Author Topic: You know you're addicted to Genealogy when ....  (Read 120012 times)

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Are you addicted?.........
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 13:39 BST (UK) »
I love my postman!   He always knocks when a cert comes and never squashes it through our letterbox.  I even do lookups for the window cleaner   lol
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 14:01 BST (UK) »
OK Mick, I have to agree with you - ADDICTED!!!!!!! I cannot deny it any longer  ;D ;D ;D

Last Thursday I took some flowers to my sister-in-law's grave - then what did I do???? - wandered around the churchyard reading all the headstones, just in case I recognised any of the names  ;)   Did I find any?? NO  :'( :'( :'(   LOL

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 14:28 BST (UK) »
OK Mick, I have to agree with you - ADDICTED!!!!!!! I cannot deny it any longer  ;D ;D ;D

Well done Jan,

'Outing' yourself as a Genealogy addict was the best thing that you could do :) don't you feel better now?

No longer will you have to justify your detours around churchyards or the outrageous ammount of time you spend researching your ancestors!

We understand........we really do ;D

Mick ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Su

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Every time an Angel smiles a flower grows
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 06 October 04 15:24 BST (UK) »
Whilst researching my Dad's side, I found my Grt Grt Grandad's brother living in Mobberley and discovered he had re-married in 1842.  I sent for his marriage cert, and there was his Father's name on it Richard Yarwood Gamekeeper.  I was dancing round the house, saying look! Look! Richard Yarwood, something with his name actually written on it.  Hubby just gave me the usual look and patted me on the shoulder...well done dear, what are we having for dinner?
Barnett Altrincham/Manchester
Bates Hindley Lancs
Bowyer Altrincham Cheshire
Cunliffe Hindley
Hollingworth Hale Barnes/Mobberley Ches
Jones Salford/Altrincham
Ramsdale Hindley Lancs
Timperley Warburton/Dunham Massey
Yarwood Great Budworth,Lymm,Dumham Massey

All Census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 07 October 04 08:28 BST (UK) »
Mick thank you so much for understanding my addiction.  I feel so much better now  ;) ;)  LOL

Su I know exactly how you feel as that's the response (or should I say lack of response) I get from my husband.  >:( >:(   When my latest certificate arrived I was so excited, acting like a child  ;D ;D,  I showed it to my husband and he answered "What am I supposed to be looking at????>:( :'( :(    LOL LOL

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 October 04 07:25 BST (UK) »
You know you are addicted when ....

.... you only work on Genealogy on days that end in  'Y'  !

(from a Legacy Newsletter)
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Olly

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 29 October 04 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,everyone.
I'm back on line at last with a new computer - thanks to my children ;)
and I'm so excited :D :D
I've just sent for my first certificate on line thanks to you Rootschatters!!!
It won't be dispatched for a few days yet so guess who'll be watching for the postman come next Thursday/Friday.
By the way I think the Poloshirt idea is great and I would certainly invest in one.  :)

Thanks Rootschat - you keep me sane ;)
Bulmer Draper - Lincoln, Glasgow, Aylesbury
Bulmer - York
Draper,Keogh- Lincolnshire, Middlesex, Liverpool, Ireland
Lowe, Massey - Liverpool
Lowe - Australia
Jones, Owens - Anglesey, Liverpool
Collinson - Middlesex,Birmingham,Liverpool

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 29 October 04 10:24 BST (UK) »
Welcome back Olly. That was good of your children :)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The Addicted Genealogist
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 February 05 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Found this in the Ancestry Weekly Digest, 26 February 2005
http://www.ancestry.com/rd/prodredir.asp?sourceid=831&key=A969206

The Addicted Genealogist
 – George G. Morgan

:
:
In one of my presentations I told the group that “I am a rabid genealogist.” I also told the attendees that genealogy is an addiction, except there are no needle marks or other physical problems. In "Along Those Lines . . ." this week, I want to test you to see how many of the traits of an addicted genealogist you can identify as your own. Be honest with yourself!

Test Yourself
Answer these twenty-five questions with a “yes” or a “no” and then rate yourself with the results at the end of the column.

Do you feel that you know many of your ancestors better than members of your immediate, living family members?
Do most or all of your vacation trips involve genealogical research, even at the risk of traveling hundreds of miles out of the way?
Have you ever dragged your spouse and/or children through a cemetery?
On such vacation trips, have you “dumped” your spouse and/or children at a mall, given them money, and told them to amuse themselves for four or five hours while you conduct research?
Are you on a first name basis with more than five genealogical reference librarians?
Are you more proficient with searching library and archive catalogs and the Internet for genealogical information than most of your local librarians?
Have you ever bribed (or thanked) a genealogy librarian or archivist with chocolate chip cookies, cheesecake, bon-bons, or Godiva chocolates?
Have you ever sat at a microfilm reader so long that your eyes were spinning in their sockets like the fruits on a Las Vegas slot machine?
Have you ever bypassed eating lunch or dinner just because you were making such headway, either in a library/archive or on the Internet?
Does the trunk of your car contain hiking boots, galoshes, coveralls, smocks, old shirts and trousers, insect repellent, a trowel, and other tools just in case you have to make an emergency stop at a cemetery?
Do you subscribe to more than five genealogical mailing lists or regularly post to and check more than five online genealogy message boards?
Have you spent $100 or more in the last year on genealogy books, software, and/or archival supplies?
Have you spent $100 or more in the last year on photocopies and/or for copies of vital records?
Have you called in sick to work or school because you were up until the wee hours researching your genealogy in the Ancestry.com databases and on other websites?
When you make a great discovery, do you turn around and celebrate it by telling your dog(s) or cat(s) napping in your home office all about it?
Are you the person in the family that everyone comes to in order to find out more about the family history?
Are you the “accidental archivist” to whom everyone gives or bequeaths the family papers, Bibles, and other heirlooms?
Are you a member of more than three genealogical societies?
Have you attended more than three seminars or conferences in the last year?
Are you able to immediately recall the names, the locations, and the vital dates of two or more generations of a family line and to brag to another researcher exactly how far back, to the year, you have traced your most distant line?
Is at least one room in your home unusable because your genealogical research paperwork covers every surface?
Do you attend family reunions to pick your relatives' brains and to find a younger relative who might become addicted and to whom you could bequeath your research?
Does your car, truck, van, or SUV have a bumper sticker, license plate holder, or window decal relating to genealogy?
Do you call relatives primarily for the reason of learning more about the family history rather than to find out how they are doing?
Have you personally researched in the basement or attic of a courthouse or church for family records?

Moderator Comment: topics merged
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)