Author Topic: Gateshead potteries  (Read 5336 times)

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gateshead potteries
« on: Saturday 20 November 10 15:39 GMT (UK) »
My ancestor John Codling ran a pottery business in Felling Shore and Sheriff Hill in Gateshead in 1830-40's. He went bankrupt in 1844 when in business with Thomas Patterson in Sheriff Hill (reported in London Gazette). In 1851 he was over the Tyne in North Shields living at Brewery Bank and again working as a potter. He died there in 1872.

Can anyone suggest how I can find out more about his pottery?

Has anyone come across earthenware with a Codling mark?

How could I research Tyneside potteries further?

I know that a George Patterson ran Tyneside Potteries about this time in Gateshead and John Codling may be related to the Pattersons as one of his daughters was a servant to Ephraim Patterson and recorded as the latter's niece. John's first marriage was to Sarah Patterson a daughter of Ephraim.

Can anyone with local knowledge help me?
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GATESHEAD POTTERIES
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 November 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Heworth Shore
At the Tyne Pottery, belonging to Messrs. Thomas Patterson and Co. white and coloured flint-ware are manufactured; and common brown earthen ware is made here by Mr. Joseph Dawson, and also by Mr. John Codling.

An historical, topographical, and descriptive view of the county palatine of Durham 1834

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 November 10 16:55 GMT (UK) »

Get a copy of Bell, R.C. & M.A.V Gill The Potteries of Tyneside , Newcastle Upon Tyne: Frank Graham, 1973.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TonyPatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 March 11 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My ancestor was Thomas Patterson and I have been researching for the last 6 years or so. I have managed to purchase a piece of pottery which is believed to be manufactured by Patterson & Codling. In fact one of Thomas Patterson's nieces married a John Codling whom I believe may be the son of John Codling. I would welcome sharing information if you would like to contact me

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 March 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Tony delete you e-mail address
Welcome to rootschat

You need to post 3 posts then you can PM your address to someone

Just answer back here
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline TonyPatt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 March 11 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie
Yes we have communicated with each other previously via Genes Reunited.
I purchased the pottery item last year from an antique collector. The problem I have is that there is no documentary evidence that Patterson & Codling marked their pottery although it would seem likely that they did in my opinion. I am attempting to write a book about Patterson pottery so have been buying bits and pieces when the appear in auctions. The number I bought last year include s a piece stamped P & C (Patterson & Codling) and P D C (Patterson, Dawson & Codling). An ancestor of John Codling moved down to Stockton and opened a pottery business there. I have some info which i am happy to share.

Offline Norman W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
My ancestor John Codling ran a pottery business in Felling Shore and Sheriff Hill in Gateshead in 1830-40's. He went bankrupt in 1844 when in business with Thomas Patterson in Sheriff Hill (reported in London Gazette). In 1851 he was over the Tyne in North Shields living at Brewery Bank and again working as a potter. He died there in 1872.

Can anyone suggest how I can find out more about his pottery?

Has anyone come across earthenware with a Codling mark?

I know that a George Patterson ran Tyneside Potteries about this time in Gateshead and John Codling may be related to the Pattersons as one of his daughters was a servant to Ephraim Patterson and recorded as the latter's niece. John's first marriage was to Sarah Patterson a daughter of Ephraim.

Can anyone with local knowledge help me?

I am currently researching a Falconer Charger made by Thomas Patterson. Printed and impressed marks.

Offline Norman W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any further knowledge about Thomas Patterson and the types of pottery he produced ?

Offline Norman W

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Did the Thomas Patterson factory mark disappear to become the Codling mark ?