Author Topic: Tryphena ?  (Read 8681 times)

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
Re: Tryphena ?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 October 10 18:24 BST (UK) »
The oldest Tryphena I found was a Tryphena Dunstan died 1823 aged 85 so she was named Tryphena in 1738!
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline janee06

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 21 October 17 09:52 BST (UK) »
I have Tryphena Woodims born in Taunton Somerset 1657 and in the next generation Tryphena Gray. Prior to Tryphena Woodims I have on the same maternal line Tryphena Daniel but spelt more like Thafena or Thafarah (terrible handwriting but I suspect it was the same name).

Romantically, I would like to think that my Tryphenas eventually descended down to Tryphena Sparks who was Hardy's great love, his cousin, and the base for his character Bathsheba in Far From The Madding Crowd as he was living fairly nearby but that is probably pure fancy! Was the origin of the name in my family Thafarah or something akin to that - or was it originally Tryphena. I suspect the latter as it probably sounded strange to the ear but that would be the case either way! If anyone else has this name in the family or something similar I would love to hear from you.

Other unusual names in my family are Rhadigundra (name of a Saint) and Goliah.

I find such names fascinating. Where did they originate from and why? This does mean the name was used quite early and probably in the 1500s.

The mystery deepens.

Offline carom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 November 17 18:20 GMT (UK) »
My 3x gt. grandmother was Tryphena Venn, born 1811 in Devon. I hadn't come across the name before and was surprised how popular it seemed to be in Devon around that time.
The downside is the number of variants that appear in the census, Trefina, Tufnia etc.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 June 18 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello,
My 6x great grandma was Tryphena Dyer. On the 18th of March 1786, she had a daughter called Ann Dyer, in Ottery St Mary, and the father was Charles Windover.
According to "South West Heritage Trust Online Catalogue", my Tryphena was a single woman:
http://devon-cat.swheritage.org.uk/records/3327A/PO/93/22

I tried to find a baptism for my Tryphena in the Ottery St Mary region of Devon but was unsuccessful. There was however a Tryphena Dyer who married a Felix Handel in 1789 in Ottery St. Mary.

Tryphena's daughter, Ann Dyer married John Ebdon in Ottery St Mary in 1809. They had a daughter called Tryphena, baptised in Sidbury around 1816.

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline mirage79dancerhistory

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 12 December 23 09:50 GMT (UK) »