Author Topic: Gideon Hood and Marion Whitehead, Kilmallie  (Read 4051 times)

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gideon Hood and Marion Whitehead, Kilmallie
« on: Friday 15 October 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
I am looking for some information about Gideon Hood b. 1798 in Rox. and his wife Marion ( Mary, Mary Ann) Whitehead b. 1799 in Rox.

In 1861 they were in Kilmallie - North Kenlocharkaig farmhouse.  I can't find any more census information  or deaths.

I can find all the information about the son: Thomas b. 1834 in Rox. also in Kilmallie in 1861 but subsequently in Inverness until he died in 1905.

Thanks in advance.

Jacqueline

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Gideon Hood and Marion Whitehead, Kilmallie
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 October 10 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqueline

This looks to be the family in 1841:

www.maxwellancestry.com/census/41transcript.aspx?houseid=78201016

Possible entry for Gideon Hood away from home in 1851:

Francis Aitchison 44, agr. lab., b. Sprouston, Roxburghshire
Elizabeth Aitchison 31 b. Eckford, Roxburghshire
Gideon Hood 51, lodger, shepherd, b. Yetholm, Roxburghshire

Address: Lurdenlaw, Lempittaw, Sprouston, ROX.

Possible for Marion with son Thomas, showing as Mary, for 1851:

Mary Hood 54, b. Churnside, Berwickshire
Thomas Hood 16, shepherd, b. Bedrule, Roxburghshire

Address: Grubit, Morebattle, ROX.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 October 10 20:37 BST (UK) »
Jacqueline, I have misread your post haven't I! You have all the census info up to 1861 haven't you  :P It's what happened afterwards that you are trying to find. I can't find a death for them in Scotland either, nor can I easily see anything for them in England for 1871 or regarding possible migration  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 October 10 10:15 BST (UK) »
Yes, Monica , but thanks all the same. Worth a try! His other son George went to America but I can't find any evidence that Gideon went there either.

best wishes

Jacqueline

Offline carpooma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 August 15 18:55 BST (UK) »
Gideon Hood came to America (date unknown).  You'll find he and his wife in the Moss Run Cemetery in Washington County Ohio.  Great x4 grandfather.

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 15:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Carpooma

I'm so sorry not to have replied to your message in August.

I was taking a bit of a break from family history because of a lot of brick walls!

You have cheered me up.

I don't know if you have this information but Gideon Hood was the son of John Hood baptised in Linton, Roxburghshire in January 1765. John was my third great grandfather.

Thank you so much for your help.

Parakeet

Offline carpooma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 17:24 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I could help!  I had recently found the information about Gideon's baptism and his father's name, but thank you for that!  We knew Gideon was in the LochArkaig area as he was gifted an engraved, silver teapot from the shepherds on the farm, which is in our family's possession.  His daughter, Margaret, (my 3 x's great grandmother) married (date unknown) Andrew McGregor and they came to America.  Gideon and Mary followed, but we do not know when either arrived or from which port they left.  It is assumed they left during the Highland Clearance. I would love to know any details you might be willing to share.

Sherry

Offline parakeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Sherry

Thank you so much for your message. I especially liked the fact that you have the teapot! I was really pleased to hear that Gideon and Marion still had the energy to go to America in their sixties!

I don't know how much - beyond the baptism - you have discovered. I am fairly sure of some things, some of which are on my old computer - I will have to fire this up and see what else I can find.

Anyway. I was always intrigued by Gideon - even his name, which is quite unusual. I discovered that his mother, Isabella Wood had a brother called Gideon Wood, so he was probably called after him. Not found anything useful about him as yet.

When I found Gideon in Argyll in the 1861 census I was surprised. He was born in Roxburghshire on the Border between Scotland and Northumberland.( which is where my Hoods come from and mainly stayed) A very long way from Argyll. In 1851 he was still in Roxburghshire and a shepherd.I have no proof of this but someone told me that it might be that Gideon had to go to Argyll because the Laird/Landowner  he worked for might have had land all over Scotland and the employees had to go wherever he wanted.

Gideon, as far as I know, had 3 children: George, Margaret and Thomas. Thank you for the information about Margaret. I couldn't find anything else about her after 1841. I know quite a bit about George and Thomas.

Let me know if you already know all of this.  I can go on for hours!

Parakeet

Offline carpooma

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 September 15 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Parakeet,

I, too, had found that Gideon was from Roxburghshire (Yetholm to be specific).  I know that in 1861 he was working for the clan Cameron at a farm referred to as Kinlocharkaig.  We have assumed he went that far away because of work availability.  He must have been quite good at being a shepherd. 
It is very interesting to know that he had an uncle named Gideon.  I have only just begun to research Isabell and the Hood family.  Where were they from?  Who were her parents?  She has a brother!  So many questions! 
Where was Margaret in 1841?  Where/who are George and Thomas?  Did they leave Scotland as well?  So much fun!!!   I wish I was able to sit and share "our" families.

Sherry