Author Topic: Hume and Howie  (Read 6972 times)

Offline meadbh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Hume and Howie
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joanne,

Im sorry to pick this thread up so late. I looked through all my fiches of Wooler Presbyterian baptisms and, like Janis, only came up with those of Ann in 1803 and Thomas in 1805.
On the subject of marriages, if you google 'Irregular Border and Scottish Runaway Mariages' you will find a GRO Scotland publication of that name listing all known existing records of such marriages and their locations. I had a look at my fiches of Coldstream marriages (1793 - 1797) and Lamberton Toll (1804 - 1816/1849 - 1885) but they are both probably too early or too late for your enquiry. Likewise, my two printed booklets of marriages at Lamberton Toll and of marriages recorded in the Berwick Advertiser and other Border papers are also too late, covering 1833 - 1849 and 1808 - 1864 respectively. There is a fiche of pre-1837 non-Anglican marriages in Northumberland compiled by George Bell but it only covers a handful of such Presbyterian marriages in Berwick, Norham and Tweedmouth.
I had a look on ScotlandsPeople but found no marriages between a Peter Rule and Catherine Howie. There were three baptisms of a Peter Hume around the date you gave for him, one in Dirleton, East Lothian, in 1777 (father John Hume), another in Kelso, Roxburghshire, in 1779 (father James Hume), and the third in 1780 in Roxburgh itself (father Thomas Hume). Given the name of Peter Hume's first recorded son, the last one is possibly the most interesting. Under Roxburgh baptisms for 21 May 1780, the full reading is: 'Thomas Hume in Sunlas (?) Hill had two children registered here, the first was born ist November 1778 and baptized by the name of Janet, the other born the 11th December 1779 by the name of Peter baptized'.

Kath