Author Topic: Convicts HANSELL and HALL  (Read 3823 times)

Offline rebelrouser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convicts HANSELL and HALL
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening Chatters,

I am hoping to obtain information on a Joseph HANSELL transported in 1811 aboard the vessel "Admiral Gambier" and also Elizabeth HALL transported aboard the vessel "Friends" in 1811.

Unconfirmed information has it that this couple married. I cannot locate a record of this.

Their origins would be great but there appears to be no actual convict indent giving this information, but there again I am hoping someone on the forum may have a lead here.

Many thanks
rr

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convicts Hansell and Hall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
There's a baptism in 1841 for a Joseph Hansell, he was born 17 July 1841, baptised 26 Sept 1841.  His parents were Joseph HANSELL and Mary Ann.  This was in NSW  ;D

You can view the above online at https://beta.familysearch.org/ perhaps there's other Hansell events on that index...

Also have you looked for the chap transported in 1811 under the surname ANSELL

And there's a marriage indexed at the NSW BDM online website for a Joseph HANSELL to Elizabeth HALL in 1812  The reference would be V1812 line 1438 of Vol 3A  A transcript of that would help give you the exact date, I think it was celebrated at Windsor, perhaps one of the first at the new church, St Matthew ...

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi rr

Your Joseph Hansell arriving 1811 on the Admiral Gambier, was tried in London in Nov (I think the year was 1809 but its hard to read), have you found his trial?  Perhaps the Old Bailey online http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/ may have the trial details.

He was still in the Windsor and Richmond districts of NSW when mustered in 1822 and 1825. 

Have you looked for a Ticket of Leave or a Colonial Pardon
 http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx

There's lots of resources for convicts and most of these resources are on the RChat NSW resources thread ....

Here's the link http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html   ;)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
England and Wales Convict registers show
Joseph HANSELL, age 19, convicted for burglary, 1 November 1809, at Old Bailey, sentenced to death, commuted to transportation for life.  Removed to hulks at Shearness (I think) 24 Jan 1810.

Unfortunately I couldn't see him on the Old Bailey Proceedings link that JM gave.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:49 GMT (UK) »

Unconfirmed information has it that this couple married. I cannot locate a record of this.

MARRIAGE:

HANSELL Joseph m. HALL  Elizabeth 1812         
Parish: St Matthew's, Church of England, Windsor
Ref Number: V18121438 3A   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judith,

I think he's there under the surname HANSEL (one L) if so, here's the opening para

819.    JOSEPH HANSEL was indicted for feloniously breaking and entering the dwelling house of   Robert Sheddon , esq. about the hour of twelve at night, of the 18th of October , and stealing therein, two gowns, value 20 s. and three dusters, value 6 d. his property; three gowns, value 30 s. a cloak, value 5 s. the property of   Agnes Sheddon , spinster ; a gown, value 5 s. two handkerchiefs, value 3 s. two caps, value 1 s. and an apron, value 6 d. the property of   Fanny Williams ; and a shift, value 5 s. the property of   Mary Kemp .

Hope this helps rr find his Joseph Hansell  ;D

Hi Merlin, well that confirms the marriage I mentioned earlier ;)

Cheers,  JM

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:55 GMT (UK) »
CHRISTENING of a son:

HANSELL William - Christening 1814
Father: Joseph
Mother: Elizabeth
Ref Number: V18143585 1A   
Parish: Church of England, Richmond

Offline Ebch

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Doolough Memorial
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Only one mention of Joseph Hansell in newspapers in UK. Dec 1909 he was being held in Newgate under sentence of death for burglary - and he was respited 'during His Majesty's pleasure'.
Mulhearn  Roche Deacey Tracy  Cordingley  Johnson Bullock  Bradley
Mayo  Roscommon  West Yorkshire  Derbyshire  Staffordshire

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 12:01 GMT (UK) »
DEATH of a daughter:

HANSELL Caroline - Death 1814
Age at Death:   INFANT
Ref Number: V18143174 2A   
Parish:  St Matthew's, Church of England, Windsor