Author Topic: Barbara Millar born Stromness c 1785 wife of Charles Bowman  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Barbara Millar born Stromness c 1785 wife of Charles Bowman
« on: Saturday 06 November 10 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Searching for parents of Barbara Millar born Stromness c 1785.  She married Charles Bowman of Tannadice at Kirkwall in 1816 as follows:-
Charles Bowman of the Parish of Stromness and Barbara Millar in this town were contracted in order to marriage on 24 August and were married on 31st same month by Mr Broadfoot, Witnesses Robert Johnstone and Margt Loutit

They had the following children:-
Charles born c 1817 Aberlemno, Angus
Barbara born c 1820 Stromness
Elizabeth born c 1825 Aberlemno
David born c 1827 Aberlemno

They lived in Stromness in 1821 but moved to Forfar before 1841 & Barbara is shown on both the 1841 & 1851 census for Forfar.  I believe she must have died pre 1855 as I cannot find a death certificate for her. None of the above children were baptised but I am able to trace them through the subsequent census entries.

Any help to trace her parents would be much appreciated

Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)

Offline Clandee

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Millar born Stromness c 1785 wife of Charles Bowman
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry I can't help you to find Barbara Millar's parents but thought you might like to know your post has been very helpful to me in confirming my findings on her son, David, his wife Catherine McLean (my 2x great grandparents) and their family. In due course I'll be moving on to Charles and Barbara. I'm intrigued already by what personal or historical forces took Charles from Forfar to Orkney.
This is my first RootsChat post so I hope it follows the correct etiquette!

Offline Binkie

• RootsChat Member
  • Queen's Arms, Bervie
    • View Profile
Re: Barbara Millar born Stromness c 1785 wife of Charles Bowman
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 April 22 18:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry I missed your post on 3 November 2021!

I had shingles so wasn't paying much attention to emails.

Charles Bowman was a soldier in 93rd Regiment of Foot. He suffered an injury to his right foot & was transferred to  9th Royal Veteran Battalion.  He was probably stationed in Orkney during the Napolenic Wars as it was thought that Napoleon might try to gain a foothold  to UK through British Islands.

Kind Regards

Agnes Gunn nee Bowman

Bowman/Burness - Angus<br />Chalmers - Lanarkshire & Stirlingshire<br />Cheakley - Kent & Westmorland<br />Miller - Orkney<br />Moorhouse - Yorkshire (Airton,Bradley, Earby & Skipton)<br />Morgan - Herefordshre<br />Riddiough - Lancashire & Yorkshire (Colne, Lothersdale & Thornton in Craven)<br />Smith - Yorkshire (Lothersdale)<br />Walker - Lanararkshire (Lanark & Lesmahagow)