Author Topic: Matthew Moore - Co Wexford  (Read 9035 times)

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
Matthew Moore - Co Wexford
« on: Wednesday 13 April 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for some information about Matthew Moore.  I had previously posted a topic but have since found some more information and I'm hoping someone may be able to help me now.
Matthew Francis Moore was born c1891 in Enniscorthy.  His father was William Moore - a Post office Inspector. 
If anyone can give me any information, I would be eternally grateful!!!
Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline gumdropz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew Moore - Co Wexford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 05 02:13 BST (UK) »
Hi...I've been looking for my ancestors from Wexford for many years and after reading your post, am thinking there may be a link between our families. I don't have a lot of information, but do know that my ancestor by name of William Moore resided at Enniscorthy Castle at sometime. My Moore family go back as far as 1746 in Wexford and they are the main ones I'm researching at the present time. I've found some details from the Church of Later Day Saints site, but very little other information seems to be available unless I pay an astronomical amount of money to have them researched.

The particular family I'm looking for are: William Moore married Frances Hodson and had several children including my great grandmother x 5 ..Mary Ann Moore (who married her cousin John Moore) This is where the Moore name came into our family. I have no information on William Moore except that he once lived at Enniscorthy Castle. My main line came from Frances Hodson, whose parents were Lorenzo Hodson and Elizabeth Hutchinson.

Not sure if this helps you in any way, but maybe you might have some information I could use. In any way, I would love to hear from you. Good luck with your searches.
Kind regards

Offline KPM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 April 05 12:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for coming back to me.  So far, I have drawn a black as far as Matthew is concerned, so its nice to have a reply from someone, even if it does turn out that there is no link -  I hope not.
Unfortunately, I know very little about Matthew Moore, and what I do know is sketchy.  He is my husband's gr grandfather and died in 1945. 
My father in law, only knows what little his mother told him, and sadly she too has passed away now.  The story she told was that Matthew was born in Enniscorthy and married somewhere in Ireland - maybe Enniscorth but I'm not sure.  There was also some talk of a Castle but again I'm not too sure, but I will quiz my F.I.L again when I get a chance.  Matthew was said to have left his wife and several children and moved to London in 1912.  Whether or not this is true, again I do not know, but on his marriage certificate, he was recorded as 'widower' so I suspect his wife probably died before he left Ireland.  During the war, he worked for Thornycroft Marine Engineering in Reading, Berks and then joined the Flying Corp.
The final piece of information I have, is that one of Matthew's children (from Ireland) became a Nun, and her name was Sister Helen de la Conceptia (probably spelt that completely wrong!) but I haven't been able to find out any more than that.
That is all I can tell you at present, but if any of the above helps, please let me know.
Would the William Moore you are tracing be in the right time scale to be Matthews father - c1870? 
Finally, do you know how I would go about finding Matthews birth cert.  I have checked the Irish GRO sites, but it would appear that I do not have enough information to complete one of their forms.  Is there a BMD registry that you know of?
Thanks again for coming back to me, and apologies if I've rambled on a bit!
Best wishes

Hamilton, Kingston, Surrey
Dorbon, St Pancras
Paterson, Middlesex & Fife
Underhay, Clerkenwell & Devon
Jackson, Neithrop
Axon, Walmer, Deal
Turner, Ambrosden Oxn
Fullagar, Kent

Offline gumdropz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 April 05 12:59 BST (UK) »
 ::)
Hello again
Have you checked out the Mormon's website? www.familysearch.org
There are 2 Matthew Moore's there with William as their father, but with b/dates of 1873. Could be worth a look, but no other information.
Also, I've found that by posting messages to other sites such as genealogy.com and a few other good ones on the net have proved very useful to me. Might be worth your while to give them all a try. You'd be surprised at who views these sites and may be able to help you.
As for BDM's, I'm sorry I cannot help you there, I have enough problems looking for my family here in Australia and there is only one state here where I can actullay search online for free for BDM's.

If you would like to contact me via my email, I can help you with other message boards. My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Chevynova

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi...I did a search on my Grandfather Matthew Francis Moore and I was directed to this site. My grandfather was originally from Enniscorthy and came over to England and settled in Reading Berks. He died in 1945 from a heart attack, my dad was one of nine children but I am lead to believe that my grandfather also had children back in Enniscorthy. I would love to hear from anyone who could shed some light on my grandfather's life in Eire, as all of my grandfather's children here in England have now passed away. Thanks in advance...

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
As you don't give any idea of his age, religion, when he went to UK etc etc...

a possible: 
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Enniscorthy_Urban/Mary_s_Hill/680128/
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Chevynova and welcome  :)

Although this is an old thread, KPM has been online recently so hopefully will see your post.

Have you looked at the Irish Census?

1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Enniscorthy_Urban/Friary_Hill/1787534/

William Moore is a Postman.

Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
I was thinking that yours and KPM's Matthew were the same person but the information from KPM is that Matthew came to England 1912.

Here is a marriage for the Matthew from the censuses - 1913  :-\

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1914/09842/5573985.pdf

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 October 16 20:40 BST (UK) »
Here is the birth registration for the same Matthew but it is no use looking further until we feel more sure of him.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02493/1924785.pdf