Author Topic: ca. 1860 Parish Marriage Records - WOODS/CROWE  (Read 4489 times)

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
ca. 1860 Parish Marriage Records - WOODS/CROWE
« on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Two of my great-great-grandparents, James Woods and Catherine (Kate) Crow(e) had at least 5 children who were named John (18 Feb 1864), Patrick (14 Mar 1866), Bridget (15 Apr 1868), James (20 Apr 1870) and Michael (7 Apr 1873). 

The father, James Woods, was a sailor. 

At the time of their birth, John's address was given as either 51 or 57 Lower Sherriff Street; Patrick and James were listed as living at 20 Lower Sherriff Street and Michael was listed as living at 2 Emerald Street.  These addresses are all in the area of the Liffey quays and were taken from the civil birth record.

I would love to find a marriage record for James Woods and Catherine Crowe.  On their first born son's record, a Julia Woods is listed as a sister-in-law (of whom, I don't know) but she was from Kingstown (Dun Laoghaire).

Does anyone know how I could find their parish of marriage?  There are so many parishes in the area of the docks.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: ca. 1860 Parish Marriage Records - WOODS/CROWE
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:14 GMT (UK) »
do you know what religion the family were ?

(parishes are different for RC and Church or Ireland)

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I would say that they were RC. 

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:25 GMT (UK) »
The nearest RC church to Sherriff Street at that time was St. Laurence O'Toole's, which is located at the junction of Sherriff Street and Seville place. Records for this parish go back to 1853.

Records for many Dublin city parishes are available online at www.irishgenealogy.ie - but these dont seem to include this parish at the moment. Details for further RC parishes are due to be added around the end of the year.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 November 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Shane.  That's a very helpful hint.  Do you think the National Library would have the records for St. Laurence O'Toole's RC Church?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 November 10 21:00 GMT (UK) »
 Do you think the National Library would have the records for St. Laurence O'Toole's RC Church?

yes they do - microfilm Pos. 6611

includes Baptisms back to 1853, marriages to 1856

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 November 10 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Now I can go into the National Library better armed!

Offline zorbo77

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 12 November 10 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Just an update: I went to the National Library today and found the baptism records for James and Catherine's children.  But I wasn't able to find a reference to their marriage.  It could be that I missed it because the print was, in some cases, very faint.  But could it also be that they were married somewhere else?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 13 November 10 11:18 GMT (UK) »
 But I wasn't able to find a reference to their marriage.  It could be that I missed it because the print was, in some cases, very faint.  But could it also be that they were married somewhere else?

maybe the next area to try would be Catherine's home parish of Dun Laoghaire. Marriages usually took place in the district where the bride was living at the time, so if she was still living at, or close, to her family home that might be worth a try. This could fit since James was a sailor and his ship may have frequented Dun Laoghaire harbour.

Dun Loaghaire/Kingstown parish records go back to the late 1760s and are on a series of NLI microfilms :    Pos. 9071, 9072 and 9073. It looks like the marriages are all on 9073.

The IFHF pay-website (http://www.rootsireland.ie/) also seems to have records for the parish.

Shane
My Surname Interests