Author Topic: Robert FINLAYSON  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert FINLAYSON
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 June 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
FINLAYSON marriage in VIC.

Robeert Shaw FINLAYSON (on the cd index)
Place of birth PAISLEY
m. 1873
Mary Elizabeth RUNDLE
Place of birth CRESWICK
Reg #3453

EDIT
Found some very mixed up birth records.

Four children Three daughters for Robert FINLAYSON and Mary Elizabeth RUNDLE

Mary Priscilla FINLAYSON  b. 1874 GLENLYON
Reg #2679

Margaret Ellen FINLAYSON b. 1875 at BULL
Reg #14353

Maud Emily Anne FINLAYSON b. 1877 at BULLARTO
Reg  #20557

Thomas Browett FINLAYSON b. 1881 at BULL
Reg #7465

William Cuthbert FINLAYSON b. 1883 at DAYL
Reg  #22936

Essie

Offline 19021908

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 06 June 15 12:23 BST (UK) »
RF had THREE daughters with Mary Elizabeth Rundle (see earlier post). Then came a 4 yr break in child production. She registered children with Thomas Orr using Finlayson as the father as this ensured they were able to claim the socially all-important legitimacy and respectability. Orr features come through clearly in later generations!

Just as RF and Elizabeth Dawson went off to far-flung Coolgardie to 'legitimise' their relationship, Mary Elizabeth and Thomas Orr went off to do the same with the 'marrying parson' in Melbourne in 1890.

Beb

Offline Jeff Beer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 August 16 13:56 BST (UK) »
Dear All

The facts presented are true and correct. I have been chasing him for close to 30 years and was told by Mary's daughter that he went to WA and never came back.
Thanks to Trove, I can now confirm it is him, so now I am filling in all the details of his life and correct other's biased conclusions. Any details will be greatly accepted.
Jeff

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 12 August 16 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff,
I am sorry, but what 'biased conclusions'?   
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline Jeff Beer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 August 16 02:01 BST (UK) »
Bev L

Forgive me for the use of "biased conclusions", but it is the only words that can be used to describe some people's conclusions about Robert.
I descend from Mary's marriage to Thomas, and some authors on this descent path have labelled Robert as a 'deserter'. However, as I gain more information from all sides and gain a better understanding of the character of all the 'actors', I disagree.
I am now in the process of reconstructing his life, his loves, and his losses.

Jeff

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 August 16 05:05 BST (UK) »
You wrote
The facts presented are true and correct.

Public forums such as rootschat assist other members with their research ie to find the facts.   I wonder what makes one researcher's conclusions 'right' and the rest 'biased'? 

Robert FINLAYSON, 77 years, Caretaker, embarked from Fremantle on the HOBSONS BAYand was contracted to land at Hull, England.  He travelled 3rd Class.  The HOBSONS BAY arrived at Southampton on 14 Mar 1925 so his arrival in Hull would be after that date. Proposed address in the United Kingdom, Bank Street, Paisley, Scotland.  Country of last permanent residence, Australia.  Country of intended permanent residence, Scotland. 

? Robert's probate grant. 

Scotland National Probate Calender 1935
FINLAYSON, Robert, Barterholm Road, Paisley died 20 May 1935 at Paisley, testate.  Confirmation Paisley, 30 May, to Peter CRAIG, Plumber, Paisley, Executor.
Will dated 8 April recorded Paisley, 27 May 1935.
Value of estate £782.9.3.

Mary Elizabeth ORR formerly FINLAYSON née RUNDLE's headstone at Coburg Cemetery.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01i70/

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeff Beer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 August 16 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando

I respect your opinion and in normal circumstances, I'd agree with you. However, in this case, I used "biased" based on the other language used within the context of the original passage contained in the original article. If any like minded person of reasonable intelligence read the passage, a similar conclusion would no doubt be reached. However, like you yourself have said, this forum is for the exchange of ancestral information and not the lexical use of words.

Yes, Mary is buried in Coburg cemetery, with her husband, Thomas ( went past it yesterday).  The house they lived in has recently been demolished.

Thomas and Mary were married in Fitzroy by Nathaniel Kinsman. It is not known whether they knew at the time of their wedding if Robert was alive or dead, or they had just waited a few years to legalise their union. While Mary and Thomas had a close relationship with the children from her marriage to Robert (just as Mary had a similar relationship with her step-sister and brother), it is not known definitively at this particular juncture if the children had contact with their father after he left, for whatever reason.

It must have been talked about in the family as their second-youngest daughter told me about Robert herself.

Cheers,

Jeff

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 August 16 03:43 BST (UK) »
However, like you yourself have said, this forum is for the exchange of ancestral information

You haven't quoted me accurately. 

Public forums such as rootschat assist other members with their research ie to find the facts.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jeff Beer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 October 16 15:38 BST (UK) »
I've located his immigration into Australia. Does any one have knowledge of his immigration to New Zealand?

Jeff