Author Topic: My Fife Family Interests  (Read 16611 times)

Offline marp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My Fife Family Interests
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Marp, I have often wondered who the Andrew Morison that went down with the General Grant was, actually I should say consoled myself with the thought that my missing Andrew (yes with one R in those days) was 'probably' him and that's why I can't find him. Obviously not  :) 

How did you discover this or is it family lore?

regards,

Lindsay

Hi Lindsay,  The drowning of Andrew Morison is a family story((My mother was a Morison).  I recall the wreck of the 'General Grant' being the subject of interest when I was a child and a story of a family member which was told to me.  The survivors of the wreck scrambled to shore on Auckland island, and Andrew Morison and some others went to seek help in a small boat.  They were never heard of again.  Ultimately, the survivors of the wreck of the "General Grant' who had remained on Auckland Island were rescued.

We have a newspaper cutting of when my late aunt Olive Morison (mother's sister) went to Otago library (NZ) closest to the site to the wreck (Auckland Island).   Olive referred to Andrew as her uncle.  However, I think this might not be accurate.  I think it more likely to be a great-uncle as the wreck was in the 1850s. This would put Andrew Morison as the brother of James Morison, and son of Alexander Morison and Helen Garnoch (or Garnock).
My particular family tree goes back in direct line to a James Morison (son of Alexander) born 4 November 1832  in Burntisland, Fife.  James Morison migrated to Melbourne, Australia and married an Elizabeth Young (from Kilwinning, Ayrshire) in Melbourne in 1857.

Any information you have regarding the Morison family of Burntisland would be much appreciated.
regards, Marp

Offline fionnghal

• RootsChat Member
  • "Cuimhnich air na daoine on tàinig thu."
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 November 05 20:18 GMT (UK) »
hi Andy
Perhaps of you name your family interests with a time slot and place against each name it might promote more interest in your names.  As it is, it's too general.  Any one name could belong to anywhere and any century

It is also helpful to include names linked in marriage.  A bit of time spent in preparation can go a long way

le durachd  ;)
fionnghal
SCT SW Mc*Linden McSevney McMillan Riddick Martin Blackwood Hamilton
ABD Robertson Jackson Norrie
ANS Buik/ck Patrick Dick
DEV Jutsum Salter Northcott
FIF Lumsden Braid Lees Morice
HAM Piper Beavis Paskins Cole/s
KEN WIL Gatehouse Piper
LIN Flint
NBL Lumsden Davidson
NTH CAM Stokes
ROX Davidson Leck Halliwell Middlemis/t Turnbull
ENG SE LaRoche McGreal/Grail Beavis Clark/e Fitzmaurice Keens
YKS Appleyard Tyas Chester
IRE Mc*Linden McSevney McTeague Fitzmaurice McGrael
LOOK-UPS Carrbridge cem.

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 16 December 05 02:26 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, Marp, must have missed seeing this one ..

I found the following from Burntisland, don't know if they are any good to you?

Margaret Morison, who died 2 May 1832, the widow of a John Milne, wright in Aberdour, age unknown .. couldn't find anything in IGI for this couple except for 2 sons born in Aberdour 1776 and 1786

George Morison, died 3 Nov 1847, aged 86. He was a shipmaster, husband of a Margaret Leslie. Margaret died 22 Jul 1842 aged 75. According to the IGI, they were married 17 Mar 1788 in Burntisland. They didn't seem to have much luck with their children, they had one son, the 2 year old George, who died 28 Mar 1799 and another son, Henry who died aged 8 months on 18 Apr 1799, a daughter Elizabeth who died aged 1 year on 18 Apr 1799, a son Andrew aged 13 who died on 25 Mar 1820 and a grandson, Robert who died aged 15 months on 8 Feb 1828.

Good, I thought, to see that at least one of their children survived then I had another look on the IGI and they had several more.

