Author Topic: STORRIE  (Read 30029 times)

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: STORRIE
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I have Mary Storie b 24.3.1782, daughter of William Storie and Elizabeth Stewart. Mary married Thomas Cameron in Lochwinnoch. I think that two of Mary's brothers went to McNab Township.

Cammy
Hi Cammy
My great-great-great grandmother was a Mary Storie who married Thomas Cameron in Lochwinnoch in 1808. However, I have her parents listed as John Storie and Ann Munn. Seems a tremendous coincidence?

Certainly does.  I don't have my info at the moment but will have a look at it later to see if there are any clues.

Cammy

Offline Cammy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 19:16 BST (UK) »
fionamarg,

I've not been able to get into my files yet but a quick look at my computer files shows that Thomas & Mary married in 1808 in Lochwinnoch.  Their first child was born in 1809.  My ancestor is Robert Cameron born in 1815.  Are you looking at the same offspring?

1. JAMES CAMERON  - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 26 AUG 1821 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
   2. JAMES CAMERON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 23 JAN 1825 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
   3. WILLIAM CAMERON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 25 APR 1813 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
   4. JOHN CAMERON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 07 APR 1811 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
   5. ROBERT CAMERON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Male Christening: 21 MAY 1815 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
   6. AGNES CAMERON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 09 MAR 1817 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland
   7. ELIZABETH CAMERON - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 24 DEC 1809 Lochwinnoch, Renfrew, Scotland

Cammy

Offline fionamarg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cammy
Frustratingly, I'm not sure how the dates match up. The line I'm following goes from Thomas & Mary's son, also Thomas, born 1808. I suppose that it's possible that they married in 1808 & had a child in 1808?
Then my line goes through Thomas junior's son James (born 1834), to my grandfather Robert. I'm sure that this is definitely the same family, because of the re-use of standard names generation by generation. My father was another James, and his brother was Thomas.

Best regards
Fiona

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 September 10 23:07 BST (UK) »
I have Stor(r)i/e(y)s from Shotts too. They crop up with all sorts of spellings, but for simplicity I'll use Storry just now. Most of  this information comes from the Registers of Sasines.

Andrew Storry of Wester Braco and Paperthills was born around 1670-ish. I don't have his father's name but his mother must have been a Naismith because he had an uncle named Claud Naismith.

Andrew married Mary Clark and had eight known children, the youngest (I think) born in 1727: John, Claud, Elizabeth, Mary, unknown, Andrew of Paperthills, William of Badallan and Peter of Badallan. The eldest son was John Storry of Wester Braco. He married first, in 1736, Anna Cleland by whom he had a son, Andrew Storry of Wester Braco. By his second wife Elizabeth Howie, whom he married in 1748,  he had five known children: unknown, John, Margaret, Joseph, and Mary, the youngest born in 1768.

Margaret married John Wilkie and they eventually became my great-great-great-grandparents. Mary married George Duncan, baker in Glasgow. John died unmarried and as far as I know so did Joseph, who was a baker in Airdrie.

In 1796 Joseph, Margaret and Mary inherited property in Airdrie from their father John Wilkie.

Joseph was served heir to his brother John in 1797, and the document says that John was the second and Joseph the third son of John Storry of Braco and Elizabeth Howie. I have no idea who the eldest son was or what became of him. Nor do I understand why John did not share the property in Airdrie inherited by his brother and sisters.

If any of this sounds familiar, please get in touch.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 September 10 12:38 BST (UK) »
my Gr Gr Gr Grandfather William Pender was married to Bethea Storrie

If you have a Stor(r)i/e(y) connection to Shotts, Whitburn or Cambusnethan
Go to http://www.shottshistorygroup.co.uk/
Click on Genealogy at the left-hand side
Scroll down to the bottom of the page
Click on 'Storrie Family'

Jackie, you will find your William Pender and Bethea Storrie there.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daisyjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 October 10 03:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
My great grandmother was Christina Storrie born 1847 Dyke Head Lanarkshire married John Colligan 1868 Holytown and came to New Zealand in 1879 but have nothing on who her parents were.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 October 10 10:52 BST (UK) »
According to the International Genealogical Index (IGI) at www.familysearch.org Christina Storrie and John Colligan were married on 17 July 1868 in the parish of Bothwell in Lanarkshire. Holytown is in the parish of Bothwell.

That being the case, go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, register, and invest in 30 credits, which will cost you about NZ$13. Use one credit to look the marriage up in the online index and another 5 to view and download a digital image of the marriage certificate.

This will tell you the full names of both John's and Christina's parents, and you will still have NZ$10 worth of credits to look up other things.

Which Dykehead is this? Some of my Storries were in Dykehead in the parish of Shotts. However there are umpteen Dykeheads all over Scotland, so it may not be the same one.

Offline JSHC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 October 10 19:15 BST (UK) »
Christina's parents were John Storrie & Betsy (Elizabeth) Sneddon.  John was my several x great uncle.  Unfortunately I'm away from home for the next few months and don't have info with me but I know John put in a poor relief application which listed all his children and where they emigrated to.   It would be worth you contacting the Mitchell library to get a copy.  John's parents were John Storie & Jane Black.

HTH and sorry I'm don't have access to my files!

Joyce

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 October 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
Those don't ring a bell with me. I have an Alexander Storrie married to a Catherine Black, but not a John S and a  Jane Black. I'll keep the details on file just in case I ever find a connection.