Author Topic: looking for family.......Hoggan  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Barb3118

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
looking for family.......Hoggan
« on: Wednesday 11 August 10 01:09 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Barb and I am new to this site and i am trying to find some family tree members....the only info that i have is as follows.

William Hoggan born in Grennok Scotland (we believe) and died before 1912. Before his daughter got married.  He was married 2 times and had a total of 4 living children that we know of. 

He married Elizabeth (Wood) before 1876 and she died Apr. 25, 1876. (few days after child birth)
They had 2 children :
1) Janet Armor Hoggan b. 1870
2) William John Hoggan b. April 19, 1876 and he died on Jan 1, 1877.  In 1876 William was a 2nd Officer Barque on "Helen Isabel".

William remarried Vertue Mercer on Jan 26, 1878. in St. John's Newfoundland. (these are my gg-grandparents)
Vertue  b.  Jan 26, 1850. in St. John's Newfoundland. Her name might be spelt (Virtue)
William and Vertue had the following children :
3) Ethal Hoggan b. April 9, 1888 in Little Bay Islands, Newfoundland.
4) Williamina Margret Hoggan b. Jan 20, 1890 in Grennok, Scotland. She died on Jan 29, 1962 in St. John's Newfoundland.  In 1890 William was a Seaman Mate.
Vertue had a few miscarriages because she was on the ship.  I was told by my grandmother.

Looking forward to finding more family out there.
Keep in touch
Barb

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: looking for family.......Hoggan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 August 10 02:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb
Welcome to Rootschat
not sure if you already have this info,
there are some of your family on the inverclyde BMD site
http://www.inverclyde.gov.uk/community-life-and-leisure/libraries/local-and-family-history/family-history/watt-library-births-marriages-deaths-index/
there are three births on IGI for William and Eliza
Elizabeth Wood Hoggen 1872
Janet Armour Hoggen 1870 she married a Samuel Thomson in Greenock 1912
and William Hoggen 1874
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline IamNewfie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 August 17 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Barb, how goes the search for your GG Grandparents William and Virtue Hoggan? My name is Jody and for the past couple months I've been preparing to dig into my family roots before the information is lost for ever. My mother is the only one left who has this knowledge, everyone else has passed on. I've been searching for a William Hogan, Virtue Cook (we were told Cook was her last name but you have it listed as Mercer - was she married before??) and daughter Ethel Hogan from Scotland with not much success. I started checking different spellings for Hogan or Hoggan and different spellings for Virtue or Vertue when I came across your message. There are too many similarities for me to ignore so I've decided to contact you. I'm originally from Little Bay Islands, NL where my mom's family lived and she still lives today. My mom's Grandmother (my Great Grandmother) is Ethel Gates (Hoggan) and her Great Grandparents (my GG Grandparents) are William and Virtue Hoggan. Ethel married John Gates and had 2 kids Hettie (my grandmother) and Duncan on Little Bay Islands. I don't know if these are the same people or not be it sure sounds like it. Please let me know if you have already found your relatives and/or if these are the same people. If not you can ignore and I will continue my search. optimistically looking forward to hearing from you.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 August 17 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hello  Jody and welcome to rootschat.

Unfortunately Barb has not been active on rootschat since 22 August 2010, and didn't reply to elaine's post, so she may not see your post.

(It does sound like there are many similarities in your family trees!)

Offline IamNewfie77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 August 17 12:04 BST (UK) »
I noticed that she hasn't been on in a long time. Is there some way to send a direct message to her through email? I also looked on other board and found that she hasn't been there since 2010 either. She would receive a message in her email alerting her of the post. I even searched facebook, but not sure which one is her. thanks for the reply.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 August 17 18:53 BST (UK) »
I noticed that she hasn't been on in a long time. Is there some way to send a direct message to her through email? I also looked on other board and found that she hasn't been there since 2010 either. She would receive a message in her email alerting her of the post. I even searched facebook, but not sure which one is her. thanks for the reply.

Members only get notifications if 1) it's a current email address (many people forget to update email after making a change) or 2) they haven't turned off notifications for the topic/all topics
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Barb3118

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 01:13 GMT (UK) »
Sorry that I have not been on for long time.  I was dealing with a couple of surgeries for myself and our daughter that passed away from cancer.   

Jody it sounds like we might have a connection.  We need to chat some more for sure.  I found records where William and Vertue got married and they are both listed as this was their first marriage, but we know that William was married before.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Barb

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 18 16:50 GMT (UK) »
William Hoggen 21 married his first wife Eliza Wood 1st Feb 1869 Greenock - his parents William Hoggen, Shipwright Journeyman decd and Janet Armour (decd).

His parents married 17 Aug 1843 Greenock - and he was b.29 May 1848 Greenock.

Don't know when William senior was born but he was the son of a James and Helen/Ellen.

In 1851 William junior is with his widowed grandmother in Greenock - family transcribed as 'Huggins' on both Ancestry and FindMyPast.   Although shown as a boarder, he is still with his grandmother in 1861.  In 1871 Helen's surname is Hogen!

Grandmother Helen's death was as Helen Hogen 87, widow of James Hogen, Customs Officer, died 17 June 1877 Greenock - informant son David.   Her parents given as James Stewart, seaman and Helen Yuill.

Familysearch shows 3 children to James and Helen baptised Greenock:

Sarah Hugans b.1/4/1821
Jean Huggins b.11/1/1823
James b.10/1/1825

James Hoggans married Helen Stewart 13th October 1810 Greenock - so there should be some earlier children between 1810 and 1820.   Searched on Scotlands People and found 2 more, this time surname is Hugan:

James b.17 Apr 1814
William b.24/3/1816

So, the latter is the father of William b.1848, son of William and Janet nee Armour.

An awful lot of variant spellings of Hoggan!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk