Author Topic: John Robert GRENESS death?  (Read 7187 times)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
Re: John Robert GRENESS death?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 December 10 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Martha is at Fawkner memorial Park, Methodist section compartment A Grave 141. From Fawkner Memorial Park website.

I still can't find John Robert death or his mother Ann, nee Broughton though. There was an Ann Broughton married James Willis in Vic in 1856, can't find her death to rule her out.

There is a book which is listed on Trove  "The Grenness family in Australia" a cousin is going to have a look at it but apparently can't get there till January. I hate waiting. Is anyone likely to be near the State Library?

mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 December 10 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Judith,
 Yes, a moment's research does show you are correct about Fawkner originally being known as New Melbourne General.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 December 10 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Had a look at TROVE in hopes that the book might be in the NLA but unfortunately seems to be Melbourne only.

There are two photos on TROVE which show WW1 soldiers - both sons of Charles and Elizabeth, thus grandsons of John and Martha.  National Archives have digitsed records for quite a few GRENNESS servicemen but all seem to be that second generation.

Australian War Memorial has some furhter info on these men - but nothing to help with the search for John  :-\

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 December 10 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for looking, I had hoped that someone else might search a different way and come up with something. I might try writing to the author of that book, there is only one name comes up in White Pages, just hope its the right guy.
mum mum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 December 10 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for looking, I had hoped that someone else might search a different way and come up with something. I might try writing to the author of that book, there is only one name comes up in White Pages, just hope its the right guy.
mum mum

If you are talking about John Waghorn (historian/author) then he was very much alive when I was at a conference a couple of months ago. He is in his mid 70's now, I have his personal contact details if you require them  :)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 December 10 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Merlin,
Is he the J Waghorn that a white pages search finds in Victoria? At Begonia Ct.

mum mum

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 December 10 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is mum mum, but if you are wanting information from the book I suggest you write to him & include a large SSAE for return of some possible photocopies. John was a PO official for many years, he still loves getting 'real' mail from people interested in his works. I have PM'd you his PO box address as mail doesn't go to his home address :)

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 December 10 05:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Merlin,
I just spoke to John on the phone and will send him some stuff by 'snail mail', I work for the Post Office too.

Turns out that John couldn't find out what happened to John Robert Grenness either, he said that he seems to have just disappeared. Bit of a challenge isn't it.

mum mum

Offline Mgren

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 11 June 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am Malcolm Grenness. I have come accross your roots.chat. Last report of John Robert Grenness that I have is in July 1886 as a storekeeper at Peat's Ferry on the Hawkesberry River, north of Sydney. The name of the current town is Brooklyn. During 1886 the railway line was extended to Peats Ferry and across the Hawkesbury.  Blasting continued all through the night. A large labour force must have been required. .. ie boarding houses, shops of various kinds.The Railway line was opened on April 7th 1887. 
Following the completion of this part of the railway line, building activities moved up to Gosford. So JR Grenness may have gone to Gosford of moved closer to Sydney. Having taken legal action in the Darlinghurst Court in 1886, he must have had some connections in Sydney.

Have you learned anything beyond your discussion which is now a few years old.

Regards
Malcolm Grenness