Author Topic: John Robert GRENESS death?  (Read 7188 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: John Robert GRENESS death?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I haven't found anything more on John Robert, I did find that article about him being at Peat's Ferry. Unfortunately I haven't done any research on him for some time.
This has got me interested again though, I remember finding a death for and Elizabeth Nelson at Peak's Ferry in 1885. Elizabeth's Sister, if she was the right one, was John Roberts wife, Anne Jane Broughton. It's starting to sound suspicious isn't it.
Looks like I will be ordering that death certificate, it may just answer where my GGG Grandmother ended up.
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 08:06 BST (UK) »
I found this death in the papers but can't find a death certificate.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/111342468
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline Mgren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hello
The wife of John Robert Grenness was Martha Payne. They married in Burra, SA in 1854, moved to Bright, then Wandiligong in Victoria. Anne Elizabeth Broughton was the the mother of John Robert Grenness and Jane Ann Field. I have only recently found the Victorian births.death and marriages online resource, and have just downloaded the marriage certificate of Jane Ann Field to Charles Walters... are you a descendent?

Neither Jane Anne Field or John Robert Grenness could sign their names at their weddings, so it it likely that they were largely illiterate...perhaps accounting for JR Grenness's frequent bankruptcies. Both James Grenness and Anne (Broughton) Field could not sign their names at heir marriage in 1844. At the marriage of Jane Ann Field and Charles Walters, Jane and both witnesses, Anne Grenness and Lewis Pollock also signed with a 'mark', signifying that they were also probably illiterate.

On Jane Ann Field's wedding certificate, Ann Grenness's name is entered as Jane Ann Grenness...  The other witness, Lewis Pollock... there are two contemporary newspaper reports of a Lewis Pollock as a drunk and delinguent. Jane Anne Field was 14 yrs 3 mths old at her wedding. This does not paint a savoury picture. Later in newspaper reports there is an Elizabeth Pollock in Ballarat as a alcoholic, perhaps dying in 1858. One hopes this is not Ann Broughton.

So far, from Vic BDM, Jane Anne (Field) Walters may have had two sons and died in 1895 (aged 60-61yrs).

I have a copy of the John Waghorn: The Grenness Family in Australia. I have transcribed this into electronic form and have added new information as it is found. I can email this is you do not have a copy already

Regards
Malcolm Grenness

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 14 June 17 02:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry just checked my tree, Elizabeth Nelson's Sister was John Robert Grenness's Mother Jane Ann/Anne Elizabeth Broughton.
I do have a copy of John Waghorns book, I spoke to him a few years ago and we exchanged enough information for me to convince him of the family connection.
mum mum

Offline Mgren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 June 17 03:45 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
very interesting about Elizabeth Nelson. I would be grateful of any information about her and her immediate family.

It seems that the birth information on both Jane Ann Field and JR Grenness is unlikely to be correct. Both were apparently very young when  married. In the case of Jane Ann Field, although an official record may exists it is still possible that it is incorrect given all the circumstances.

I have a friend born in the 1950s in country Victoria for whom no birth record existed.... it transpired that he was conceived before his parents marriage.

I visited Brooklyn for a family wedding about 2 years ago. My brother-in-law, an engineer in Sydney, has good knowledge of the engineering works, particularly the railway works up to Newcastle in the 1880s. So I am slowly putting together a picture of the area at the time. A coroners report on Elizabeth Nelson might be interesting.

regards
malcolm G