Author Topic: THOMAS CLAYSON 1782 Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom  (Read 10640 times)

Offline patmo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS CLAYSON 1782 Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 October 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sandy, that's useful.

PatMo :)
Clayson/Clason/Hollowell Northants and London
O'Connell/Davis Cork
Nunan Blarney/Cork
Wall Berkshire
Vaus Yorkshire/Scotland?

Offline neverendingstory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 10 November 12 11:23 GMT (UK) »
It was Colin R Chapman who wrote "Tracing Ancestors in Bedfordshire" 1995. In the forward he is described as being president of Gloucs FHS, president of Bristol & Avon FHS, honorary member of Beds FHS, and a Fellow of the Society of Genealogists. In other words he's definitely of some considerable standing in the world of genealogy.

Although I assume he means all 19th century Claysons, as Uriah who lived in Harrold predates Zaccheus

David
Hi,
I have found this discussion very late but hope its OK to add my bit.
There is a Uriah Clearson, bricklayer, who worked on the Canals of the River Ivel in 1757.
I noted that the forum said a Uriah Clason/Clayson married Ruth Fairy  of Carlton, Beds in 1735.
A John Clareson/Clearson/Clerson/Clayson is listed as voting in Carl[e]ton from 1722 - 1734 in the "How Bedfordshire Voted, 1685-1735, The Evidence of Local Poll Books  Volume 2 1716-1735" by James Collett-White. 
A Cleason/Clearson family [my family] lived in Shefford and Campton from the middish 1600's until 1799.
All this says to me that whatever the original pronunciation and spelling of the proto-name, in the Bedsfordshire context, at least, the name settled into two versions - the Claysons [reasonably numerous] and the Clearsons [less so].  It would be interesting to see how this theory fits with the Colin R Chapman MS mentioned. Do you know David, whether the book has info on the very early progression of the name in its' varieties?
Kay Clearson
Clearson, Wild, Godward, Hall, Leggatt, Hargreaves, Armistead, Garforth, Willis, Lovegrove, Wishart, Walker, Rogers, Marshall

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 10 November 12 14:49 GMT (UK) »
The book is a general guide to research in Beds. It doesn't cover individual families. John referred to a letter written by the author of the book, which I haven't seen

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 12 November 12 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kay,  I have just looked up the letter regarding the Clayson name from the Bedfordshire Magazine Vol 17 No 130 of Autumn 1979. The writer mentions a variety of spellings - Clayson, Clason, Clasone, Classon, Classen for the families of Beds & Northants; plus from possible Hugunot roots the corruption of the Europen Clauson, Clausen, Claussen names. He mentions the only other pocket of Clayson names are found in Kent. There is not a mention of Clareson/Clearson/Clerson names as per your reply to this topic.

Regards
John     
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline neverendingstory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 12 November 12 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David for your reply and John for the look up of the letter.
Uriah [the bricklayer/mason] is referred to in different docs as Clearson or Clayson and I have seen the interchangeable spelling of Clearson/Clayson/Clason etc. for other individuals in my family. It's interesting that Chapman hasn't referred to the Cleason/Clearson variation.  The Fair[e]ys [Uriah's wife] are mentioned in docs with the same contexts to individuals in my family  so there is potentially some sort of link, but admittedly have never found it definitively and despite the interchangeability and close geographical positioning may just be coincidence of two similar names.
Regards,
Kay
Clearson, Wild, Godward, Hall, Leggatt, Hargreaves, Armistead, Garforth, Willis, Lovegrove, Wishart, Walker, Rogers, Marshall

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 12 November 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
It is interesting to note that in the Probate records for Bedfordshire, held at Beds Archives, there hold the wills of Uriah, senior, mason 1766/34, Ruth, widow 1791/4 & William, farmer 1803/42 all of Harrold - where the index says - see also Clearson ? and hold wills of Samuel Clearson, senior of Shefford, victualler, 1724/66 & Samuel of Shefford, malster 1740/56. It might be good see if there is a link.
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline neverendingstory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 13 November 12 00:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John
I had seen the Will reference to Sam junior but not senior. I will get onto it.
Kay

Offline neverendingstory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 23 November 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update to the Clearson Wills John (in case it is of interest to other researchers). Sam snr does not mention any Harrold or Uriah connection. Both Sams live in Shefford. 
1724 - Sam snr refers to his surviving children - William, Elizabeth Merrill and Sam the younger
and his grandchildren - Mary Clearson [dau of Wm.]
                                   Elizabeth and Mary Merrill [dau. of Elizabeth - who was m. to Michael Merrill]
                                   James [son of Sam jnr]
1740 - Sam jnr's Will mentions his dau.'s  Mary Clearson Hine/Hind/e, Sarah Lawrence, his son James and nephew Sam Clearson.
italics my info
Kay