Author Topic: Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich  (Read 6398 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Maria Frances Langley b. Woolwich
« Reply #27 on: Monday 27 March 17 09:21 BST (UK) »
Ok Clive, I can only post what I think and you will have to decide what you think.

1) 1841 Census if you look at the image has a t at the end so name is Marchant or Marchent.
So it is a transcription error.
As whether born in County or not is often wrong in 1841 Census that is why will all hope they are around in 1851 to establish POB and DOB.
Adults ages were rounded in 1841 Census also.

2) Christine found you Mary Marias Baptism;
Mary Maria Marchant 18 May 1823 Peasmarsh , Richard Marchant , gardener, and Mary.
I found you all her Siblings.
Father Richard a Gardener

As no Children were born post 1837 we cant establish Marys maiden name conclusively.

3) Just because someone was a Gardener it doesnt mean they cant read or write
I have a Great..Grandfather who was well of later in life, started as a Gardener for a large House, then Market Gardener for himself and was fairly wealthy at the end.
2 of his Grandsons became Doctors;
1st Son;
http://peopleaustralia.anu.edu.au/biography/purdy-john-smith-8132
http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/purdy-john-smith-8132
2nd Son;
A History of the New Zealand Department of Health Derek A. Dow ... Staff must have gained fresh heart from Dr James Purdy's 1910 presidential address to the NZBMA, in which he ... the Wellington division of the NZBMA in November 1914.

Re John Longhurst in 1841 Census, he is not in the same Household as Richard/Mary and Children, there is a line that separates Households.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 March 17 09:51 BST (UK) »
Will of Richard;
Name: Richard Marchant
Probate Date:3 Apr 1854
Residence:   Anchor

So must have died 1853ish;
Gro Index has 2;
J Qtr 1853 Sevenoaks age 68
M Qtr 1854 age 66

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline wibsey1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 03:56 BST (UK) »
Trish

I have 1841 census from FindMyPast, household living in Charlton Village, Lewisham,, Kent.
The family is:
Richard Marchant age 50 born 1791 in Kent
Mary Marchant     age 35 born 1806 in Kent
Maria Marchant    age 15 born 1826 in Kent
William Marchant age 13 born 1828 in Kent
Thomas Marchant age 10 born 1831 in Kent
Arthur Marchant  age   5 born 1836 in Kent
John Longhurst    age 50 born 1791 in Kent

In the 1841 census, none of the household member's occupation was collected  so there was nothing there to say what his occupation was at that time. hence my query of him being described as a gardener.

I have 1851 census from Family Search
household living in Charlton Village, Lewisham,, Kent.
The family is:
Richard Marchant age 68 shown as born in Brighton in Sussex(it says Brightling but there is not now nor ever was such a place)  in 1783 with the occupation of Victualer Master Licenced Victualler employing one.
Mary Marchant     age 48 shown as born in Northiam, Sussex in 1803
Arthur Marchant  age 14 shown as born in Charlton, Kent in 1837

Richard's will which describes him as being of the Anchor & Hope Inn in Carlton, and mentions the following children:
Mary Maria Langley, wife of Edward Langley, William Marchant, Thomas Marchant and Arthur James Marchant. - Probate was granted 17/2/1854 in Charlton, Lewisham. Kent

These are obviously the same family despite the inconsistencies and the fact that the 1841 doesn't give Richard's occupation. but that wouldn't help because he wasn't the landlord of the Anchor & Hope in Lewisham until about 1847.

I have found records which show that Mary was the landlord of the Hope and Anchor Inn from 1855 -1858, so she obviously took over after Richard's death.

I have been looking for a marriage for Richard and Mary, and the most likely one I have found is to Mary Harrison at St Bede, Fleet Street, London on 1/1/1818

Clive

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 06:55 BST (UK) »
Image on ancestry.
Richard Marchant, widower, married Mary Harrison, widow by banns 4 January 1813 St Bride's Fleet Street. Witness John Wrightman and James Smith

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 07:25 BST (UK) »
Coincidence?
William Marchant, gardener, married Ann Allen at St Alphege, Greenwich 13 June 1847
his father  Richard Marchant licensed Victualler, her father Thomas Allen, gamekeeper.
William and Ann both signed.

Added in 1871 he is a licensed victualler in Deptford "Compasses"

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 07:57 BST (UK) »
Trish

I have 1841 census from FindMyPast, household living in Charlton Village, Lewisham,, Kent.
The family is:
Richard Marchant age 50 born 1791 in Kent
Mary Marchant     age 35 born 1806 in Kent
Maria Marchant    age 15 born 1826 in Kent
William Marchant age 13 born 1828 in Kent
Thomas Marchant age 10 born 1831 in Kent
Arthur Marchant  age   5 born 1836 in Kent
John Longhurst    age 50 born 1791 in Kent

In the 1841 census, none of the household member's occupation was collected  so there was nothing there to say what his occupation was at that time. hence my query of him being described as a gardener.

But this is the same record that Trish found transcribed as Marchass on Ancestry. It does specify Richard's occupation as gardener - you need to look at the image to see it.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Christine53.

Yes, Clive, same Census but but Anc is where I got it, Occp definitely Gardner.
John Longhurst is in a separate Household.

1851 John Longhurst is born c 1789 - Shambledon, Surrey, England
RESIDENCE: Charlton, Kent
So 1841 has him born in County but he wasnt.

Trish :)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 March 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
I doubt the 1813 Marriage is correct as Mary is born c 1803 in 1851 Census
She wouldnt have been born 1801-1803 and Widowed by 1813!

Offline wibsey1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 03:04 BST (UK) »
Trish, Family Search shows John Longhurst at same address as Richard Marchant in 1841 census (same piece number so in same return), in fact identical information to what I found in FindMyPast.

I have looked in Ancestry, as I don't have any credits with them, I cannot access an image of the actual census.

Family Search has the marriage of Richard & Mary as 4/1/1818 not 1813. In fact this is the only marriage involving Richard Marchant and Mary I have been able to locate