Author Topic: My London Massey dead ends! Any help would be appreciated!!!  (Read 10173 times)

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My London Massey dead ends! Any help would be appreciated!!!
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Your william born 1739 was son to William Massey & Hannah. Do you have this marriage?

William Massey to Hannah Wallbank on 28 September 1738 at Westminster, London.

Also Sue on "A" has William Massey born 1737 at St Alphage-London Wall, parents William Massey & Margaret Overton.

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Salkeld/Cumberland/Northumberland
Robinson/London
Stewart/Ireland/Scotland/England

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Your william born 1739 was son to William Massey & Hannah. Do you have this marriage?

William Massey to Hannah Wallbank on 28 September 1738 at Westminster, London.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

No I don't! You are getting me all excited!!!

What is your source? What makes you so certain it is the same William, apart from the birth date?

Can you PM me source details please?

Guy  :) :) :)
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 December 10 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The pilot family search site has a baptism record for William Masey 17 Feb 1739 at St Andrew, Holborn. Parents William & Hannah Massey.

I then looked for a marriage around that time and found the one I previously posted.

http://pilot.familysearch.org

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Robinson/London

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 December 10 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I am becoming befuddled!
There appear to be lots of William Masseys!
Tobias also has Williams as descendants, this could I guess indicate that a link is near, if only I could see the wood for the trees... (or the right William for all the Williams!)
I will have to try and plot each one.... quite a jigsaw!
Thanks for all the pointers so far folks.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 December 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
A bit more on the William Massey and Hannah  Wallbank marriage for you if it helps

Groom - William Massey - Tobacconist of Clerkenwell
Bride - Hannah Wallbank of Clerkenwell
28 September 1738
Marriage took place at The Anchor (sorry cannot make out the last word) but is transcribed as the Anchor & Hope
Registration Town/County: Fleet, London
HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 December 10 16:47 GMT (UK) »
A bit more on the William Massey and Hannah  Wallbank marriage for you if it helps

Groom - William Massey - Tobacconist of Clerkenwell
Bride - Hannah Wallbank of Clerkenwell
28 September 1738
Marriage took place at The Anchor (sorry cannot make out the last word) but is transcribed as the Anchor & Hope
Registration Town/County: Fleet, London

Thank you. That ties in with a tree that Cousin Sue sent me a couple of years ago where she had found a William Massey and an unidentified Hannah. I don't think that it was proven at the time, but the new information you have provided certainly should help. I hope that I will hear from Sue soon and compare notes. What on earth would The Anchor & Hope be? It sounds like a Tavern not a church!

Offline Sharon01

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 December 10 17:02 GMT (UK) »
This could be Hannah's baptism.

Hannah Wallbank
Baptism/Christening Date 16 Feb 1718
Baptism/Christening Place Saint James, Clerkenwell, London
Parents  John & Anne Wallbank

Sharon
Fagan/England/Ireland
Aldridge/London
Sills/London/Kent
Hartwell/London
Robinson/London

Offline Captain2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Dear Grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 December 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Its the Anchor & Crown! Info taken from 'Marriages from  Walter Wyatts Register of Fleet Registers performed according to the Rules of the Fleet, London'   RG7/165/108.  Walter Wyatt was the Minister who performed the ceremony for the marriage, it also says against William -Bc- ( batchelor) and Hannah -Sp- (spinster)

HARE - Taunton, Somerset  COOKSON - London ANDREWS - PLANE & PARKER -Peckham
HYDE - Berkshire - Australia/CLEMENTS - Berkshire
WOODLEY - Berkshire - Oxfordshire
GARRETT Bradford Abbas, Dorset
SMITH - Islington, Holborn, London
TROAKE - Devon - ADAMS - Devon/Somerset
WINNEY - Berkshire/Oxfordshire
EASTERSON - Kent  BURLINGHAM - Oxfordshire
LYONS & CURTIS - Berkshire

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 December 10 19:18 GMT (UK) »
How very odd! This will be The Anchor & Crown in Fleet Market and Walter Wyatt is the parson mentioned in the following quote from "British History on Line" I never knew that marriages took place in Taverns at the time. Was this commonplace, or was it peculiar to Fleet?

"Standing in the chief thoroughfares or side-alleys and by-yards of the Fleet quarter, their taverns had signs, some of which still pertain to hostelries of the locality. For instance: 'The Cock,' near Fleet Bridge, and 'The Rainbow' Coffee House, at the corner of Fleet Ditch, were famous marryinghouses, with signs honourably known at the present day to frequenters of Fleet Street taverns. The 'Cock and Acorn,' the 'Fighting Cocks,' the 'Shepherd and Goat,' the 'Golden Lion,' the 'Bishop Blaze,' the 'Two Lawyers,' the 'Wheatsheaf,' the 'Horseshoe and Magpie,' the 'King's Head,' the 'Lamb,' the 'Swan,' the 'Hoop and Bunch of Grapes,' were some of the taverns in or near Fleet Street and Fleet Market, provided with chaplains and chapels, or private rooms, in which marriages were solemnised on every day and night of the year. William Wyatt—brother of the notorious and very successful Fleet parson, Walter Wyatt —was landlord, first of a public-house in Sea Coal Lane, and afterwards of the 'New Market House,' Fleet Lane, in both of which houses he drove a great trade, and flourished under his stately brother's patronage. The 'Hand and Pen' was a sign which proved so attractive to the generality of spouses, that after it had brought success in trade to one house, competitors of the original 'Hand and Pen' public-house adopted it. Joshua Lilley's 'Hand and Pen' stood near Fleet Bridge; Matthias Wilson's 'Hand and Pen' looked out on the Fleet Ditch; John Burnford's 'Hand and Pen' kept open door at the foot of Ludgate Hill; and Mrs. Balls had her 'Hand and Pen' office and registry of marriages within sight of the other three establishments of the same name. When Ben the Bunter married fair Kitty of Kent Street, he went to the 'Hand and Pen,' and was fast bound to his damsel by a stout and florid clergyman, for the moderate fee of half-a-crown."