Author Topic: Simmer and Jack Hospital, Johannesburg  (Read 3519 times)

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Simmer and Jack Hospital, Johannesburg
« on: Thursday 18 November 10 00:58 GMT (UK) »
I have recently discovered that an ancestor of mine died in Johannesburg in the Simmer and Jack Hospital.  I understand that Simmer and Jack refers to a gold mineing company - my ancester was a tin miner from Cornwall.  Is there anyway that I can find out what happened to him or where he might be buried?  I suppose he could have been in a mining accident.  His will was administered in London, England.  He appears on the English census for 1871, 1881 and 1891 and he was married in Cornwall in 1894 so it would appear that he did not spend much time in South Africa.  I have been unable to find any passenger lists for South Africa for the mid 1890s.  I tried to see if I could find him on NAAIRS but had trouble navigating around the site.

Here are his details:

Daniel Huddy James PRYOR
Born: 1871 Gwavas, Sithney, Cornwall, England
Died: 10 April 1897 Johannesburg
Married: 1894 Cornwall to Clara

Any help would be much appreciated,
KayP
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simmer and Jack Hospital, Johannesburg
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 November 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi did not find anything on NAAIRS however if you use the link http://www.findmypast.co.uk/content/search-menu/travel-and-migration and select passenger lists 1890-1960. Type in Pryor in the surname and 1871 exact birth year and select South Africa as destination port I came up with 1 result. A J Pryor born 1871 left the UK in 1896 bound for South Africa.
Hope this helps Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline braw

• RootsChat Senior
  • South Africa Bloemfontein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 November 11 06:34 GMT (UK) »
I found only one reference to a " Pryor" in 1897

Depot: TAB (Transvaal archive)
Source:MHG
Reference:0/12684
Description: PRYOR, H.
Date:1897

Offline KayP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 18 November 11 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Pampoen and Braw.  I did not find the references you mentioned but while checking for them I came across an entry in FindMyPast for a Mr D H J Pryor who left Southampton on 30 Mar 1895 bound for Cape, South Africa.  I also found an entry for a C Pryor for the same voyage who I think is probably his wife, Clara.
Thank you so much for your help.
KayP
ALLEY (Wiltshire); HOLLAND (Lancashire); WEIR (Scotland), SUTHERLAND (Scotland); PROSSER (Brecon); PRYOR (Cornwall); ANTHONY (Cornwall); FRY (Somerset)

Offline ritpetite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 19:05 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this helps but I think there were British soldiers injured in the Boer War there as my Gr Gr Aunt nursed them.

http://www.kingscollections.org/nurses/g-i/gossage-kate-1669

Offline ritpetite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile