Author Topic: LENNOX from Aughrim Co. Derry  (Read 12758 times)

Offline searchingmarshall

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LENNOX from Aughrim Co. Derry
« on: Sunday 24 October 10 06:56 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any information on my grandfathers family. His parents were WILLIAM GEORGE LENNOX (b1837) & MARGARET JANE CAULFIELD (b1855) from AUGHRIM CO DERRY . He had 11 siblings, Elizabeth b1873, Francis b1875, Robert b1881, Andrew b1882, Annie b1883, James b1884, William b1886, Maria b1891, John b1893, Herbert b1897 & Alfred b1899. A few migrated to Canada, my grandfather MARSHALL LENNOX migrated to Australia.
Any information on this branch of the family would be appreciated

Moderator Comment: title edited to remove capital letters.
See Topic: >>----- Guidelines for Postings / Netiquette -----<< , Reply #2 for explanation.

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,123033.0.html

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LENNOX FROM AUGHRIM CO DERRY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 October 10 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   William G. Lennox married Margaret Jane Caulfield in Woods Chapel Church of Ireland on 17 Sept 1875.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LENNOX from Aughrim Co. Derry
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 October 10 09:10 BST (UK) »
Here's the family in 1901 census- although the marriage was Church of Ireland they are listed as Christian Brethern-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ballyronan/Aughrim/1532138

Here they are in 1911 census- parents married 35 years, 12 children/11 children living-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Ballyronan/Aughrim/612914

Children- (2 in red are from your original list)
Elizabeth (1873)
Francis (1875)

Robert Caulfield (birth reg. Oct./Dec.1879)
Andrew (c1882)
Annie Matilda (c1882-alive 1911)
James (c1884)
William (c1887)
Marshall (birth reg. Oct./Dec.1888)
Maria (c1891)
John (c1893)
Herbert (birth reg. Oct./Dec.1896-alive 1911)
Alfred (birth reg. Oct./Dec.1898-alive 1911)

Civil registration index shows another Alfred Lennox- birth reg. Apr./June 1895, death reg. Jan./Mar.1896- not sure if he's the same family but the registrations were in Magherafelt registration district.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 October 10 09:34 BST (UK) »
Griffiths Valuation, 1858/59 shows several Lennox farming families in the townland of Aughrim. It is highly likely that they are related.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:02 BST (UK) »
Found this on PRONI website-
"Probate of the Will of William George Lennox late of Aughrim County Londonderry Farmer who died 2 October 1916 granted at Londonderry to Andrew Lennox Draper" effects £1,122 15s. 0d which was quote a sum on those days.

This seems to fit with this 1911 census entry I came across earlier- notice there's a Francis John Lennox (also b.Co.Derry) listed as a boarder- could this be William George Lennox's son John? (right age and I couldn't find a birth registration for a Francis Lennox)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Cookstown_Urban/William_Street/858858

Interestingly Andrew Lennox is in another Lennox household in 1901- note that all these Lennox's give their religion as Brethern or similar- and the William James Lennox head of this household also born Co.Derry-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Armagh_Town/Abbey_Street/1010075

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:30 BST (UK) »
Sadly I found more-
"Administration (with the Will) of the Estate of Francis John Lennox late of Aughrim County Londonderry Lance Corporal R.I.F. who died 1 July 1916 in France granted at Londonderry to Annie Lennox Spinster." Eddects £204
Looks like the Francis John with Andrew Lennox in 1911 is the son Francis/John.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission website lists next of kin as brother W.G. Lennox, Toronto-
http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=2056648
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other extracts- I searched for Lennox as surname with Aughrim in extract- "The Will of James Lennox late of Drumenagh County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 6 November 1881 at same place was proved at Londonderry by William G. Lennox of Aughrim in said County Farmer one of the Executors."

"The Will of Henry Lennox late of Aughrim County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 28 April 1881 at same place was proved at Londonderry by William George Lennox of Aughrim aforesaid Farmer one of the Executors."

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 October 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
LDS Pilot Site lists exact birthdates for 2 of the children:
Elizabeth born 8 June 1876 Co. Londonderry
Robert Caulfield born 24 Nov.1879 Aughrim
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=home

Henry Lennox d.1881 (will extract above) was age 73 according to death registration- so born c1808. Same index gives James Lennox's age as 58 so born c1823.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 October 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Found a Francis Marshall LENNOX born 1828 Aughrim who went to Lancaster Co., Penn.:
www.newcomer-genealogy.com/b725.htm#P18746

Possibly no connection but noticed that William George Lennox was granted probate for Will of "Jared Derby late of Lisnamorrow County Londonderry" in 1897.

1912 Ulster Covenant- search for Lennox with Aughrim as address- Annie M., James, Margret Jane, Mary, Minnie, Robert, William George- you can view the actual signatures.
http://applications.proni.gov.uk/UlsterCovenant/Search.aspx

Offline searchingmarshall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 October 10 09:39 BST (UK) »
:)
Wow, thank you for the response. I have seen the 1901 & 1911 census. The correct one is the Ballyronan one. I hadn't seen the labs family search site before. The names seem to match but the birth years are a bit different but I'm assuming there could be a million reasons for that.
Thank you for the Commonwealth Graves website. Francis (Frank) did die in WW1 That was amazing to see that.
The signature on the Ulster covenant is definitely the same William George Lennox. I assume it was a petition so that Northern Ireland remained under English rule.
I don't know the date of death of William George Lennox but that looks about right as the family had a farm and Andrew had a shop in Cooktown.
I wasn't aware of the Griffiths valuation site either. I have a lot to learn about searching ancestry.