Author Topic: Clark, Sheaf, Waterman of Portsea  (Read 22047 times)

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clark, Sheaf, Waterman of Portsea
« on: Saturday 28 August 10 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am wondering if anybody has any information about the Clarks of Portsea, and associated families the Sheafs and Watermans. Adam Clark and his wife Louisa Elizabeth Sheaf were both born around 1819, I think they were also both born in Portsea. They married in 1842. They ended up in Sydney Australia, both dying in 1860. At least one son, Joseph, went on to N.Z. where descendants remain.

I have some very basic information about Adam's ancestry- father James, mother Elizabeth Silvester. Grandparents Henry Clark and Mary Scoval, great grandfather Richard, great great grandparents Robert Clark and Elizabeth Fathers. It sounds like they were all in the Portsea and Fawley areas from at least the 1600s. I don't really have any more details about them though, so I would appreciate any information.

Louisa's father was Aaron John Sheaf (b. approx 1801), and mother Elizabeth Waterman, also born around 1801, both from Portsea. I haven't been able to trace any more about these two.

I would be grateful for any information about these families, including anything about Adam and Louisa's life in Australia. All I know is that Adam was a fisherman who drowned, and that Louisa died shortly after him.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clark, Sheaf, Waterman of Portsea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 10 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hi lindy

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Adam was baptised 30 May 1819 in Farlington, a parish on the shores of Hayling Island.  His parents had twin sons in 1814 Jacob and Esau who appear to have married sisters Nancy and Emily Walker in 1835.  James & Elizabeth are still alive in 1841, living in Portsea aged about 60.  James was described as an Ag Lab.

1841: HO107/413/3 50 p14 Rudmore
James Clark 60 Ag Lab born in county
Elizabeth Clark 60 not b in county
Adam Clark 20 Fisherman b in county

Aaron Sheaf was a fisherman and unfortunately in gaol for debt in 1841.  He obviously extricated himself from there since in 1851 he is back home with the family, living next door to Adam and Louisa.  Adam and Louisa have 5 children by then.

1851: HO107/1657/218 p8 Rudmore

Aaron John Sheaf 50 Fisherman b Portsea
Elizabeth 50 b Portsea
Constance daughter 12 scholar b Portsea
Egbert son 10 b Portsea

Adam Clark 32 Fisherman b Portsea
Louisa Clark 31 b Portsea
Louisa daughter 8 b Portsea
Isabella 6 b Portsea
Stephen 4 b Portsea
David 2 b Portsea
Ellen 3 months b Portsea

I'll need a bit more time to see what else I can find.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that already adds to my knowledge. It is always interesting to discover a jailbird!  ::) I hope you can find more about them.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Aaron John Sheath was baptised in Portsea 9 Mar 1796, parents Thomas & Sarah.

Thomas Sheaf married Sarah Waterman 8 Jun 1794 in Alverstoke.

Hmm - wonder if those two Waterman ladies might be related.

Nell

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 29 August 10 10:35 BST (UK) »
lindynz

I have been looking in the Hampshire Telegraph for the name Aaron Sheaf, and have come up with only 4 entries. They can't all relate to the same man, but they may relate to one of them.

There is an article in 1866, where an Aaron Sheaf applies unsuccessfully to have a licence to run a pub.

PORTSMOUTH ANNUAL LICENSING SESSIONS .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle Saturday, September 8, 1866

THE BREWERY TAP
Mr. Cousins applied on behalf of Aaron Sheaf for a license for the “Brewery Tap”, in Kingston Crescent. The rent paid to the brewer was £28., and the rating was £21. Mr. Russell would tell them that the actual annual value was £50., there being a very large trade. The house was in the middle of Kingston-crescent, the nearest licensed house being the “Air Balloon”, and the “Admiral’s Head”, and the applicant’s being mid-way between the two.

The applicant stated that he had occupied the house seven years, and had never been fined. Mr. Russell said the annual value of the premises for which they were used was £50. The application was refused.

The next item relates to the death of an Aaron Sheaf in the Portsea Island Union House-the Workhouse in other words. Maybe Little Nell would know more about that. The date of death may well fit in with your Aaron.

Births, Deaths, Marriages and Obituaries .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc Saturday, August 20, 1870;

At the Portsea Island Union House, On the 13th Inst, Aaron Sheaf aged 78 years.

However, the last entry cannot fit your Aaron, but maybe a relation, but here it is anyway, as it gives some interesting local information. There was an Oyster company operating in the Isle of Wight at Cowes. In the 1870's the company sued the local council, blaming its sewerage works for the loss of its oyster beds. An Aaron Sheaf, fisherman gave an affidavit to this court.

ISLE OF WIGHT OYSTER COMPANY V. BOROUGH OF NEWPORT .
Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc ), Saturday, November 8, 1873
THIRD DAY-THURSDAY

Mr. Whitehorne read the affidavit of the Aaron Sheaf, fisherman. He said he had known the Medina Fishery for the last quarter of the century. In his opinion the chief cause of the failure of the Oyster Fishery was the importation of Irish Oysters. There were more fish in the river in 1871 than in many previous seasons, and the cockles that year were in good condition. Oysters and cockles would be affected by the same causes; but he noticed no deterioration in the quality of the cockle that year. The tide ran in and out of the Medina very swiftly, and would carry away, in his opinion any sewage matter.

Tom

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 August 10 12:17 BST (UK) »
I think there is a father and son here.  An Aaron Sheaf married on the Isle of Wight in the 1850s - his father was Aaron John.  The death in 1870 is for your Aaron John.  The fisherman may be the son.

Nell

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 August 10 15:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, Nell that would explain the matter Aaron Sheaf the son, on the Isle of Wight in the 1850's, but as I have now discovered through the same Newspaper archive, he once lived close by his family's dwelling. I have also found the death of Elizabeth Sheaf, nee Waterman and their daughter Constance, as a result of a tragic accident at the family home, at a time that their father and in Elizabeth's case husband Aaron was out of the house. It might also explain why Aaron the  son moved to the Isle of Wight.

I shall send Lindynz a PM about the matter as it is too sensitive to put out in the "open", but basically there was an explosion in the house, and Elizabeth died immediately and Constance soon after.

Their dwelling at the time resembled something out of a Dickens book, consisted a large fishing craft placed upside down. Aaron Sheaf earned his keep by fishing in the summer and shooting wildfowl in the winter. The explosion was thought to have been caused by a stray flame and gunpowder-he made his own cartridges.

The accident occurred on Saturday 3rd February 1855 around 2330 hours. Constance died the following Thursday, 8th February 1855.

Tom

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 August 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
 :o :o :o

Oh, wow!!  Some family history.

Nell

Offline lindynz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 29 August 10 21:30 BST (UK) »
Thank you everybody for your sleuthing- I am very pleased there are people who are able to find these stories. I have been wondering about the Sheafs for years! My searches over the years haven't uncovered anything much beyond a few names, dates, and places, so it is great to hear such details  :D