Author Topic: John Mcalpine Berwickshire Militia  (Read 5577 times)

Offline snowsell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mcalpine Berwickshire Militia
« on: Sunday 02 January 11 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I am desperate to go back another generation of my family and find the parents of John Mcalpine who married Margaret Donaldson in 1807 in Haddington. He was in the Berwickshire Militia at the time and I have been told by the National Archives of Scotland in Edinburgh that his enlisting papers might be with them, maybe giving an age or whereabouts in Scotland he was born etc. He did look at one item and said that John and Margaret were in Linlithgow and claiming an allowance from the Militia for two children, George and Elizabeth, between 1811 and 1813.

I estimate John was born between 1780 ad 1790 - I went with the completely wrong parents going by information from Scotland's People (and loads of wasted credits!) and am now back to square 1.

Many thanks - Jill

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • GG gf Robert. Born Ireland 1865. Died USA 1941.
    • View Profile
Re: John Mcalpine Berwickshire Militia
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 February 11 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill,one of my lot was a drummer in the Linlithgow militia about the same time.

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.
YORKSHIRE: Cudworth Smith Cope Coulton Hainsworth

Offline snowsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 February 11 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi George - do you mean he was a Mcalpine?

Jill

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 11 11:13 GMT (UK) »
No Jill,a Pate,but I noticed your post while trying to find something out about the militia and saw the dates were the same.I see you mention that the National Archives may have details of enlistment.Have you had any luck with that?

George.
SCOTLAND: Wardlaw Steen/Stein Tweedie McBride McEwan Pate/Peat Brown Somerville Bishop Farier/Ferrier Wood  Torrance Gibb Ross Dunlop Downs Richardson Ramsey Story Snaddon/Sneddon Auld Allan McLean McInnes Mason Law Lawson Kerr Cockburn Christie Ballingall Wardrope Weir Wallace Scott.
IRELAND: Welsh Clifford Lee Allingham Keane Dale Robinson Greer McVey Bingham Skelton Carson Broomfield Clark McEwan/McKeown McCreary McLaughlan.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 February 11 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gill

He certainly looks to have been in Linlithgowshire for the period that you mention and thereafterwards. There are a number of children showing to John and Margaret on IGI, a combination of submitted entries and actual extract from the OPRs:

George b.1810 England
Jane/Jean b. 1816 Linlithgow
Margaret b. 1818 Linlithgow
John b. 1823 Linlithgow
Stewart (female) b. 1825 Linlithgow

This looks a possible 1841 census entry for them:

John McAlpin, 55 shoe m. b. Scotland
Margaret McAlpin, 55 b. b. Scotland
Stewart, 15

Address: High Street, Linlithgow

Monica  :)

Added: Jill, I would think you probably already have all this info I have posted as there are numerous posts on the family on other forums...sorry to duplicate.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline snowsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Monica - thank you very much for that info, which I do have, but it's always worth passing on, you never know. Are you researching a particular family name in the area?

Please see my next message to George!

Offline snowsell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 February 11 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi George -  I have emailed the National Archives of Scotland and they did come up with a very helpful reply with various records about the Berwickshire Militia which I could look up - at their office in Edinburgh obviously! - but they did slip one bit of info in, a freebie for my trouble I suppose, which was that John Mcalpine a soldier and wife Margaret were claiming money for two children, George and Elizabeth. She was completely out of the blue. Apparently you could claim for children while you were serving.

Jill

Offline Seoras

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jill.I have three requests in with them at the moment,I will give them time to reply to those first :)

By the way if those are your McAlpines,my Pate's were also living on Linlithgow High St.It seems to have been a hotbed for shoemakers.

George.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 February 11 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Jill

One research route is the National Archives of Scotland (NAS), the other is the National Archives at Kew. I found this there for example:

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=7&CATID=-4107667&j=1

Not sure whether the date of 1803 is his discharge date.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk