Author Topic: Romany Names in The Midlands  (Read 15395 times)

Offline nelwild

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • great grandmother Emma Jane.
    • View Profile
Re: Romany Names in The Midlands
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 November 10 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

have had a bit of a quick trawl through the census and havent found anything conclusive for George pre-1871.

Most of the children seem to be settled in houses after 1881,and mostly doing jobs that wouldnt necassarily be considered Traveller occupations,apart from general labourer.

Hopefully this info might be useful,

Nel

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 December 10 11:17 GMT (UK) »
hi, martkos. just saw your mails, i am a distant relation to the lees,  and to the david jones you mentioned. he is my first cousin, he is from a large family, and they are all over the country,as is davie.so finding him might prove hard, but i am sure some one will help you if they can., i  may be able to give you some info, if you like. as to the name mayo i dont know it as a traveller name. but romanys did and still do alter the surname at times, also some times a gypsy girls will marry a gorgio,(non traveller) and he may take her name. or she may just have wed outside the traveller caste. the lees are a old and big romany family, they travelled all this country and still do, my g.g.mother was annie wilson. nee  lee. wed to jim wilson. i am not saying that there is a connection but with such a large family group as the lees its possible. if you want to ask anything or give me some info i could help you with feel free. rob..g
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline Martkos

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 December 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for posting Rob G, could it make things easier if I sent you as photo via e-mail of my G G grandparents? I do believe that until I see a copy of my G Grandparents Marriage certificate I cannot proceed further with the Romany link. Let me know.

regards

Martkos

Offline Martkos

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I would like someone to find me the listing reference for My G Grandmother's birth date - 1906 - Name 'Mayo, Emily Evelyn J' . Any considerations would be grateful. Please also loom under 'Mayou' also.

Thanks

Offline emmsthheight

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 31 August 11 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Martkos

Welcome to Rootschat!

Try :

1905   Jan - Mar Emily Zippporah   Abergavenny   11 a    39

1906   Jan - Mar Emily Agnes   Shaftesbury    5a  203

1906    Oct - Dec  Emily Birmingham       6d 151

1907   Apr - Jun   Emily Maud   West Derby   8b 369

Best wishes

Emms :) 
Hoey : Louth, Dublin, Lancashire,
Diggle: Pendleton Lancashire,
Stickley: Dorset, Lancashire
Bockmann, Boedemann etc Artist, Europe and London

English Merchants in Brazil and Portugal especially Carruthers family

1st Battalion Connaught rangers WW1

Website:  Look  out for new website coming soon to replace Fells and Seas

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
NelWild,  The 'James Mayo' in your list was my great-grandfather, who was born 'at the side of the road' and lived in a caravan in the White Hart Yard, Godalming - Not the 'White Hay' as stated. He left the wandering life and settled down in a house in Mitcham, a popular place with gypsies of all kinds at the time.

His son and grandson (my father) were both named George, a traditional name in our family going back. William is another common name in our branch of the Mayo family.

Oddly enough, though I'm only 1/4 Romani, I took up astrology and Tarot-reading as a career before I discovered my ancestry, as I could never settle into ordinary jobs.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

Welcome to RootsChat.

I am sorry to say that it was Martkos who was originally researching into the Mayo family but sadly their email is no longer working :'(

I have very little to go on as they only made 6 posts with no real name and googling the information they gave nothing is coming up.

Interesting to hear how you took up astrology and Tarot reading as a career before finding out your ancestry.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Paul Mayo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah, yes - and I also spent much of my twenties fruit-picking and doing seasonal work on farms!  Blood will out, I suppose.

Paul

Offline cnorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 March 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've been researching my line of LEE's who according to census forms they lived in the Kingswinford/Woverhampton area of Staffordshire, my direct connection is Hannah LEE b.1728, Kingswinford, daughter of Richard LEE b.1705, Kingswinford, Richard was married to Hannah BENNET b.1706, Birmingham, my LEE's occupations were: tin plate worker, tin plate maker, tinsmith, wood engraver, cooper (this particular occupation was passed down generations), blacksmith, wondering if these LEE's are of gypsy ancestry, many thanks, Catherine.