Author Topic: Martha Daniel Davies/Davis  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Martha Daniel Davies/Davis
« on: Saturday 23 October 10 11:43 BST (UK) »
Martha Daniel Davies/Davis was born in Carmarthan c.1762, tried at Carmarthan in 1801 and sentenced to life and to transportation, arriving in Sydney in 1804 on the 'Experiment'.

Can anyone tell me where she would have been tried and would records exist and how to access them?

I know she used aliases ln Australia and that she married there under the name Davis. Perhaps her birth name was Martha Daniel.
It would be nice to know her crime, was she married or widowed in Wales, and where she was born.

I think finding her trial records would be quite informative.

Regards,

Carol

McVitty: Co. Donegal, Canada and Worldwide!
Kilpatrick: Co. Donegal
White: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Ellison: Co.Tyrone/Donegal
Fleetwood: Yorkshire.
Hassell:London,  Shadrake:London & Essex.
Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline alltcafan

• RootsChat Member
  • sun setting in Powys
    • View Profile
Re: Martha Daniel Davies/Davis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 01:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Carol,

The accused:  Martha Dani David (sic) in the Parish of Llandeilo Fawr in the County of Carmarthen
Location date of theft in Llansadwrn Parish, Carmarthenshire on 22nd Jan 1801;
Convicted date: April 1801 and Transported Nov 1803
Theft to the value of £6. 1s. 8d (about £6.08p);
Punishment: Death pardoned - Transportation for life.

When she travelled over they obviously had put her full name as it was shown as Martha Daniel David (sic)

There is more information for you to see.  Follow the link for the offence and other details can be found on The National Library of Wales (NTW) website on the following link:             
http://www.llgc.org.uk/index.php?id=searcharchivaldatabase

If this link doesn't work just put National Library of Wales in "G****e".  Then there's a choice of Welsh or English Language - click on preferred choice of language.  Then:
Click on Family History (across the top of screen),
then click: Search Archival Databases (on left hand side of screen)
then click: Crime and Punishment, and the click on "Index to Gaol Files of the Court of Great Sessions in Wales 1730 - 1830);
Then click: Search database;
Then just put Martha in the name box (& Carmarthen in the County box) and if I remember correctly about seven or eight appeared - one of which is the above..

Maybe, the NTW can help you with a fuller record than what is on the website.    I'm sorry I can't help with the birth records etc.  and it does say she was a spinster at the trial (so I assume she wasn't married when she was transported)

Hope this helps a bit.
Regards, Alltcafan. :)

EVANS/ JONES / JAMES / REES - Llangeler, Penboyr, Llanfihangel ar Arth, Burry Port & South Wales
STEPHENS - Llangeler, Penboyr & Neath
DAVIES / REES / JONES - Kilrhedyn, Newcastle Emlyn

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for all this information - yes thats definitely got to be her. It helps to have an unusual middle name! Were they really sentenced to death for theft?!

Just for the record she married a Joseph Griffiths a soldier from Wales in Aussie had two living children and lived till she was 82 but didn't get her freedom until the 1820's.

Now to find her parents! I presume the National Archives of Wales will have Church records or would they be in Carmarthen? I think I have found a possibility on the IGI baptised in Carmarthen.

Many thanks again,

Carol

Jenkins/Gardner Devon

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 October 10 15:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

I found a Court Case on NLW web site (1803).

I phoned them up & to cut a long story short ,i have a copy, 7 pages.

Makes very interesting reading.

Good Luck

Omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Carol Mack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 October 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, I would love to send for details of the court case - you never know what interesting information that might throw up.

Just out of interest, was it common for children in Wales to take the father's christian name as their surname? I think I have found a possible baptism for Martha n the IGI but her father is David Evan mother Jane (no surname) I immediately thought illigitimate but I have come across this quite a lot and I wondered if anyone knew if it was common practice or just coincidence. The thing is I think I have found a marriage for David and Jane so I really am confused and would welcome any thoughts!!
Regards,
Carol
Jenkins/Gardner Devon