Author Topic: Tipton Photos  (Read 11126 times)

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tipton Photos
« on: Monday 27 December 10 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone had any photos of the Wagon and Horses pub in Tipton around 1930's when my grandparents Cyril and Ethel Moreton ran it, also the butchers shop in Market Street owned by Stephen Evans.  

Thanks,

Crystal
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline Lynntony

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sisters
    • View Profile
Re: Tipton Photos
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Crystal

I found a couple of pics, both comparitively modern, by doing an image search on Yahoo and Google. The pics are probably both copyright so, unless you obtained permission, the restorers here wouldn't be able to "age" them for you.

The one on Yahoo is from an estate agent which says the pub is currently for sale for around £700,000! Bet your grandparents wouldn't have believed it!

Tony
Lynn:- Shelton, Edwards, Looker, Platt, Ames, Bagley, Cadman, Cokes, Edmunds, Seymour, Waldren, Mulloy, Cockin/Cockayne

Tony:- Davies, Murphy, Kidd, Elwell, Pither, Roper, Marshall, Whelan, Lycett, Farley, Turner, Rhodes

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Crystal,

Here is a modern picture that was kindly posted to me on here a couple of years ago, although from your post I think you mean a picture from the 1930s.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,322608.msg2033691.html#msg2033691

Simon

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 January 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony and Simon

Many thanks for your replies - Tony - Checked out google and Yahoo, yes I also think they would have been very surprised at the asking price.

Simon - thanks for the photo, I was after an older picture but this is a start as I didn't have any pictures at all and I now have an idea of what it looks like.  Some older photos may turn up one day.

I was also wondering if you knew if any records/documents exist that would relate to their tenancy?  After they left the Wagon and Horses, they ran the Lamb at Edgmond for a while - I have a postcard picture of the Lamb which is why I wondered if anything similar existed for the Wagon and Horses.

Thanks again.

A very grateful Crystal  :)
Bean - Alrewas, Staffs, Moreton/Morton-Hemsworth/Wellington/Staffs, Evans-Tipton, Richardson-Staffs

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
  • Tipton born,Tipton bred.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 January 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hi Crystal Lady

The picture in the lik below is the Waggon and Horses in Dudley Road,there is also another Waggon and Horses in Toll End Road thats been around for yonks,I'm wondering which one it is that you are interested in?

bagpuss  :)
Paternal side:
Pickerill,Jenkins,Randle,Wile,Doran,Southwick..

Maternal side:Danks,Smith,Leech,Jarvis,Hunt,Wain...

Areas~Tipton,Wednesbury,Dudley,West Bromwich.....THE BLACK COUNTRY!!!!

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 January 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »

Hi Bagpuss - oh, I had no idea that there were two of them  :-\  I'll have to have a word with my dad and see which one it is, I think he was born there so he should know  ;D 

I will get back to you on this Bagpuss but it may be towards the end of the week as I have to have some more hospital tests done this week.

Thanks, Crystal

Offline crystal lady

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 January 11 21:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi, sorry I've been so long but it took me a bit longer to recover from the tests than I expected  :'(

I've spoken to my dad and he does not know which one it is - they moved from there when he was very young.  He did say that it was always refered to as at Great Bridge - does this help at all?
Many thanks.

Crystal

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 January 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
The Waggon and Horses in Dudley Road appears to have closed down now. A quick google found a planning application from the beginning of last year to turn it into a Co-op convenience store. The picture in the previous link was taken in 2008.

Simon

Offline bagpuss1971

• RootsChat Member
  • Tipton born,Tipton bred.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 19:31 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hello Simon & Crystal,

The Waggon and Horses that is now a Co op is on Dudley Road West,just of Groveland Road,it does have a Tipton postcode but is on the Tipton-Tividale border,I used to deliver to that area whilst I worked as a postie.  :)
I did consider that one too but the building looked relatively new,so I thought that it may be to modern for the date that Crystal was asking about.

Now the one in Toll End Road is closer to Great Bridge,but couldn't be classed as Great Bridge,because it is in the Toll End part of Tipton....bear with me,because it is possible that there was one in Great Bridge,there have been loads of pubs closed down here just in my time, :( so I will take a look in my books now.......also,was the butchers also in Tipton,there is a Market Place in Great Bridge??

bagpuss  :)

Paternal side:
Pickerill,Jenkins,Randle,Wile,Doran,Southwick..

Maternal side:Danks,Smith,Leech,Jarvis,Hunt,Wain...

Areas~Tipton,Wednesbury,Dudley,West Bromwich.....THE BLACK COUNTRY!!!!