Author Topic: Which David MUTTON is which  (Read 12088 times)

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which David MUTTON is which
« Reply #27 on: Friday 26 February 16 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Also I have obtained both marriage certificates of Mary Sheahy 1862 (father Patrick) and Johanna Shay 1858 (father Michael) and they were both living in Kooringa South Australia!

Offline Spike H

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 26 February 16 23:02 GMT (UK) »
There is a NSW death for Johanna BENTLEY NSWBDM 1211/1918, father Michael at Katoomba.
Burial for Johanna Maria BENTLEY at Blackheath (Blue Mountains Cemetery Register). DoD 28 Dec 1917. She is buried in the Catholic Section. No sign of him although there are several other Bentleys including Thomas Friend BENTLEY d 1942 aged 81. Possibly a son.
UK: Lee, Swift
CON: Davey, Harding, Hocking, Rule, Whinnen
AUST: McIntosh

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 27 February 16 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Marriage to CASTLE
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/49778220

The romantic tale as part of the obituary of Johanna.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/166853954

I can't, at this stage, locate the item regarding the alias use of the name Thomas CHURCH by John BENTLEY.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 27 February 16 03:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all John Bentley is buried Little Hartley cemetery ( I think this is because he was not Catholic and possibly never legally married to Johanna). I have everything about all their children and where they all lived in Mount Victoria etc. I need a link to trace Johanna back to Ireland. I think Mary Mutton was related to her? Irish naming patterns indicate Johanna's mother may have been Amelia because this was the name of John Bentley and Johanna shays first born child!
Kind regards Sandra

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 27 February 16 03:46 GMT (UK) »
This passenger list names Mary SHEA as coming from Galway.
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/nashwauk1855.shtml

Essie

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 27 February 16 07:41 GMT (UK) »
It is incorrect I paid for a copy of the actual passenger list from South Australia which states they both came from Kilkenny!! Kind regards Sandra (Australia)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 27 February 16 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Sandra perhaps you had better contact the transcriber Robert JANMAAT with your information.
Contact email is on the link on Essie's post.

You are posting on the Australian board and many of us who have replied are South Australians and I for one, would certainly be interested from whom you purchased 'a copy of the actual passenger list'.  The survival rate of passenger lists in SA is rather poor.  Do you mean you have a copy of the original passenger list?  If so lucky you.  SA Records and SLSA have Assisted Passenger lists and the series is also mentioned on the linked list compiled and transcribed by Robert JANMAAT.

A Judith Shea (Johanna) and Mary Shea came to South Australia in 1855 as Irish servant girls on the ship Nashwauk which was wrecked Port Noaralinga

Port Noarlunga not Noaralinga - the town wasn't surveyed until 1859.  There was only a district named Noarlunga in 1855.  Robert JANMAAT also mentions the wreck near Noarlunga.

I quote from Barry Leadbeater's website.

Only a few original passenger lists survive, so it has been necessary to use other sources. Even these original lists are only as accurate as the literacy of the recorder and passengers supplying their details allowed. The ship manifests are even less accurate because they are transcriptions of the original lists onto the cargo manifests. Similarly, the newspaper listings are transcriptions. The applications for a free passage suffer from the same problems as the original passenger lists. Then there is the difficulty of reading the old handwriting, which sometimes introduces further errors. Some sources are quite unreliable, but have not been excluded because at times they are the only sources of the information. Others only provide given names and maiden names not found elsewhere.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandralost

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 27 February 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you The reason I posted here is that I was hoping someone in South Australia may know where Mary Mutton was born?

I am sorry for any misspelling. I should have referred it as The Port Noarlunga jetty (which was constructed in 1855  just prior to the wreck)

(The morning after the wreck the passengers were taken to the newly built Port Noarlunga jetty to be transported aboard the mail steamer “Thomas Melbourne” to be transported to Port Adelaide)

Apparently this jetty was destroyed by bad weather early 1900s and a second jetty was built in its place.

I was confused about the online passenger list not matching up also.

I paid for a copy of the "original passenger list of the Nashwauk" from
Genealogy SA "South Australian Genealogy & Heraldry Society Inc"

SRSA
Nominal list of Emigrants on board the Nashwauk dispatched from Liverpool for Adelaide SA GRG 35/48A/1855/16

Also The book "Servants Depot's" (by Marie Steiner) has these two passengers being both from Kilkenny. (The matron in charge of the girls apparently was notorious for transcribing the names incorrectly).

Kind regards Sandra (Wollongong NSW)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 27 February 16 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  Forgot that SAGHS have copies of the SRSA original records for assisted immigrants.

SRSA
Nominal list of Emigrants on board the Nashwauk dispatched from Liverpool for Adelaide SA GRG 35/48A/1855/16

http://www.archives.sa.gov.au/content/our-catalogue

and

http://guides.slsa.sa.gov.au/archivessearch

The info may help others reading this thread.

Your copy of the nominal list has the same information as the transcribed ShipsList passenger list?

Your personal profile has a place to record your location :)

Cheers  :)
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk