Author Topic: Is it Shropshire, Gloucestershire or Monmouth?  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Is it Shropshire, Gloucestershire or Monmouth?
« on: Sunday 03 April 05 22:46 BST (UK) »
 ???

I have my husbands grandmothers birth certificate, 1899, and I am confused as I don't know the area.

She was born in Clearwell, Newland. sub dist. Coleford, County. Gloucester, Reg dist Monmouth.

In 1891 the father lived in Tregare, Monmouth.
In 1901 they all lived in Weston under Penyard, Herefordshire, Monmouth reg dist.

Have the boundaries changed or is it that the 3 counties all join around here so that parts of the 2 English counties fell under the Welsh registration district of Monmouth?

Are there any good c1900 maps that would explain it or can you experts out there enlighten me?

Jane

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JClarke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Is it Shropshire, Gloucestershire or Monmouth?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 April 05 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

The only thing I can suggest is looking at:

http://www.fhsc.org.uk/genuki/REG/gls.htm

This shows the Registration Districts for Glos and includes one for Monmouth.

I have the same problem with Shropshire and some villages falling under Montgomeryshire. Who said family history was easy!!

Hope this is of some help.

John
All Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Shropshire: Clarke/Clark, Williams, Prince, Bumford, Sockett, Davis/Davies, Beaumont & Luther
Leics: Clarke/Clark, Anable, Newbold
Montgomeryshire: Williams, Sockett & Thomas
Staffs: Bumford & Davis/Davies

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 05 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane - If you haven't found out yet Clearwell is near Coleford, it is a village that came under the area of West Dean which is part of the Forest of Dean(Glos), all registrations were in Monmouth.  Tregare is between Monmouth and the village of Raglan, and probably appears in any census as part of Dingestow (Monmouth) registrations should be Monmouth, and Weston under Penyard registrations should come under Ross on Wye, the village stands right on the Hereford / Glos border, and some registrations are for births etc in Glos, places like Lea Bailey and the area below Ruardean.  Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions. Fred

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 June 05 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Fred

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk