Author Topic: Blyth History.  (Read 181039 times)

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Blyth History.
« Reply #234 on: Monday 04 January 16 16:54 GMT (UK) »
What is it about Blyth?  ::) A little mining/shipbuilding town on the NE coast which makes the older residents so nostalgic?
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Monday 04 January 16 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I think it is unique combination of things. The old mining communities worked hard together and played hard together. Everybody knew everybody else. There wasn't a lot of money around and folk shared and helped each other. When I think back to growing up in the village of Cowpen, it was a wonderful time, and our small community was fairly tight knit for the times. Mum's were home makers, dad's often worked together down the pit or in associated work. Neighbours popped in and out on a regular basis. All the kids in the street played together, generally nicely. A lifestyle that seems to have died out within the last 40 years or so. Perhaps the older ones can add to my nostalgic reminiscences. Northumbrians are also a very warm and generous natured folk, though I'd advise you never cross one! I don't think it is unique to Blyth, I think if you were to ask the folk of other mining towns in Yorkshire or Wales, they'd probably say very similar things. A shame that the community bonds are lost now, and little seems to draw people together. So many things seem divisive, splitting families up in the hunt for gainful employment and the like. Often out of necessity rather than choice. Many families seem to be parted by many miles and sometimes vast distances across the globe. Sad really.....

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 12:40 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered and visited blythtown.net and learned that the Police station is/has been closed, and the building will be put up for sale.  Presumably it is a listed building and cannot be demolished.  It would be a shame to lose such an imposing structure.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
I think it is now completely empty as the community police have moved to Arms Evertyne House.

They have been running guided tours around the old station - it's an interesting couple of hours - and I think they are prepared to continue doing so until the building is sold.

Christine

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 28 January 16 01:12 GMT (UK) »
I hope the Blyth History Society get to have an in depth tour of the place, and take copious amounts of photographs for posterity!

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Gordon went - I think he's been twice - and he never goes anywhere without at least one camera  ;D

For anyone still living in the town - it's definitely worth going

Christine

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Wow, my first ever memory is of being pushed past Blyth Police station in my Silvercross Pram as a baby, it's such a distinctive building that the memory is so vivid.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Sunday 07 February 16 21:37 GMT (UK) »
What is it about Blyth?  ::) A little mining/shipbuilding town on the NE coast which makes the older residents so nostalgic?
OUR GREAT SENSE OF HUMOUR, AND BECAUSE WE CAN LAUGH AT OURSELVES.
Have Radio 2 on, and they have just played "There's a lighthouse stands across the bay," by Conrad Veidt.
And please do forgive me in anticipation of any criticism I may get, - but remember the old outside netties, which lasted until the 1960s ??  I once recall some wag, up in Blyth, of course, adapting the words to : " There's a sh*tehouse stands across the way."  I bet Scott Dobson never thought of that line. !!!! ;D

Offline Lollipoplol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Sunday 17 April 16 02:00 BST (UK) »
hi. I was just wondering if anyone can remember the crash at The Willow Tree, that took the toilet wall out? if anyone has any information or can find an article about it I would really appreciate it as I can't seem to find anything myself