Author Topic: bottle bank gateshead slum clearance 1930s  (Read 7811 times)

Offline saltandpepper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
bottle bank gateshead slum clearance 1930s
« on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, i am very much hoping someone out there can help me please.............

I have some ancestors who lived at a place called Hawk Yard, which was just off Bottle Bank on the gateshead side of the quayside from about 1927, until the clearances/demolitions in 1933ish.

I am aware there are millions of bits of info about these areas, but no matter how hard i look, i cant seem to find a reference anywhere about Hawk Yard in particular. Its almost as if it didn't exist.  I have found a reference to it within the 1881 census, which mentions some sort of lodgings there, but from Birth certs i have, my people lived at number 2, which i am assuming was a private house rather than a large lodging house of some sort.

I have seen a grainy map of the area on a durham map web site, but it doesn't seem to show where Hawk Yard was.  I am desperate to find exactly where it was.  There must be old maps somewhere with it on......or even better would be a photograph, but i think that is probably asking too much.

So if any of you clever clogs out there think you can help me, please try.  I will look forward to thanking you!!!

cheers everyone, John.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: bottle bank gateshead slum clearance 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 10 14:25 BST (UK) »
Hawk Entry or Hawks' Entry, was at 28 Bottle Bank.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
If you go to http://gis.durham.gov.uk/website/interMAP/viewer.htm and enter the coords 425355, 563600 in to search, I think that is where Hawk Entry could be (on the 1919-1926 map) as this area is clear on the next map 1938-50.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 10 15:14 BST (UK) »
In the 1911 Census address search there are numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, and 12 Hawk Yard. Hawk Entry is an earlier name circa 1850.
Just to add that Gateshead in in County Durham, not Northumberland  :)
Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
If you go to http://www.asaplive.com/tram/tramroute/interactive/index.html and click on Stop 8 you can see a photo of Bottle Bank which I think is going to be the nearest you will get. There is also and old map of the area but unfortunately it does not cover the whole of Bottle Bank.

Stan

Offline Hawk-Inn-keeper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
The Hawk Inn, Bottle Bank is mentioned in the 1861 census. My Granddads mother - her maiden name was Jane Ann Addy was age 13 and her father Thomas Addy age 34 was the Inn keeper.  It would be great to find a picture of the Hawk Inn.  Let me know if its to be found anywhere.  I think Hawk name is connected to the steel and wire works my Grandad was apprenticed to the wireworks at age 16 by his mother and I have that document. The following is from Wikipedia... William Hawks, originally a blacksmith, started business in Gateshead in 1747, working with the iron brought to the Tyne as ballast by the Tyne colliers. Hawks and Co. eventually became one of the biggest iron businesses in the North, producing anchors, chains and so on to meet a growing demand. There was keen contemporary rivalry between 'Hawks' Blacks' and 'Crowley's Crew'. The famous 'Hawks' men' including Ned White, went on to be celebrated in Geordie song and story.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 17:45 GMT (UK) »
If you go to http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=425370,563600 the 1:500 town plan shows The Hawk P.H. and also Hawk's Yard

Stan

Offline Hawk-Inn-keeper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 22:19 GMT (UK) »
There must be photographs of the road approaches to the new Tyne Bridge  they had to do surveys for the Tyne Bridge just to decide where it would go.  The church is still there on the East side  and  old streets on the West side there was a Joke and magic shop  that was there in the 1940s.  My relatives include the Jennings family and they owned the scrapyard that was on Bottle Bank it was there until about 20 years ago. 

Offline Hawk-Inn-keeper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 08 February 12 22:32 GMT (UK) »
PS:  The map showing the location of the Hawk Inn is interesting.  Someone must have some really detailed drawings and maps of that area.  Perhaps the National Archives in Kew

The 1861 census actually states :-   

Hawk Inn, Bottle Bank, Gateshead,
Thomas Addy Age 34 Innkeeper (Head) Born (1827) Sunderland.
Ann Addy Age 33 (Wife) Born 1828 Gateshead. Nee Atkinson.
Jane Ann Addy Age 13 (Daughter) Born 1848 Newcastle.

There was a glass and bottle making activity in that area and making of clay pipes was another activity I have a relative Elizabeth Quinton who made clay pipes.  I took me a while to realize these were for smoking tobacco.