Author Topic: Cork to Australia "Where is She?"  (Read 13251 times)

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cork to Australia "Where is She?"
« on: Saturday 01 January 11 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Mary Hawkes formerly Davis from all accounts was born in Cork about 1831.

This I have established through the birth certificate of my great grandfather, Thomas Hawk es born 8 June 1861 at Gundaroo, New South Wales, Australia.

The Informant on this certificate was John Hawkes, Father of Gundaroo.
John list himself as Shepherd, 49 years old from Staffordshire.

John was born/christened 25 December 1817,Saint Matthew, Walsall, England.

John had also been married prior to being married to Mary in 27 March 1837 to Jane  formerly Hawkins.

Unfortunately for John Hawkes he was convicted of a felony and given 7 years to Australia. He never was to see Jane again which is when John married Mary Davis and had another family in Australia.

The marriage certificate of Mary & John gives little information with no parents listed.

It States John Hawkes of the parish of Seymour & Mary Ann Davis of the Parish of Seymour, were married in this house of Mr.McLain by License with Consent of William Austin, this 28th Day of February 1852, by William Singleton. The registrar was signed with John Hawkes using his mark, X and Mary Ann Davis signing her name.
William Austin was one of the party to witness and the other witness  is illegible.

To date a death for Mary has not been found and is proving to be difficult.

I Would like to establish her family before coming to Australia  and her arrival into Australia.

I did take a brief look into Mary being an orphan, and found an entry listed which could be her but given the lack of info on Mary felt I could not confirm or deny this.
The Entry was listed  in Irish Famine Orphans in Australia,
Mary Davis,18, Cork,C of E, Mr.John Clarke, Bourke Street,9Pounds, 6 months

As far as the religion of the Family, John Hawkes was buried as C of E in 1894. And as far as I know the Hawkes family on my line have all been Presbyterian/Uniting.

If you can help  me out with the next step to further my research into the Davis Line I would love to hear from you
Regards
85jbk
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cork to Australia "Where is She?"
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 11 06:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Where did John Hawkes die?  Is this his death registration?

1894  John HAWKS, parents Thomas and Sarah reg at DUBBO 

And I am assuming the birth of Thomas (b Gundaroo 1861) is the one on NSW BMDs registered at Queanbeyan?

Was the marriage in Victoria?  Do you think there may have been child/ren born there? 

I could not see anything much for him except his convict record which shows he was convicted at Stafford and Walsall quarter sessions, 11 October 1837 (Jane didn't have him for long!), transported for 7 years, voyage date 27 July 1838 to NSW on the Earl Grey.

Sorry - not much help at all  :(
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Judb,

The marriage listed by 85jbk does appear in Victoria:

HAWKS John m. DAVIS Mary Ann 1852 #25677
Denomination: Church of England
Parish: KILMORE

There doesn't appear to be any births of children registered in VIC.

Offline mum mum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Warnock and Annie Balcombe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 January 11 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you the death certificate for John Hawks senior [his death certificate should mention his wife] and also followed up William born 1859. There could be others with different spellings too. [William J Hawke at Patricks Plain 1857 /4066]

Sometimes marriage certificates can give information about whether a parent is still alive or you may be lucky and witnesses can provide a clue. It is sometimes worthwhile to find the rest of a family in trying to search for one member.
mummum
Balcombe, Sussex. Warnes, Norfolk and Australia. Hansen, Denmark and Canada. Williams, Canada. Warnock, Forsythe, Joyce, Sayers, in Ireland.

Offline 85jbk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 January 11 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Judb
Thanks for your input, much appreciated. :) Yes the death you mentioned is correct as is the b of Thomas at Quenbeyan.
As mentioned by Merlin the marriage was in Victoria. Thank You Merlin. :)
There were in fact 5 children of the marriage, three born in Victoria and two born in Gundaroo. Tricky with this one and took me a long time to track down the baptism of the first child Sarah at Seymour in Victoria. She was born 16Th December 1852 and Baptised 29 October 1854. Mary Ann was next and her information came from a copy of a Death Transcription, that her daughter was an informant on. This gives her pob at Seymour C1855. No actual birth recording to date. Next is John Joseph Hawkes, also with only information from another certificate. This time his marriage certificate which states he was born in Melbourne C1862, However on the death certificate of John it states Carcoar, both are possible. Next is William born 27 January 1859 and died at Gundaroo 27 July 1860. Lastely is my Great grandfather Thomas Hawkes born 1861.
Thanks mum mum for your suggestion, the question is what if you have already been down that track? I am now going over all my research in the hope something pops out at me. Still waiting...
I actually considered Mary remarring as she was all that much younger than her husband John. Some 19 years difference. So when John Died in 1894 he was 76 years old therefore Mary had to be 57. On second thoughts not likely :-\
Oh how can I make the next move?
Look forward to your replies guys...
85jbk
Wells-Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Carlyle -Eaglesfield,Dumfrieshire
Underwood - Ruthwell,Dumfrieshire
Grierson - Ruthwell,Dumfrishire
O'Halloran- Limerick
Bryan (O'Brien)Limerick
Hawks/Hawkes - Staffordshire, England
Badgery - Staffordshire, England
Davis-  Cork- Ireland
Neville - Ireland
O'Toole - Limerick

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 January 11 08:32 GMT (UK) »
Can you give us the details of where John died & is buried from 1894 & possibly the last year & place that you have confirmed Mary to be alive?

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 January 11 08:43 GMT (UK) »
I see John HAWKES was assigned to Mr George Porter in Victoria.

Do you know when he was sent to or arrived in Victoria?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 January 11 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi 85jbk

I thought there may have been other children as there is 9 years between the marriage and the birth of Thomas in 1861.

I'm a bit confused re DoBs.  Your first post suggests 1831 for Mary Ann, but if there was 29 years difference this would make her DoB 1842 - a bit young to be married and a mother  :-\ (Could be my arithmetic ::) )

Also if John was 49 in 1861 this points to a DoB of c1812.  I realise that there are often discrepancies in records (not made any easier by John not being able to read) but it makes the searches even more difficult.

There is a record on the PROV assisted passengers for:
Mary Ann Davis, 17 (b abt 1831)
Arriving 13 Dec 1848 at Geelong
Ship: Lady Kennaway

Unfortunately none of the index entries give her nationality.  She appears to be the only DAVIS on that ship (and your Mary Ann appears to have no relatives at her wedding).  There are 3 records for her
Book 4 p169;  
Book 4 p159
Book 4B p2

I can do a lookup next week at the NLA but other 'chatters may have quicker access.  Seems to me it's worth having a look, especially in the light of what I foujnd below:

Aha - further hunting reveals an account of the arrival of the Lady Kennaway in The Argus,  Friday 8 December 1848.  The ship was carrying Irish orphan girls aged 14-18.  So this record now seems very possible, and could well fit with the info you already have from the Irish Famine Orphans.  (An amusing aside - the captain had 'mislaid the manifest' so The Argus was unable to publish a list of the cargo  :o )

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/4766359?searchTerm=geelong%20AND%20"lady%20kennaway"&searchLimits=exactPhrase=lady+kennaway|||anyWords|||notWords|||l-textSearchScope=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||fromdd|||frommm|||fromyyyy=1848|||todd|||tomm|||toyyyy=1848|||l-word=*ignore*%7C*ignore*|||sortby

Judith

Edit to add: John's death on the NSW BMD index is in my first reply - however it is only the registration so he may have died elsewhere.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 January 11 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I could see his death reg, I was just hoping for some further detailed information to try & trace Mary's death 8)