Author Topic: Advice -cannot seem to find anything  (Read 2934 times)

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice -cannot seem to find anything
« on: Saturday 01 January 11 21:39 GMT (UK) »
HI

I was wandering if anyone can give me some advice?  I have tried all of the family search sites, and become a member of ancestry and Emerald Ancestry and still cannot come up with any of my family members.  I know that the children were all illegitimate from 1880 t0 1901, do you think this would make a difference?  I know on the census that they were born in Armagh.   I have spoken with the Catholic  library in Armagh who gave me a wealth of information  but feel guilty to keep pestering them, do you think my next step in actually employing someone?

My family lived in Kilmore  and Loughall.

Sam x

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice -cannot seem to find anything
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 January 11 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have very little in the way of Irish records. Children, illegitimate or otherwise, should have been registered when they were born- have you checked for them in civil registration index? (it's possible they are listed as 'male' or 'female' without first name being chosen or even under a different surname)-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Another problem can be the spelling of the surname- LDS sites will give some variations but think Emerald Ancestors needs exact spelling when searching.
Another possiblity is that the details in the census are not 100% accurate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 January 11 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey.  Well i tried the fathers names as the child's surname but that still did not come up with anything.  The only thing that does look a little promising is the Roots Ireland website but 'Cullen' in Armagh is quite common and I think the site is quite expensive, especially if the record is the wrong one.

The problem also is is that my great grandmother who was Cullen and had children from different fathers, we are uncertain if  that was her birth surname or if she ever was married to a Cullen.  IN 1901 census it says she is a spinster and the 1911 a widow (ahhhhhhhh).  Would you suggest to employ a researcher from Armagh, give them as much info as possible and for them to look into the Church Records in Richill.  I know her daughter was married in the catholic church there so would assume that would of been Sarah Cullen's church?   This is so frustrating....

Thank you for your help and Happy New Year.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Religion is listed in census records so that should confirm if she was Catholic. Illegitimate children should have been registered with mother's name (at the time of birth).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 January 11 00:13 GMT (UK) »
you could try this

https://www.familysearch.org/

in details just put  Cullen

1870/1910

ireland

you will find a good mixture of the cullen families
and its free

sylvia
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline samanthac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 January 11 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, but again no luck  :'(

If there is anyone in the Richill area in Armagh who would love to help a lost soul in England feel free to contact me  ;)!

Sam x