Author Topic: Convict ship to Bermuda 1840  (Read 9979 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Convict ship to Bermuda 1840
« Reply #27 on: Friday 28 August 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
William Wilson (the man you found a marriage for) was convicted on 2 March 1846 at Salford, Mary was convicted on 2 April 1846 at Bolton.

Oops - yes you are quite right.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 28 August 15 13:12 BST (UK) »
The one who stole the crimson was convicted too late to be on the Scotia.

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 August 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
The one who stole the crimson was convicted too late to be on the Scotia.

Thank you so much ShaunJ.  Do you know what date she sailed?
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 August 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
From newspaper reports, the convicts were taken from the hulks and put aboard the Scotia on Friday 24th April 1846. The ship would have set sail shortly thereafter.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 28 August 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
From the quarterly returns of prisoners, William Wilson born 1816 convicted at Salford General Sessions 2 March 1846 and sentenced to 14 years for larceny (previous conviction for a felony was noted) was:
initially on the hulk Warrior on the Thames at Woolwich where the return for 30 June 1846 records that he was sent on the Scotia to Bermuda on 24 April 1846 (confirmation of ShaunJ's findings). (It was normal for prisoners to be incarcerated on a hulk somewhere in UK awaiting the next transport to their destination, bit like the departure lounge at Gatwick only with fewer shops.

The return for the hulk "Thames" at Bermuda for 30 Jun 1846 records his first "muster" (ie appearance on a quarterly return) and also records his arrival on Scotia 8 June 1846.

His appearances on subsequent musters have not been looked at (4 times 14 years with slowish broadband!) There will very likely be one that will records his return to England, probably before 14 years have elapsed.

The other William born 1811(Liverpool stealing crimson tammis (a lightweight worsted wool fabric) was not finally sentenced until Liverpool Borough Sessions on 11 May 1846 (the earlier newspaper report was an earlier hearing at which he was committed for trial).  He was on the Tenedos hulk in Bermuda by the time of the September 1846 muster.

Have a good weekend

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 28 August 15 22:48 BST (UK) »
From newspaper reports, the convicts were taken from the hulks and put aboard the Scotia on Friday 24th April 1846. The ship would have set sail shortly thereafter.

And Wilson from Liverpool wasn't convicted until 11th May.  But how do we know the "Scotia" sailed before this Wilson was taken aboard?

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 28 August 15 22:53 BST (UK) »
From the quarterly returns of prisoners, William Wilson born 1816 convicted at Salford General Sessions 2 March 1846 and sentenced to 14 years for larceny (previous conviction for a felony was noted) was:
initially on the hulk Warrior on the Thames at Woolwich where the return for 30 June 1846 records that he was sent on the Scotia to Bermuda on 24 April 1846 (confirmation of ShaunJ's findings). (It was normal for prisoners to be incarcerated on a hulk somewhere in UK awaiting the next transport to their destination, bit like the departure lounge at Gatwick only with fewer shops.

The return for the hulk "Thames" at Bermuda for 30 Jun 1846 records his first "muster" (ie appearance on a quarterly return) and also records his arrival on Scotia 8 June 1846.

His appearances on subsequent musters have not been looked at (4 times 14 years with slowish broadband!) There will very likely be one that will records his return to England, probably before 14 years have elapsed.

The other William born 1811(Liverpool stealing crimson tammis (a lightweight worsted wool fabric) was not finally sentenced until Liverpool Borough Sessions on 11 May 1846 (the earlier newspaper report was an earlier hearing at which he was committed for trial).  He was on the Tenedos hulk in Bermuda by the time of the September 1846 muster.

Have a good weekend

maxD

Wow thank you BOTH so much, you have nailed it!!!!! 

Can I please ask Max where you got these records from as Anc is free this weekend though I may not have much time to look. 

So gratifying when loose ends are tied up.  Now I move onto my next female convict.  Max and Shaun if you are interested, the Female Convict Research Centre is always looking for volunteers.  I am quite new at it and it is SO interesting.

http://www.femaleconvicts.org.au/

I've been involved in a few volunteer projects over the years but this is the most fascinating thing I've ever done.  :D

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 29 August 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
You are very welcome, enjoyed it immensely.

The quarterly returns are on FindMyPast under Institutions and Organisations.  Clue is not to put in a keyword, search under name, dob and date of event (1846 in our cases).  They don't come up in any order and, as I said before, you have to check the beginning of the return to find its date although the number of musters attended gives a clue.  There are also records of correspondence relating to convicts such as transfers from one prison to another.  Salford man returned home on the brig "James" 31 August 1852 (quarterly return for 30 Sep 1852).  (There are some later newspaper reports relating to a brig "James" but there are clearly more than one vessel of that name and I can't find a specific return from Bermuda.  There is a Bermuda registered "James" in Lloyds Register).

For completeness, the crimson tammis stealer was pardoned and given passage to Halifax Nova Scotia 4 Jan 1850 (recorded in the 31 Mar 1850 return). 

Ancestry has UK Hulk info 1802-1849 (so we won't find Salford man returned date there), very useful UK criminal registers 1791-1892 and some other odd crime related sets.  Essentially, one need to work with the two sites I think.  (Other genealogy sites are available).

Although neither female or a convict, I'll check out the site :).

ShaunJ - fistbump!

Rgds

maxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 02 September 15 06:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you SO MUCH Max and you too of course Shaun you have both been most helpful  :D

When my 3 month sub to The Genealogist runs out I will look at getting Ancestry as well as continuing with FindMyPast.  Thanks for the heads ups on who holds what too Max.

Have a great day  :D