Author Topic: BEAKHURST in 1871 census  (Read 4290 times)

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BEAKHURST in 1871 census
« on: Monday 29 November 10 05:32 GMT (UK) »
I am searching for Thomas and Eliza Beakhurst in the 1871 census.  I have them in:

1851 census in Wellington Place, St Peters Marlborough (ages 38 years) - Thomas' occupation is College watchman ( presumably at Marlborough College)

1861 census at 7 Wellington Place, Marlborough (ages 48 years) - Thomas' occupation in Ag Lab

1881 census at 7 Wellington Place, Marlborough  (ages 68) - Thomas' occupation is Gardener (Domestic servant)

I have found another Thomas and Eliza Beakhurst in the 1871 census in Kent but the ages and birthplaces do not match up with mine.

There are various interpretations of Beakhurst  which I have tried looking for but am still unable to find them.  So, I thought I would turn to you wonderful people here.

Thanks

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Beakhurst in 1871 census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 November 10 06:53 GMT (UK) »
RG10 Piece1906,  Folio 30 Page 7   
Mistranscribed as Beakhust. Mind you the writing is so flowery I reckon the transcriber did well.
 Same address.
Thomas, Eliza, Thomas 29 Maria 16 

Offline RipleyAnne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: BEAKHURST in 1871 census
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks crisane for finding this for me - I appreciate it.

Offline DaveBeakhust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 13 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks crisane for finding this for me - I appreciate it.

After 3 years perhaps you are not following this but here goes.
 Regarding the spelling, where you find written material with signatures, this family mostly used BEAKHUST.
They are my direct ancestors. In my grandfathers generation we find a first cousin marriage between a BEAKHUST, a grandson of the couple you asked about and a granddaughter surname BEAKHURST. Family tradition has it that after marriage this great uncle of mine took his wife's name, as being in business where payment by cheque was usual, his customers always wrote BEAKHURST.
So despite at least one family member being literate in early/mid 1800s, and virtually all by next generation, the name was still unstable.
A problem I have is that soundex creates a different code, though these days "variations" checked on a search usually finds both - but still not always. Sometimes variations work only one way.
Are we related? The couple you sought are my GGGGrandparents.

Dave Beakhust

Offline Beaker181004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 March 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave,

Where are you from ? Are you related to the Beakhurst's from Crumlin, Dublin ?

My name is Terry Beakhurst, my father is Philip.

I too had heard something about my surname changing years ago, as someone added an R in and it went from Beakhust to Beakhurst

Hope to hear from you, Terry

Offline DaveBeakhust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 March 13 22:51 GMT (UK) »
As far as I know, the name is from England, I can go back to Berkshire in the 1700s, but beyond that all gets a bit misty. Almost everyone named Beakhust or Beakhurst seems related (ie, there are few unlinked individuals despite having collected every birth marriage and death in England and Wales from 1837 to 2005). The odds are it is a monstrous spelling corruption of a similar-ish name.

I know that a family descended from Bernard Beakhust/Beakhurst in the mid 1800s travelled far and wide, including to France and then USA. Most of the USA Beakhursts I can find seem connected with them, and those that are still unconnected seem to have lived near the others. You told me your Dad's name but how far can you get back? Can you for instance get back to the 1880s?, or the 1840s?. That would be probably GGF or GGGF territory (My GF was born in 1880s, but I am 69).
Another branch of family in North London seem to have spread everywhere in the 1880s, and I haven't "killed them all off" yet.

Another spooky connection - Ernie Beakhurst works in the movies in Ireland as a transport driver. Back in the 1930s and 40s a Jeanne Beakhu(r)st was a Costumer in Hollywood. Find them both on IMDb. There are Beakhu(r)st branches in the USA, so I wonder if someone came back from USA. They were not there at all before 1880s. Movie industry is (rather was) full of nepotism so there could be a link somewhere.
I would be keen to probe any connections there might be. For all I know, my line could have arrived in rural southern England from Ireland in the 1700s - who knows? If they came from outside England it would have to be before about 1750-1770, but somehow I think the flow was the other way....
Trouble is, I don't know how to trace Irish records especially since the civil records were destroyed in a little bit of business in 1916! I think it is down to finding Parish Priests for anything before the 1920s. Research the old, slow way!

Offline Beaker181004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 March 13 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the quick reply. I am currently looking up my mothers side of the family which is proving quite interesting as my GGF and his son were actually involved in the 1916 Irish Rising and were part of a little army run by a very famous Irishman - Padraig Pearse.

Anyway, my fathers side of the family - you mention an Ernie Beakhurst. He is my uncle. I too have noticed this Jeanne Beakhu(r)st also in previous searches, but I'd say the connection of movies is purely coincidental. I am living in the UK, however I am from Dublin, Ireland.

I have previously seen the Beakhu(r)st name crop up in the UK (Wiltshire and London). Its an odd name. Would be good to find its original origins. Hope to hear from you again, Terry

Offline DaveBeakhust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 23:23 GMT (UK) »
This may seem to be drifting from the point, but not really as it is still very firmly connected to the family at the top of the thread.
I am pretty sure I have confirmed the "gateway" person linking the Beakhust(r)st families in UK with Ireland.
Albert Edward Beakhust was born St Pancras London 1884, son of Joseph William Beakhust and Eva Turton. Joseph William was in turn son of Thomas William Beakhust and Eliza Verge.
Albert Edward joined the Middlesex regiment in london in 1903, and within weeks was posted to Dublin. Also within weeks he was discharged "unlikely to become an effective soldier" or words to that effect but did not specify why. He remained in Dublin. In 1911 census he was living in a church run soldiers home. He married Ellen Orr in 1914, and later in 1914 signed up again to the Middlesex. His birthplace is given as "St Pancras, Dublin" which is unlikely as I cannot find a St Pancras there. All the other details match, though, so only the "Dublin" is incorrect, and may have been an assumption by the recruiting officer. Again within weeks he was discharged for the same reason as before. A pensions department slip dated 1920 gives the reason as "deaf". I imagine he joined in 1914 because of the very considerable public pressure put on able bodied men who did not. Perhaps it was more simple to join and get a discharge paper than to keep having to explain.
He had children Albert, George, Ellen and Gerald (may have been more, perhaps?).
Surname spellings seem to have migrated to beakhuRst in Ireland but throughout history you find even if the record says one, an index or transcript will say the other!
Sorry, lots of time has passed since my last post, but hope this is useful.
I have so far not found a Beakhust or Beakhurst outside of England, who (unless adopted) is not descended from Thomas William Beakhust (1813), or his brother Bernard (1819). Within England I haven't nailed down the family in Kent.

Offline DaveBeakhust

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 December 15 23:29 GMT (UK) »
I should add that Thomas Beakhust(r)st and Eliza, living in Marlborough are my 2 x Great grandparents.
Apologies if I have already told you the info in my previous reply by another route.