Author Topic: Deas Family History  (Read 7259 times)

Offline cadeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deas Family History
« on: Wednesday 06 October 10 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm currently trying to trace my ancestors the Deas/Dease/Deis, family in Scotland.  I think most of them came from the Dysart,Fife, region.

My Australian line came out here in about 1875/6.

Can anyone help with information on the region, what life would have been like and what some of their jobs would have been.

Cheers, Christine

Offline geraldinev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Deas Family History
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 10 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine, O have a Mary Deas born 1808 and she married James Colville.  She came from Burnisland.
They lived in 1851 in Fife.
Geraldine

Offline cadeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 10 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Geraldine,
I currently don't have a Mary Deas, listed. However, I will do some more searching and see what I come with.
Where do you have then listed as living for most of their lives? Are they still in the Fife region?

Once again many thanks for getting back to me.

Regards, Christine.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 December 10 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi i remember helping people out with the Deas family before. go to search at the top of page and puit in Deas /Fife and the threads /posts will come up.

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline NorrieG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 10 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cadeas
I have this inscription from a headstone in Dysart Cemetery

107   Mary DEAS died 29.1.1873 age 5
   Maggie DEAS died 20.7.1884 age 23
   James DEAS died 26.3.1887 age 51
   Agnes DEAS wife of John ARTHUR died 23.8.1890 age 25
   Johan DEAS died 14.12.1888 age 88 husband of Isabella WANN

any of your ancestors ?
NorrieG
Gordon,Gillies, Taylor,Kinnear, Wemyss Parish

Offline Govo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 February 11 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine. My GGrandfather George Deas (b 1830) also came to Australia from Dysart. My grandfather James Freeman Deas claimed another James Reid Deas who lived in North Perth from late 1890's to 1940's was his cousin. I have not been able to verify this claim, but if true it would mean that James Reid Deas was the son of one of George's brothers. I have not been able to trace any of George's bothers : John b 1812, David b. 1814 and William b. 1823 (all born in Dysart) to Australia. Do any of these link to your Deas family in Australia?

Cheers Rod
Deas (Dysart Fife, Victoria Aust.), Roberts (Cornwall UK, Aust.), Davis (Corscombe, Dorset)

Offline sue asher

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 March 18 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my maiden name was Deas and my family all originated from Fife area. I haven't been on ancestry.co.uk for a couple of years but I will send you information when I do. I'm living in Perthshire and will be happy to help in any way
Kind regards - Sue

Offline Govo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 March 18 03:22 BST (UK) »
 Thanks for your interest Sue. However since posting this message I have largely solved the mystery. David Deas also emigrated to Australia sometime after he was widowed from his first wife Jean Burnet (1818 - 1856). He later married Helen Scott in Victoria Aust. in 1859 and produced a further four children Margaret 1860, William 1861, George Hunter 1864 and James Reid 1865. David's eldest Son from his first marriage John (1843 - 1891) also came to Australia and married an Elizabeth Scott in 1873 having ten children. The youngest being Jane Burnet Deas (b 1891) born after John tragically drowned in the Yarra river. Both David and John were mariners which probably means they just jumped ship when arriving in Australia. My GGrandfather George probably came to Australia the same way about the same time as David as I have not been able to find any record of his arrival. Of George's other brother John the eldest stayed in Dysart and may have taken over the family business as a baker but I have not confirmed this. William seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. The last record I had was in 1841 when he was training as a ship's carpenter so I guess he also sailed away to some distant shore.
Deas (Dysart Fife, Victoria Aust.), Roberts (Cornwall UK, Aust.), Davis (Corscombe, Dorset)