Author Topic: Huguenot Immigrants - WHITE Surname  (Read 909 times)

Offline Carl42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Huguenot Immigrants - WHITE Surname
« on: Friday 19 November 10 16:45 GMT (UK) »
A few years ago I visited the Huguenot Library in London and with their permission obtained a copy of a document which related to genealogical research carried out by one of their staff into Huguenot immigrants who anglicised their name to 'WHITE'.  I have 'word processed' this document and passed it back to them for their records.  If anyone would like a copy then it should be available from them or if not then I can e-mail a copy from my document - (but I am not sure if there is a process for e-mailing documents from one Rootschatter to another).  The title of the document is 'Notes on the Huguenot Family Le Blanc (White)' - the original was undated but had been typed using carbon paper so possibly dated back to the 1970's.

The document lists immigrants who fled Europe to England and Scotland between 1540 and 1815.  The bad news is that whilst some Huguenot immigrants appear to have stayed within their Huguenot community and left good records within their churches, the 'WHITE's' rapidly assimilated into English society and their tracks became blurred.  As a general word of warning I would say that if you cannot trace your WHITE ancestors back to at least 1800 then you would be unlikely to find these records useful.

Regards  Carl