Author Topic: Cattell  (Read 3129 times)

Offline HistoryHound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cattell
« on: Wednesday 15 September 10 22:52 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information relating to the Cattell family.  My grandfather was Henry John Cattell (1902-1993) from Birmingham.  He married Lily Bird in 1910.

Any details are gratefully received...

Thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cattell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

My grandfather was Henry John Cattell (1902-1993) from Birmingham.  He married Lily Bird in 1910.

I think you mean he married in 1934

Have you looked for him on the 1911 census to get his parents names, ages and birthplaces?

There is no 1902 birth for a Henry John Cattell on freebmd but there is one in the December qtr 1902 for a Henry in Birmingham.  His death reg shows he was b 24.9.1902

These instructions may help you but there are several households with a Henry Cattell

USING THE FREE 1911 INDEX TO DETERMINE THE CORRECT HOUSEHOLD

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

Once you find a possible match - make a note of the county and district in which the person was living

Return to the index and in PERSONAL DETAILS - just put the surname of the family - nothing else

In LOCATION - Select the county and below it - type in the district

In OTHER MEMBERS OF THE HOUSEHOLD - show the full name of the person you have found on the index

Click SEARCH

You will have to buy credits to view the full entry - the above instructions will only help to possibly show others of the same name in the same household

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for information relating to the Cattell family.  My grandfather was Henry John Cattell (1902-1993) from Birmingham.  He married Lily Bird in 1910.

Any details are gratefully received...

Thanks
Are you still looking for information on John Cattell. He was my great uncle, brother to my grandmother, Louisa Cattel.
Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline HistoryHound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Greenvale,

Yes...definately!  My Grandad was Henry John Cattell.  I have absolutely no idea of his siblings aside from the fact that he was a twin.  Please tell me more... :-)

Bev

Offline Greenvale

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi! The Henry John Cattell I have was bn. 24/08/1902 and died in Aug. 1993. He was married to a Lilly Bird on 2nd April 1934
His parents were Thomas Cattell(1854 - 1927) and Louisa Gumbley (1863-1941) their children were
Louisa Cattell (1882-1966 My Maternal Grandmother)
Jane Cattell (1886-1971)
Thomas Cattell (1889 -1956)
John Henry Cattell (1891-1951)
Elizabeth L Cattell (1893-?)
Emily Cattell (1897-?)
Edwin Cattell (1899-1968)
Henry John Cattell (1902-1993)
Florence Cattell (1904-1995)

I've no information to say that Henry John was a twin. If you have traced a twin then I would be grateful for any info.  I've managed to go back as far as 1686 following the Cattell/Gumbley lines
Hope this helps and if you have any questions that I can help you with then I'll certainly try.

Madden, Cunningham, Webb, Upton, Kinsey, Askew

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 19:47 BST (UK) »
Henry John was, as was mentioned early on, registered as plain Henry in Dec.qtr.1902 ref. 6d 104.   In the same quarter and with the same reference (which is an indication of twins) is a William.   Said Williams's death is recorded in the Mar.qtr.1903.  Birmingham baptisms confirm them as twins, born 24/8/1902 and baptised 8/10/1902.

Thomas and Louisa also appear to have had another set of twins in 1901 - Alfred and Ellen.   They were born 1/8/1901 and baptised 11/8/1901.   Their deaths are recorded in Sept.qtr.1901.   Their poor mother!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Offline HistoryHound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you sooooo much!!!!!  Does that make us cousins then "Greenvale"...I think it does!  I am so pleased!  I am not in touch with anyone on Grandad's side and knew nothing about his family life.  My late father knew little about them either and I have always wanted to find out if I have any relatives from that line...know I know I have!!!! :-)

Thank you Annette...that confirms what I had been told :-)  Appreciate the help!

Offline HistoryHound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 20:12 BST (UK) »

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
Greenvale - I think 'your' Louisa was born in 1884, not 1882.   Her parents married 2/12/1883 and her baptism was 24/3/1884 - another record gives her birthdate as 9th March 1884 and 1884 concurs with her death in 1966.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.