Author Topic: Can you search for house number and road in 1861?  (Read 11215 times)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can you search for house number and road in 1861?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Crocker appears to have been born Mitford, Herts if my translation is correct and not Hants (1871 census) if that is correct he should be findable....and if I had a pound for everytime I said that!

;D

It looks more like Milford, Hants to me. If you look at earlier censuses you will find a number of Crockers from Milford and Millbrook, Hampshire (not from Mitford, Herts).

Nigel
Essex - Burrell, Thorogood
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
North Devon - Burgess, Chalacombe, Collacott, Goss
Northamptonshire - George, Letts, Muscutt, Richardson
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I changed it on finding John's birth but I wasn't quick enough by the look of it  >:( see reply 25

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes, except I don't think Samuel Crocker actually existed - I think he was an alias for William Henry Crocker.
I think the place is actually Milford (on Sea), Hampshire (Hants) - which is where William Henry was also born! WH was also a chronometer/ watchmaker/ jeweller with a string of shops. He also appears to have had a string of women, lol!

I agree that this is a possible scenario and which is why I enquired in my earlier post as to whether you had looked for a baptism of a Samuel Crocker around 1811 in Hampshire (eg looked at the parish registers for Milford at the Hampshire R.O.). If there is no baptism then it helps to support the theory.

Nigel
Norfolk - Alcock, Bowen, Bowers, Breeze, Burton, Creamer, Hammond, Sparkes, Wakefield, Wiggett
Somerset - Barber
Wiltshire - Brine, Burges, Carey, Gray, Lywood, Musselwhite, Perris, Read, Turner, Wilkins

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Worth investigating?

William Crocker Smith born June qtr 1861 Yeovil R.D

Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Maybe but I think they are quite far away - Crocker is a (fairlyish) well-known West Country name and there are some Crocker Smiths born in wedlock to Crocker Smith parents in that area. It is food for thought though - thanks.

Nigel - yes - that would be a good idea. It may have to wait a while though as I am carless at the moment! I shall have a look at the certificates first. My grandfather's family history sheet does not name his grandfather (either Samuel/ WH or Edward) and also suggests that his wife was Elizabeth. This is clearly all wrong as census records even in 1901 give her name as Susan and all the correct names of all the other children. What he does say though, is that this mak worked as a clock and watchmaker for Sir John Bennett - that narrows it down a little and the British Horological Institute say that there is no record of a Samuel but plenty of references to William Henry...
As William Henry also seems to have married Susan Caroline's neice, I'd say the odds seem pretty high that he is one and the same lothario!

Thanks for all the info :)

Offline nigelp

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:01 GMT (UK) »
I am also wondering whether this could be a child of Susannah  :-\:

Birth:
Susan Smith CROCKER - 1b 82 St Pancras Jun 1854 qtr

Death:
Susan Smith CROCKER - 1b ? St Pancras Dec 1854 qtr
Burial was at St James The Less, Bethnal Green on 29 Oct 1854 (child aged 8 weeks)

Nigel

Somerset - Barber

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:22 GMT (UK) »
How sad - possibly!

Offline astral14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Cholera was rife in 1854.

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:28 GMT (UK) »
So you think this is the culprit and I think that his wife definitely knows whats going on!

Susannah declares she is a wife but doesn't put mar (married) in the condition section and as an afterthought a large W is then inputted in that section by someone, probably the enumerator?....Susannah is no fool.........

1871 census
Alie Street, Great, St Mary Whitechapel, London, Middx 
Susannah Crocker......Wife.......60 W......................Bucklesbury, Berkshire
Robert............"...........Son........29...watchmaker.......................Clerkenwell, Middlesex
Ferris David Porter...Boarder.....16....clerk c......................Whitechapel, Middlesex
------------

1861 census
34 Great Alie Street, Whitechapel, London, Middlesex
William H Crocker....Head....52...Chronometer Maker....Milford, Hampshire
Susannah......."........Wife....52.......................................Bucklebury, Berkshire
Robert............".........Son.....21....Watch Maker..............St Luke, Middlesex
Frederick........".........Son.....20...Clerk Stationer............Whitechapel, Middlesex
Ferris? Porter.............Visitor....7.......................................Stepney, Middlesex
--------

1851 census
58 Mansell Street, Saint Mary Whitechapel, Tower Hamlets, London, Middx
William Hen Crocker....Head....50....Chronometer Maker........Hants
Susannah.........".........Wife......43...........................................Bucklesbury
William Henry....".........Son.......14........Scholar.......................Trinity Minoris
Robert...............".........Son.......11........Scholar.......................St Lukes
Frederick...........".........Son.......10........Scholar.......................Whitechapel
--------

Bryant