Also found a Michael Garnock who died 16 Mar 1739 aged 4 of smallpox in Burntisland and his sister Janet, died 30 Mar 1739 aged 2.  Their poor parents were Michael Garnock and Janet Nicholson.

regards,

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline reporter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 16 December 05 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andy. I am trying to find information on an Ann Arnot, born 1813 at Ballingry, Fifeshire. She married John Adamson, a shepherd/farmworker, born in Kennoway, Fifeshire. Any connection with your Arnots?

Offline bmorison

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 15 June 06 05:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Marp,

It seems you already know a bit about the sailor Andrew Morison who sailed with the General Grant.  I have a bit more about his family, from which I am descended.
He was the son of Alexander Morison and Helen Garnoch ( married on the 3/9/1830 ).  He was born in 1845, but I don't know where.

His brothers included Henry ( who went to New Zealand )  and John ( who I think became a minister at Auchtermuchty, where he is buried.  I think the church is closed ).  He had two older brothers: George ( born on 19/10/1831 I think ) and James, who was born on 6/1/1833 ).

James emigrated to Melbourne and married Elizabeth Young on the 31/12/1857.  They had several children including a son they named Andrew ( born 19/11/1865 ).  Presumably this child was named after his heroic uncle who died as a result of the shipwreck of the General Grant in the Auckland Isles.  This Andrew is my great grandfather.
Andrew and Elizabeth emigrated to Perth in West Australia but returned to Melbourne a few years later. 
If you wish, I can tell you a bit more about the children of James and Elizabeth.  Let me know if you are interested.  I have all this information from Olive Morison who died at the beginning of the 21st Century.
Cheers,  Bruce.
Morison Truman Miles Garnoch Young Whitcher

Offline siptree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 15 June 06 15:55 BST (UK) »
I have a Robert Robertson B 1773 Cults (possibly joined Royal Artillery) Died 1845 Rye Sussex. His parents were Thomas B 1741 and Ann Henes or Scenes B Cults 1745 i am intersted in further info on these and their parentage.

Regards Susan

Offline Fiona K

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 31 August 06 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy ...

I'm interested in Kirkaldy's and White's from Angus and Fife.  My branch moved South (to the NE England) in the 1890s.

Cheers,
Fiona

Offline scrumsrus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mainly from both sides of Scottish Borders & Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 31 August 06 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Fiona,
I have Mary Kirkaldie marrying William Halkerston on 3rd June 1826 in St.Andrews. I think Mary was born 26th July 1801 in Cupar, her parents were Alexander Kirkaldie (b. 14 Dec 1767 in Kinghorn) & Mary White (bapt. 24 April 1768 in Cupar)

Do you know this family.

Regards
Andy Stuart
Direct surnames: Stuart, Lowes, Welsh/Welch, Purvis, Robertson, Scott, Halkerston, Middlemoss, Stothert, Brown, Arnot, Mather, Wilson, Kirkaldy, Hamilton, Geggie, Wood, Huntley, Parker, Pigas,  Hunter, Close, Douglas, Young, Robb, Hannah, Fraser, Brydon, Hill, Harrison, Paterson, Hall, Bell, McQuaker, Edgar, McKeand, Bruce, Cumming & variants of all the above and many other less direct relatives.

Offline sarnia23

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 03 November 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a kirkaldie by birth the earliest i have gone back is to a thomas born in 1736 whose parent where ALEXANDER KIRKALDIE AND BETTY HIGH I have only gone down the thomas line although each of the thomas had siblings where i do have information on some of them here goes
THOMAS B 1736 married MARY THOMPSON 1773 KINGHORN
THOMAS B1779 married CATHERINE HENDERSON 1812 DUMFERLINE
THOMAS B1825 married MARGARET KNOX 1852 (thomas was not the eldest son) CUPER
THOMAS B1853 married JANET WALKER 1878 BURNTISLAND
THOMAS B1879 married MAGGIE SHEARER 1904
Thomas and maggie only had 1 child mary born 1912 my grandmother my father thomas 1936 was her eldest son