Author Topic: Robert Williams (Bala) 1744-1815  (Read 2802 times)

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert Williams (Bala) 1744-1815
« on: Friday 06 August 10 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know anything about the above or any descendants of? He was one of Merioneth's "old poets" and responsible for the englyn that contained the words "beibl i bawb o bobol y byd".
He lived in the Pandy Isa, Rhiwaedog, Llanfor, and had four daughters, Jane Margaret, Ellinor & Elizabeth. One of these married my GGG grandather Evan Jones of which I'm researching.
many thanks.

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Williams (Bala) 1744-1815
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 August 10 16:14 BST (UK) »
Have you seen his entry on Welsh Biography Online?

http://yba.llgc.org.uk/en/s-WILL-ROB-1744.html

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 August 10 16:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, many thanks, I have, although little is know about his life, (I have a copy of his will), his works are well documented. I'm sure out there somewhere is knowledge, probably written in someone's family bible, about his four daughters of which one is my GGG grandmother. Chapel records are poor (Llwyneinion) but I feel (a hunch ) she was Elizabeth. The other sister Ellinor became a Roberts (census 1841/Tithe apportionments).
I'm very grateful to you for taking an interest.
JAJ

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 August 10 19:38 BST (UK) »
According to the Merioneth marriage index an Elizabeth Roberts married an Evan Jones on 3rd May 1815 at Llanfor / Llanfawr parish church (chapel marriages would have been illegal at this time). Could this be your ggg grandmother?

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 August 10 20:07 BST (UK) »
Yes it is the one that fits best as John, the son, was born in 1817, although there is an earlier marriage (from memory) to Jane that fits also but I agree, instinct tells me it's Elizabeth (John's only daughter was Elizabeth).I think a trip to Llanfor is in the pipeline or an investment of £11 in the Llanfor parish cemetery records.
Again many thanks for your interest but I think somewhere, someone has this already documented (judging by the manuscripts deposited at the NLW) & allusions made from their grandsons obituaries.
JAJ

Offline jajones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 August 10 07:55 BST (UK) »
I forgot to add she was born in 1779 which made her 37 when John was born & in her fourties when Evan jr was born in 1823. Possible but goes against the grain. (Margaret born in 1786 is a better bet there)
Regards,
JAJ