Author Topic: Why cant i find their marriage on Scotlands People  (Read 5498 times)

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Why cant i find their marriage on Scotlands People
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 June 05 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,thankyou,i have just found their marriage as Lex said on Scotlands People and was dissapointed to find there was no image,have you any idea how i can get Davids parents names without an accurate birth date.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 June 05 22:03 BST (UK) »
This is one of the main problems with records pre civil registration.  You will need to gather as much information as possible from all census records on which he appears, building up a possible time-frame and place for his birth.  Let's hope he is consistent.  The other thing to do is find his death certificate.  If this is after 1855, that WILL show his parents names (provided of course whoever informed the registrar gets it right!)

There is a naming pattern for Scottish families - generally speaking the first son was given the name of his father's father,
second son - name of his mother's father
third son -named after his father

first daughter - named after her mother's mother
second daughter - after her father's mother
third daughter - after her mother

This may give you some possible clues, but there again they may not have stuck to this pattern rigidly.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 June 05 22:40 BST (UK) »
HI ANN, I FOUND THESE TWO POSSIBLE BIRTHS FOR DAVID ON IGI

DAVID KENNEDY B 31/07/1810, CH 14/08/1810 DUNDEE, ANGUS

FATHER WILLIAM KENNEDY
MOTHER MARGARET GOWANS

THIS WOULD HAVE MADE HIM AROUND 24YRS WHEN HE GOT MARRIED, CHECK WHAT AGE HE IS ON CERT.

DAVID KENNEDY B 22/07/1811  CH 30/07/1811 DUNDEE ANGUS
FATHER JOHN KENNEDY
MOTHER ANN BURNS

HOPE THESE HELP YOU.

MOIRA
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline anne

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 17 June 05 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Moira and Nell for your replys.I have a problem with this David,i have him in the 1871 census living as married in a boarding house in Dundee without his family,i also have him in 1870 living in Dundee East Poorhouse.I have his wife Margaret Nicol and 3 of their children living at an address in Dundee in 1871 and Margaret is listed as widowed,i think David died in 1871 as he was in a poor state of health when he was in the poorhouse.I cant find a death record for David and there are far to many search on Scotlands People.As regards nameing patterns there are no Johns in the family but David had a daughter named Ann and a sister named Ann,he also had a son named Edward and there are no Edwards in the family.There is Williams and Margarets.I think his parents were William Kennedy and Margaret Gowans,if this is the case David would have been 8 years younger than his wife Margaret who was born in 1802.He is a total mystery.Thankyou both for your replys.Anne.
Ayrshire,Kennedy,Faulds,Cuthbert,Crawford,Young,Edgar,Bell
Dundee,Nicol,Cant,Kennedy,Jamison,
Dumfrieshire,Wilson,Maxwell,Lammie,Cowan,Young,