Author Topic: George R. Pond - Transatlantic flight pioneer  (Read 3262 times)

Offline mcmahongg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George R. Pond - Transatlantic flight pioneer
« on: Monday 27 December 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for any information on the later career of George R. Pond who with Cesare Sabelli attempted a US-Rome flight in 1934, crashlanding in Ireland - especially when/where he died and any obituaries.

Thanks for any leads

Gerry

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George R. Pond - Transatlantic flight pioneer
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 December 10 20:33 GMT (UK) »
He seems to be on the military grave locator with a death date of 13 May 1934:  http://gravelocator.cem.va.gov/j2ee/servlet/NGL_v1

Or maybe that's just coincidence?  I'm seeing newspaper articles about him after that date.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcmahongg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 December 10 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Not the right man - as the aviator was still flying later in 1934. Thanks for that useful site!

best wishes

Gerry

Offline mcmahongg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 10 20:48 GMT (UK) »
That's him on the site -
http://www.century-of-flight.net/Aviation%20history/pathfinders/Record%20Setting%20Flights%20to%20Australia.htm

I've seen sites that give Kingsford Smith's co-pilot on the fateful 1935 flight as George Pond - but it was actually Tommy Pethybridge.

best regards

Gerry

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 December 10 02:27 GMT (UK) »
In case it helps, I think I found him in the 1930 Census living in Arlington, Massachusetts at 36 Chandler St. with his wife Winifred W. Pond, 2 possible children (I'll leave out their names on the off-chance they're still alive), father-in-law George H. York and mother-in-law Eleanor M. York.  His entry is as follows:

Pond, George R., son-in-law, male, white, age 40, married, age at first marriage - 24, born Iowa, father born United States, mother born Iowa, occupation - aviator, independent, veteran of WWI

His wife Winifred appears to be on the Social Security Death Index with a birth date of 9 Nov. 1895, death date of Dec. 1979, last residence - Arlington, Massachusetts, last benefit - Plymouth, Massachusetts.  The Massachusetts Death Index gives her exact date/place of death as 8 Dec. 1979 in Plymouth.  Sometimes obituaries will mention when the spouse passed away, so maybe Winifred's would mention George?  Perhaps someone can find it.

Offline Nalgas Heladas

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 August 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
I have a book authored by Pond.  Aviation Review 1921 San Diego.  Inscription to Adm. Welles, signed by Pond.  Let me know if you are interested.

Offline TravelBee

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 December 22 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Good day. "Aviation Review U.S. Navy San Diego, California 1921" was recently donated to our museum library and I was very impressed to find mention of it in the comment to this post. If there is a way to get in touch with Nalgas Heladas who posted photos of "Aviation Review" cover and a few pages, it will be very exciting. According to the donor, his friend acquired "Aviation Review" at the yard sale. Hope to hear from Nalgas Heladas or anyone who has "Aviation Review U.S. Navy San Diego, California 1921" in their possession.