Author Topic: Tamsen Sarah Mann/Cork/Cook  (Read 3050 times)

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tamsen Sarah Mann/Cork/Cook
« on: Sunday 21 November 10 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find this person born in Kerry who married William Chambers in Portsea, Hampshire. He was with the Royal Navy. Their son Robert was born 1874 and married Edith Ellen Taylor Toogood, they came to Australia. On his Birth certificate it is difficult to read whether her maiden name was Mann and formally Cook/Cork or Cook/Cork and formally Mann.
Not getting information on familysearch which can help.
Is Tamsen an Irish name for Thomasina?
She was Sarah in later census in Portsea. Annie

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tamsen Sarah Mann/Cork/Cook
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 10 02:39 GMT (UK) »
"Is Tamsen an Irish name for Thomasina?"

I don't think so. The name is very rare in Ireland. None at all in the 1901 & 1911 censuses, anywhere on the island. More of an English name I would have thought. Only 4 Tamsen's on the LDS pilot site marrying in Ireland. None named Mann or Cook/Cork (Plenty of Sarahs).  The surnames Mann, Cook & Cork are not especially Irish either. I could be guessing but the whole name suggests to me English ancestry rather than Irish. Perhaps her parents had settled in Kerry from England?

Her birth pre-dates the start of civil registration of births in Ireland (1864) and you are reliant therefore on baptism records. Ideally you need to know the persons religion, parish and townland to trace that. I am not sure if any Kerry parish records are on line. No doubt others will know.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 10 10:12 GMT (UK) »
many Co. Kerry parish records (RC & CofI) are available (free) on : www.irishgenealogy.ie

There's just three mentions of the name Tamsen on the entire database - two in Cork, and one in Dublin.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 10 10:15 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though Robert might not have been the first child. IGI (www.familysearch.org) has a submitted record for William Chambers born 27 Nov.1864 Queenstown, Co. Cork (page 204 in civil register) with parents isted as William Chambers and Temsen Sarah Cook.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Anste

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, There were one child earlier, Susannah but she was born in Portsea, I thought. Will have a look at family search again though as William certainly could have been in Ireland.  That child William may not have lived so he is not in the census in Portsea. Thank you for that.
Also the website for Co. Kerry, thank you Shane, I will have a look there.
William Chambers came from Kent as per the census in Portsea, but being in the Navy could have been in Ireland. Also, it tells me that Tamsen's maiden name would be Cook.  Maybe she had been married before with a name Mann.
Thank you it gives me a lead to follow, Annie