may have come across the name while researching.

Thank you.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Murdoch McDonald
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 03:14 BST (UK) »
It's been several years since my last posting on Murdoch McDonald and I've found a lot of information  on his life after he immigrated from Skye to Prince Edward Island in 1858. A newspaper article on his death says he immigrated by himself.    According to his death certificate he was born on the Isle of Skye on March 17/1834 and died in Boston Feb 14/1911.  No parents named on the death certificate and his remains were shipped back to PEI for burial in Valleyfield Cemetery accompied by his grandson Hubert Bears.  Have tried Scotlands People but not much luck a few possibilities but expect he was born in Kilmuir-Uig area on Skye.  Many settlers who came to PEI around 1858 were from that area of Skye just wondering if anyone may have come across the name while researching.try contctin angus swain geneologist for sky people

Thank you.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet