Author Topic: Donald Ferguson m Christian Mcglashan  (Read 16587 times)

Offline 11tilly11

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald Ferguson m Christian Mcglashan
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 09:42 BST (UK) »
My great x 5 grandparents are Donald Ferguson and Christian McGlashan.They were married 17th Aug 1775 in Stralachlan Argyll .Was looking for help with the name of Donalds mother.It only has his father John Ferguson listed on baptism record.Donald Ferguson b-3rd Feb 1753 Stralachlan.
John was born Campbeltown,but Im not sure if he married Campeltown or Stralachlan
Ferguson-Strachur/Stralachlan/Campbeltown before 1850
Ferguson-Old Monklands/West Calder 1840+
McNicol-Strachur/Stralachaln before 1800
McGlashan-Strachur/Stralachlan before 1790
Pringle-Lanark 1800+

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Donald Ferguson m Christian Mcglashan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 September 10 01:35 BST (UK) »
Hi 11tilly11,
Next time I am on either SP or Ancestry will try to find a record of marriage and let you know.

Unless someone else can find anything on the IGI or FMB or LDS
A lot of my family research is around Campbelltown in Argyll so you never know.  Also my Grgran had Ferguson as one of her family names as yet have not found where this came from down the line nor Barron.

marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 October 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi 11tilly11,

Sorry its taken so long to reply.
Looked for Donald on Scotlands people.  His birth no-one born that year in Stralachan in Argyll.  but on LDS there was a note of a birth, but as you found no mention of a mother's name although it stated that John was married.
There were several births noted in Strachar some with mothers names and one or two without mothers name.  Wonder if she died in childbirth.
Have you tried searching for a death in that year in that district and county.?
marcie.  will check
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 October 10 00:39 BST (UK) »
Forgot to tell you that  the Source Batch no. is C115345
Dates 1745-1820
SCN 1041077 and PCN is 6900463

Could not find info on LDS regarding his mother, will check for a death on Scotlandspeople

marcie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline 11tilly11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 October 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hello
Thank you for all your help.Yes I have tried all sorts of ways to find out and have ran out of ideas and records to search.I do have donald and Johns Baptism records, plus donalds marriage record.I also have all of Johns siblings and parents records. But no death records for Donald or John
Ive even been reading old Scottish history books just in case by some small miricle something could lead me to it.
Any ideas?
Pringle-Lanark 1800+

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 October 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
If no-one with more experience on RC can help at all, which is very rare.

You could try the Family History Society for the area where he was born and lived most of his life.

I have the same problem with my Smiths and Browns.  In my case there are too many of them to ensure you have the right ones, unless you know both parents names.  SP do not help with things like this, they only help with problems reading them.

marjorie
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline ron212

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 May 11 08:40 BST (UK) »
hello,

i see you are a ferguson decendant, i think we are close my greatx1 was alexander ferguson, greatx2 alexander ferguson, greatx3 charles stewart ferguson, greatx4 dougal or dougald ferguson, greatx5 donald ferguson and 6th john ferguson that's as far as i can go so far.

please reply i would like to know where you fit in and how far back you can go.

Offline 11tilly11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 May 11 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

Oh my.Well if you are who you say,well I have spent the past 2 years trying to find a living relative of Alex's,and have spent a small forturne in random phone calls from different leads.
I am a great grand daughter of David Pringle Ferguson,who is the brother of your great x 1 grand father Alexander. The other two siblings Euphemia,and Charles Stewart Ferguson's families I have tracked down,and are in regular contact with many of them.
So your Alexander was married to Betsy Nicholas there children were - Euphemia Pringle Campbell nee ferguson, Alexander McKillop Ferguson,Gordon Josiah Ferguson,Sylvia Ferguson, and Annie Bedwell nee Ferguson.
Would you believe,we are having a family reunion this Sept and we thought we would have to go ahead with out any relative from your branch.
Please Please contact me- my email address is - (*)

We also have our own family website,so please contact me.
Looking forward to hearing from you,

Leanne Ferguson

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Pringle-Lanark 1800+

Offline littlebranches

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 12 June 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've just come across these posts in my search for details of a Christian McGlasshan who I believe married Duncan Blair 26 Feb 1767.  She is shown as mother of Peter Blair on his marriage record to Catherine McLean on 23 Dec 1800 in Dunoon and Kilmun.  I wondered if there was any connection to your Christian?  I can only find one other child, Catherine, b. 1799 in 'Stralachlan'.  I'd be interested to know if you you have any information on them.
Thanks.
Lynne
Blair in Renfrewshire and Lanarkshire
Coombes in Devon
Lloyd in Pembrokeshire
Bishop in Devon
Boon in Devon
Eastlake in Tiverton and Plymouth, Devon