Author Topic: Re: Jane Langston  (Read 7330 times)

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Langston
« on: Tuesday 24 August 10 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Hopefully someone can help me again, I'm looking for information about Jane Langston.

Jane was convicted at the Old Bailey on 27 November 1845, sentenced to ten years for theft from her employer, and sent to Tasmania on the Sea Queen, leaving England on 10 May 1846.
I have information about Jane after she arrived in the Colony and her life thereafter until her death in November 1860.

On Jane's court documents it was stated that she was born in Sligo, Ireland, and had a brother, Frederick, I cannot find any information about her coming from Ireland, but have found a Jane Langston who was born in England, I would appreciate it if someone knows where I could find information about her life before she was convicted and sent to Tasmania.

Many thanks,
Thelly

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 11:03 BST (UK) »
If she was born in Sligo and travelled to England there won't be a record of it, as Ireland was thought to be the same country as England at the time.

You could look in 1841 census, but as ages were often rounded down and birthplace was only given as whether or not they were born in the county they were enumerated in (and that isn't always accurate!) I'm not sure how you'd be able to verify you'd found the right Jane.

Did she marry in Tasmania?  Does her marriage cert mention her father?  Have you tried looking for Frederick?
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeuel,
No,Jane's marriage certificate doesn't mention any family members, she had put down that she was a widow, the Tasmanian Archives researched it and discovered that Jane was not a widow.

I can't find Frederick anywhere, but have found a Jane Langstone born in 1823 in Droitwich, Worcester, England, parents Samuel and Ann Langstone, that was fromFamily Search records, I haven't added that to my records, as I am not sure, but would really like to know where she came from, I have been told by another descendant that Frederick went to New York, but can't find that out either.

Jane did work for a Susannah Bennett at St. Botolph without Aldgate, (where she stole the goods) I don't know the areas of England, so don't know if that is close to Droitwich, if it is, perhaps I have the right girl.
Thanks again,
Thelly

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 16:48 BST (UK) »
hi

I live near to droitwich, if you want any photos taken please let me know.  not heard of the other place tho but that does not mean it is not there.  was born and lived in another part of england.
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline thelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 10 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
That is very kind of you, I would love some photos, the actual place where Jane Langstone was christened was St Andrew, Droitwich, Worcester, England, I presume St Andrew's is a church, I don't know if St.Botolph without Aldgate was a county of England or perhaps the name of a house?

Many thanks,
Thelly

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelly

I will go over to Droitwich and see if I can get some photos and more info for you.  st andrews is quite big over there, i.e. st andrews square, st andrews hotel, st andrews carpet shop etc.   not heard of the other tho, but again i will ask around and get some info for you.  if we can find where she lived i will get some photos for you (hoping that it is still in existence).

st B (or whatever it is) is not a county or area in england but i will try and find out for you.

what part of the world are you in.  Droitwich is in north worcestershire which is middle england, south of the city of birmingham,west of stratford upon avon and not too far from the welsh and shropshire borders.

steph
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Thelly,

You are looking at two very different areas there. Droitwich is Worcestershire and St Botolph without Aldgate is London.

1841 HO107; Piece 1205; Book: 9; Folio: 8; Page: 9
has Samuel  and Ann Langstone with several children (no Jane) in Worcestershire

There is a Langston family in St Botolph Aldersgate which is a different area "St Botolph Aldersgate (AKA St Botolph without Aldersgate)  (part in city of London, not to be confused with St Botolph Without Aldgate) " http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~bpefisk/fh/Middx/Ossulstone%20Hundred%20-%20Holborn%20Division.html

1841 HO107; Piece 725; Book: 4; Folio: 28; Page: 49
Benjamin Langston 35 yrs with a wife and family (relationships are not given in 1841 but they look to be a family).
However there is no sign of a Jane Langston.

Benjamin and his wife are not born in the county and looking at 1851, Elizabeth comes from the Channel Islands and is a widow  :( so don't know about Benjamin!

I'm sure you're more confused than ever now - sorry!

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
There is a Susanah Bennett here in 1841 HO107; Piece 724; Book: 12;  Folio: 4; Page: 3
but it is St Botolph Aldersgate  ::) (such a nuisance)

she is an ironmonger and living with an older woman (perhaps mother) , a 7 yrs old (daughter) and a female servant.
(no sign of Jane)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 August 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelly

just read mess again and realise u r in Australia.  If st andrews droitwich is correct there is a web site for them, i just put in st andrews church droitwich, worcestershire.  when you find out if jane was born there i will go over and get some more info and photos for you and of course wherever she lived.

Jane may have been born there and then moved to London for work.

Steph