Author Topic: PRICE, JENKINS, THOMAS in LLANFAIR AR Y BRYN  (Read 8980 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PRICE, JENKINS, THOMAS in LLANFAIR AR Y BRYN
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 22:14 BST (UK) »
It is possible.
There are 2 deaths of David Price in Llandovery area in freebmd
1883 June quarter age 66 and
1886 March quarter age 69

and a marriage of Anne Price and on the same page Evan James in 1895 (March quarter)

There is an Evan and Ann James in Llanfairarybryn in 1901. He's a shepherd age 63.

Check out the records for yourself and see what you think. :)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
David and Anne Price had a son Thomas Joseph Price (my husband's grandfather) who was born 10 Nov 1885 so that rules out the June 1883 one.  I had a look on the freebmd site and I think there is another possibility in Sept 1888.   It must I think be one of those 2 but I'm not sure if buying the 2 death certifs would prove it.

I'm quite excited about the marriage you found - that would be her 4th husband!  But it would make sense.  I don't s'pose you know when Kelly's was published in 1995?  If they published right at the beginning of the year it must be unlikely that Ann James is Ann Price because even if she remarried at the beginning of January Kelly's must have gone to press in late 1994 when she was still Ann Price. (Does that make sense?).  It's all getting a bit complicated!

I'm off 'home' up to North Wales tomorrow for a week but when I'm back I shall go on a trip to Glamorgan Archives - they have Ancestry and findmypast and I hope a good range of Kelly's Directories and if they have the 1895 one I can hopefully check when exactly it was published (if it says) - so I can try and get everything together.  Unless something comes up to disprove the Evan and Ann James marriage, do you think it would be a good idea to get that marriage certif?  I'm a bit mean when it comes to ordering certifs, as it works out so expensive, but this one might be worth it?? 

Many thanks again, Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
would be 3rd husband - she was Anne Jenkins who married Thomas Davies and then married David Price after the death of Thomas, then perhaps married Evan James. :-\

You could try writing to or calling the RO and ask them to check whether her address was PO at time of the marriage, and her previous surnames, to be sure.

http://www.carmarthenshire.gov.uk/english/living/registrars/pages/familyhistory.aspx

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 22:05 BST (UK) »
I never could count!!  Yes, only(!) 3 husbands!

I've done it - thought I'd write as I'm not going to be around to phone.  Hopefully I might get a reply almost as soon as I get back.

I hadn't realised certifs had gone up:   £9 + £1 admin, wow that's a big increase!

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks, Ninian
Roberts (Llandanwg, Llanfihangel y traethau, Ffestiniog, Merionydd);  Jones (Bethesda, Caernarfonshire; Llandyfrydog, Angelsey); Jones, Davies (Bagillt, Holywell, Flintshire);  Turner, Bardsley (Ashton, Lancashire);  Fielding (Darley Dale, Derbyshire); Brockelbank (Louth, Lincolnshire); Allen (Ridgmont, Bedfordshire)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 23:28 BST (UK) »
The admin fee is well worth it as they do verification that it is the correct certificate. I recently had one where they queried because the address was different, but it was another address I knew so was the correct one.  :)

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 August 10 00:06 BST (UK) »
Fair enough, and I'm getting the feeling this Evan James marriage is going to be right, which, thnaks to you, will be a big breakthrough.  I've been emailing my sister in law about this, she has been checking it out on Ancestry and has just emailed me the results - it all looks very promising.  Anne James seems to fit very well with Anne Price age-wise and there is apparently no sign of Anne Price in 1901 nor of any probate for her if she died before then, so the Evan/Anne marriage is looking good.  I've got my fingers crossed the response from the Carmarthen Registrar will be positive. 

Thanks, Ninian 

Offline Ninian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 October 10 16:49 BST (UK) »
Message for morganllan ..... if you are still tracking this string.

It took them ages but the Carmarthen registrars have phoned me up and were extremely helpful but have thrown the whole thing into chaos.

The certif of the marriage no3 of Anne to Evan James was fine in every respect apart from Anne's maiden name was DAVIES not JENKINS.  Now, on the birth certificate of her only child with husband David Price she was 'Anne Price, late Thomas, formerly Jenkins', which the Registrars confirmed meant that she was born Jenkins, then married a Davies before marrying David Price.  But the Anne gave her names on her marriage to Evan as Price, formerly Davies.  The registrars suggested that the info on the birth certif was probably wrong, but it seems to match rather well what we'd found: an Anne Jenkins who seemed to reappear as an Anne Davies and then as Anne Price and Anne Davies in the Post Office was a widow not a Miss Davies.  The only thing that I can't match up here is any sign of a marriage of an Anne Jenkins to a Davies.

Since speaking to the Registrars I've been looking for an Anne born Anne Davies who married a Price but I haven't got far with that line of inquiry.

So I'm now tempted to think that the birth certif is right and the marraige certif to Evan James is wrong - it is the right Anne but wrong details given.  I think Anne is  Anne Price, late Thomas, formerly Jenkins.  When David Price died, she then married Evan James, but when asked by the registrar for her previous names she just said Price and before that Davies and failed to mention that she had been born Jenkins.  So the registrar of the time recorded her as having a maiden name of Davies.

I wonder if that sounds a sensible conclusion to come to, or is it just wishful thinking on my part??

Any advice gratefully received?     

Ninian

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 October 10 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Ninian,
I have seen quite a few errors on certificates. You say "The certif of the marriage no3 of Anne to Evan James was fine in every respect apart from Anne's maiden name was DAVIES not JENKINS. " - well it would be a fairly minor mistake to miss out the fact that Anne was born Jenkins!

We found Anne James at the Post Office in 1895, but have you found her there earlier as Anne Price? Did she have an occupation on the James marriage certificate?

I'll give it some more thought! :)
Best wishes
Morgan

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
...  The only thing that I can't match up here is any sign of a marriage of an Anne Jenkins to a Davies.

There are 2 possible marriages with Anne Jenkins and Thomas Davies on the same page:

Anne Jenkins and Thomas Davies in 1859 (Mar Q)  Llandovery volume 11a page 684
Anne Jenkins and Thomas Mathew Davies in 1860 (Dec Q) Llandovery volume 11a page 874

The registry staff could check whether the other details match (Bride's age, Father's name, occupation, address, etc)

The first marriage is most likely as Anne Davies was with her 20 year old daughter Sarah in 1881. You may be able to get a birth certificate for Sarah (born Llanfairarybryn around 1860, with father Thomas and Mother Anne Davies, formerly Jenkins)