Author Topic: Johannes Dietlein - Germany?  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Greb0603

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johannes Dietlein - Germany?
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hello I have an ancestor named Johannes Dietlein b 1767 d March 1847 in Parish of St James, Dover. He must of came to England around 1800 and his name was later anglisized to Datlen.

First off is his surname likely to be German, Dutch or Austrian?
Secondly his first name is Hebrew in origin. Is it likely he was a Jew?

Lastly he came up in census returns as Adam Datlen with an "f" for foreign subject. How would I find his place of birth? Would I need to find a passenger list, if so from where?

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Re: Johannes Dietlein - Germany?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 20:24 BST (UK) »
Have searched for others of the same surname (exact) and one comes up a Frederick Dietlein coming on a passenger ship from Rotterdam with place of origin shown as Germany. Not sure this is enough but the name in its true form seems fairly scarce. I have searched the online records i have and he doesn't come up sorry

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline SwissGill

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

There is a Datlen website that comes up on a Google search - maybe yours, plus one message Ancestry claims Johannes Dietlen died 1847 Dover was from Germany?

I would not say the name Johannes is just Hebrew in origin - I know of and have seen a number of Johannes in my German research, often Lutherans. Mostly altered to John in England as was one of my relatives and he was not Jewish.
Whitlow: Witton-cum-Twambrooks/Northwich
Bowers: Marthall, Siddington, Cheshire
Owen: Cheshire
Pfisterer (Fisher): West Riding Yks 1850-1875
Fisher (Pfisterer): Des Moines, Iowa 1886-
Wallis: West Riding Yks/Des Moines, Iowa, 1892-
Heinzmann: Hull/Northwich
Pfisterer, Heinzmann, Künzelsau, Baden-Württemberg
Brueck: Kocherstetten B-W
Volpp: Morsbach B-W
Schluchterer: Künzelsau, B-W

Offline Greb0603

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, this website is my family. I am just trying to see if I can get a step further from what they have got so far.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html
Children born between Adam/Johannes and wife Phoebe are listed with surnames:
Dartland (the first birth, with him as "Johannes"), Dietland, Dictland, Dedland, Dadling

You would have to look at records in Chatham where he first appears - for example, originals of the baptisms to see if there's any mention of address or occupation. The local archives might be able to suggest other sources.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk