Author Topic: William Monaghan 1866 Wolverhampton, England ?  (Read 3445 times)

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Monaghan 1866 Wolverhampton, England ?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 August 10 09:13 BST (UK) »
once again i am soooooooooooooooooooooooo sorry (and feel so stupid as i sit here) for having originally said his dads birthdate LOL)
Smith, Tolley, Griffiths,
Monaghan, Richards, Clark, Clarke,
Brazier, Filben, Fibben,Filbin
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon
Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, Bilston, Kent, London, Middlesex

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 August 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
oh and as to the aunt... not sure  lol... ive never found a marriage for william, william appears to have cleared off possibly even before my nan was born (1904) (they had 10 children!) but, william did have a sister that i cant trace in england after 1901... she was ellen monaghan, and only one family member knows anything about her, she said that ellen (who she called nelly, which apparently was a nickname for people called ellen) moved to northumberland with a scottish man called "Jock Woller" (dont know the actual spelling for that, and if "jock" was his name, or just because they did call people from scotland "Jock" a lot of the time?...

but apart from william and ellen... i can trace all the other siblings here in england as they stayed in wolverhampton... so I assume that the aunt nan told mom about was either Ellen, (born 1893 wolverhampton, shes the one born in the workhouse!) or, williams wife? but if it were williams wife.. id find it odd that she wouldnt have said mom had an uncle there?, unless sometime between when he left, and when mom was born in 1933, that william died and that was why she said "aunt"?
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 August 10 09:35 BST (UK) »
Not a problem.  ;)

After a quick search, I still don't see him, but perhaps he can be found.  It is late here, so I'll only spend a few more minutes and try again tomorrow night.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 August 10 09:53 BST (UK) »
Ok. This is the family I pondered over yesterday -

1901 Census Wolverhampton

12 Charles Street.

William Monaghan 38 General Labourer
Mary Monaghan 35
William Monaghan 15
James Monaghan 12
Ellen Monaghan 7 Not traced yet
Mary Jane Monaghan 5
Beatrice Monaghan 3
Francis Monaghan 3 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 August 10 09:59 BST (UK) »
awww ty Lisa and its only coming up to 10am here, thats why I couldnt answer you all sooner... this family have all been awkward lil beggars  lol, I cant even trace my nans birth in wolverhampton lolol even tho she lived and died here, her other sister, the only one I knew personally... as Beatrice... turns out that wasnt even her name LOL she was catherine bridget! but they all called her, even in censusesm "beatrice"... so nopes they havent made the search easy for her...

The sister, (moms aunt) who is the other possible one who went to america, is supposed at first to have moved and lived and had kids, in Morpeth Northumberland.. but I still cant trace her after 1901, and Ive been really lucky with finding william in 1911, if he hadnt have gone to prison, for one month, and that being the month of the census.. Id never have known hed been in prison LOL (for stealing a womans coat, he got one months hard labour LOL)

the rumour, from the eldest remeaining member of the family was that william (she called him Billy, assumingly because his father was william too... so they didnt get the 2 confused lol ) had a fight with his brother Jimmy, and then "vanished"... and they believed that he had left for america

so Ellen and William are the two who i just cant find :(
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 August 10 10:03 BST (UK) »
yes Sandra :) thats the family :) you can see the three Ive mentioned in it too, william, and ellen the 2 Im looking for, either of whom could have gone to the US and Beatrice, the one i knew personally

That family stayed within the same few streets up untill at least 1930, for my moms sis was born there too

but all the others in the lsit apart from William and Ellen... I have found

I dont know if this has any connection, but there is a Monaghan Township in Pensylvania... (sorry I can never spell that placename right LOL) even tho ive looked into that Ive still found no trace of them
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 August 10 15:54 BST (UK) »
A little of the history of Monaghan Township Pennsylvania

http://www.monaghantownship.com/history.asp

Unfortunately not finding anything for Ellen either at the moment  :(
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 August 10 01:11 BST (UK) »
just my luck :( wonder if i'll ever track the lil beggars down!!  :(
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon

Offline truebritmega

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 May 16 14:06 BST (UK) »
Little update (as I was just re looking for william, thought Id give it another bash )...

Since this thread, Ive managed to rule out the sister Ellen.. as being the aunt in america... I traced her life... and death, through Northumberland in England...

so the only option now, and the only member of the family missing.. is the brother, William
Sherdon, Churden,Sheldon