Author Topic: Sarah HARRIS/WILLIAMS/HUMPHRIES/SMITH b.1815 Burford  (Read 10815 times)

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Sarah HARRIS/WILLIAMS/HUMPHRIES/SMITH b.1815 Burford
« on: Tuesday 04 January 11 17:54 GMT (UK) »
1)

I am trying to find out what happened to a Sarah HARRIS baptised at Burford in 1815. I can't find a burial or marriage for her in Burford. Does anyone know what became of her?

2)

Looking at it the other way around, out of the Sarahs born in Burford c.1815 who are listed on the 1851 census, does anyone know the maiden names, or marriage details, of the following three:-

HO107    1731    423    1     
WILLIAMS, Sarah    1815    Witney Union    Oxfordshire - WIFE OF SAMUEL WILLIAMS b. 1808 BLANKET WEAVER

HO107    1968    743    20     
HUMPHRIS, Sarah   1815    Cirencester    Gloucestershire - WIFE OF WM HUMPHIRES b.1810-1 BURFORD PLASTERER

HO107    1688    19    15 
SMITH, Sarah    1813    Abingdon    Berkshire - WIFE OF WM SMITH b.1811 WITNEY POSTBOY

Thanks  :)

N.B. I have ruled out the following Sarahs from the 1851 census:-

MUNEY, Sarah    1815    Witney    Oxfordshire - WIFE OF CHARLES MUNDY? b.BURFORD PALSTERER
PARKER, Sarah    1816    Witney    Oxfordshire - WIFE OF THO PARKER b.1818 BURFORD AGR LAB
SMITH, Sarah    1813    Witney    Oxfordshire - WIFE OF MATTHEW SMITH b. 1819 BURFORD SAWYER
WYATT, Sarah   1817   Reading    Berkshire - WIDOW of THOMAS WYATT, TAILOR
HIGGINS, Sarah    1813    Witney Union    Oxfordshire - UNMARRIED

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah HARRIS/WILLIAMS/HUMPHRIES/SMITH b.1815 Burford
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 May 11 23:40 BST (UK) »
In the Burford registers themselves, there is only 1 Sarah Harris chr Feb 11 1815 d/o George & Sarah.  George is a Carpenter.  I had a quick look at Witney St Mary but could find nothing marriage or burial wise.  I'll have a look at the other Witney area regs over the next few days if you are still searching for her.

Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Hutton/Newton/Wilson/Mullender/Little/Wright - Lancs/Cumbria
Brooks/Groves/Martin/Dormer - Oxfordshire
Collins - Bishopsgate/Spitalfields
Taylor/Willis/Wiffin/Lord - Cambs
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Draper/Brewer/Lester/Brown/Cole/Eddolls/Crook/Barrett/Styles - Wiltshire
Seares, Massey, Nevill, Nevell, Stannett, Dancer, Hammerton, Wilcox - Bucks
Currier - Berks
Prater/Clargo/Paice/Challis/Baughurst - Hants

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 May 11 08:21 BST (UK) »
She is still missing so if you can find it would be great. Thanks.

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 May 11 23:13 BST (UK) »
Have found no mention in marriages or burials for: Asthall, Bampton, Broughton Poggs, Burford apart from christening, Burford Baptist, Cote Baptist, Ducklington, Kencot, Shilton, Cogges, Curbridge, Eynsham, Hailey, Witney Holy Trinity, Witney Cemetary, Witney Congregational, Witney Indep and Baptist.

In Blackbourton regs
Burial 1860 Jul 4 Harris Sarah from Kelmscott age 41yrs

This is as far as I've got today but will have another look later in the week in the other regs.

Even though nothing found so far, at least it rules out others.  There are many Harrises in the area and a few Sarahs but their ages have usually ruled them out or I have tied another birth to a marriage.

Regards
Steph
Stevenson/Piper/Winchester/Wenham/Avery/Muddle/Funnell/Pardon/Virgo - East Sussex
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steph. Yep, Harrises in that area are tricky, especially Sarah's. I suspect her father, "George", came from Blackbourton, so that burial is definitely a candidate.

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 June 11 22:44 BST (UK) »
Sarah no marriage in Minster Lovell,  Ramsden, Shifford, Standlake, Stanton Harcourt, Swinbrook, Taynton (1 in 1828 but too early), Widford, Wilcote, Yelford, Alvescot, Aston Bampton, Brize Norton, Clanfield, Filkins, Fulbrook, Hanborough, Holwell, Lew, North Leigh, Northmoor, Westwell.

Except
A marriage in Southleigh Jan 5 1857 Sarah Harris, servant d/o Jonathon Harris, lab to James Whitlock, wid, shoemaker of Eynsham but she is d/o Jonathon so wrong one.

Re George:

Have found a George Haries chr 1 Feb 1788 s/o Wm & Eliz.  Blackbourton

(I have a Lucy Harris in my tree b c. 1714 Long Combe d. Minster Lovell.  Unfortunately there is a break in the regs for the vital christening years for Lucy so I will probably never know her ancestry for sure.. Annoying as there are so many Harris's in the area).

Regards
Steph
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 June 11 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Steph.  :)

Is your Lucy the one that married Edward Brooks in 1735?

Offline Steph

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 June 11 15:23 BST (UK) »
That's the one (Brooks is my maiden name).

Steph
 ;D
Barrett/Wiffin - Essex
Currier - Berks

Offline supermoussi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 June 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Steph,

Surely Lucy's ancestry is:-

Giles HARRIS
Forrest HARRIS, Yeoman, b.1653 m. Alice SALTER Will Proved 1681
Richard HARRIS , Yeoman, b.1678 m. Mary SAUNDERS 1706 Will Proved 1746
Lucy HARRIS m. Edw BROOKES 1735

There was an early FORREST family living in Combe so presumably Giles or his father married one. Perhaps checking the FORREST wills will confirm this?? Obviously this explains the naming of Lucy Forest BROOKES bapt 1738 Minster Lovell too.

I and others have speculated about whether the Combe HARRISes and the Minster Lovell ones were the same family. They both had a liking for the names Giles. In itself it doesn't really prove anything as Giles was a name used by several families in Oxon from the 1300s and it slowly spread to other families by marriage, so there is no reason why two or more different HARRIS families couldn't have used the name.

There were HARRISes in Minster Lovell in the 1500s but the name Giles was not used until the 1600s when a Robert HARRIS (Will Proved 1641) & Joan his wife had a child called Giles HARRIS and the name then stuck for several generations. So on the one hand perhaps Robert was descended from the earlier Minster Lovells Harrises, and the name Giles was introduced by his wife, Joan's, family but on the other perhaps he was not connected to the earlier Harrises and came from elsewhere?

If the latter, perhaps he and Giles HARRIS of Combe came from the same place? Seeing as Forrest baptised his first child, John Forrest HARRIS up at Cornwall perhaps he had links a bit further noth-west? There were several Giles Harrises up at Churchill but unfortunately their wills/admons (that I have seen) were not very informative.

Incidentally, did Edward or Lucy or their family leave any wills that may have clues to the Combe (Minster Lovell?) HARRIS side of things?